It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian government to immediately explore buying F-18E/F

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Snippythehorse

UAVs aren't capable of air to air and won't be for years. Air to ground, yes, air to air, no. There are far too many issues to overcome.

Manned aircraft aren't going anywhere anytime soon. They'll be supplemented by unmanned aircraft as they are now, but won't be replaced for longer than you think.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB

Canada is in dire need of a major refit of it's armed forces. Honestly the F-35B should be considered. The F-35 B could be deployed on LHD's that could be procured to prowl and patrol the northern shipping routes and submarine lanes along with ASW Helicopters. Between the US, UK, Italy, Spain, and France (and to a lesser extent: South Korea or Japan) there are plenty of clear options to buy LHD/F-35 capable vessels along with destroyers and corvettes. There are reasonable ways to build a decent Navy for cheap with how automated everything has become. The F-35 could also be deployed from small outposts to the north with small airstrips and climate controlled bunkers to eliminate the range issue. The F-35B should really be in every non-US country's planning. It's so versatile and instantly gives the buyer super-power like projection capabilities.

I love the SH but compared to the F-35 it's just not the ideal solution for any country wanting the most for its investment.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Caughtlurking

Honestly if I were in the Canadian MoD I'd give the C a look. Yes it's optimized for carrier ops, but it's got a bigger wing, larger fuel payload, and longer combat radius.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow, talk about taking a bizarre twist. The Canadian government has made 235 people sign a lifetime NDA, putting this deal on the order of JTF 2 operations.

www.nationalpost.com.../news/canada/canadian-politics/more-than-200-officials -forced-to-sign-lifetime-gag-order-on-fighter-jets
edit on 11/25/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
www.nationalpost.com.../news/canada/canadian-politics/more-than-200-officials -forced-to-sign-lifetime-gag-order-on-fighter-jets

National Post links blow.

For any following along, scroll down and click on Politics, the article Zaphod is referring to should be the 2nd on the list.

Or try this link:
news.nationalpost.com...[editby ]edit on 25-11-2016 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Yet another twist.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yet another another twist

CF18 Crash

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkpr0

If it was in a weapons range, it was probably CFIT from target fixation. I'm sure the government will try to twist it into proof the aircraft are old and in desperate need of replacement, and the fact that he died proves it.

posted on Nov, 28 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Darkpr0
I'm sure the government will try to twist it into proof the aircraft are old and in desperate need of replacement, and the fact that he died proves it.

The entire exercise has political in nature since the very beginning, so I would wager that you are correct. The crash is almost certainly not a technical issue, but it's an easy source of political fuel to an already overly political wildfire

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

We will not buy the F-35 stealth fighter-bomber.

We will immediately launch an open and transparent competition to replace the CF-18 fighter aircraft. The primary mission of our fighter aircraft should remain the defence of North America, not stealth first-strike capability.

We will reduce the procurement budget for replacing the CF-18s, and will instead purchase one of the many, lower-priced options that better match Canada’s defence needs.

www.liberal.ca...

Nothing about no bid contracts, they flat out stated they will NOT buy the F-35. Period.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Shadow shooting?Not first time a pilot has been killed doing it.Glassy water and hazy air..Not a good combination.

RAB

posted on Dec, 9 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Sadly Replica is long dead and were used to buy a sent at the top table of the JSF project.

It's being used as a test bed for thing i.e. RAM and internal fittings etc

But will never see flight.

RAB

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2   >>

join