It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Empty chairs at the Thanksgiving Table

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Of course I've heard stories about friends/family cutting each other off because..... ELECTION..... but it's always strange to experience something first hand.

This being the first year in our new house, my wife and I are of course hosting Thanksgiving (which is something we've essentially done in the past but geographically at my parents' house because our apartment was too small).

I'm not terribly close with my brother. Typically I see him and his wife and stepdaughter a few times each year for birthdays or various holidays.

Admittedly, he is a Hillbot. That is not to say he is simply a Hillary supporter. He's one of those full-on all-out, constant meme posting, Hillary is as pure as the driven snow type of bot. That, in and of itself, I honestly don't care about.

I haven't spoken to him in a few months. Nor did I boast to/towards him after the election. In life and on ATS, I've said well before the election that no matter who wins, I'll be going about my regular routine.

So last week I did the ol' triple-play of contact to extend the Thanksgiving invitation. I left a message on his cell, shot him a text and left a message on his home phone. I didn't hear anything back which is a little strange, yet not completely unheard of.

It wasn't until earlier when I was talking with my sister when the topic of my brother came up. Upon hearing what she had to say I was shocked. "What?!?!?! He's not coming to Thanksgiving because... TRUMP!?!?! Are you sh-tting me?!?!""

So there you have it.

In the spirit of full disclosure, part of me is a bit glad they won't be attending. Not because of politics but because that wife of his.... ugh. I do have to admit though, I feel bad for my son who likes his crazy uncle. I feel bad for my parents because it's not often they get to spend time with most of their kids/grandkids under one roof. I also feel bad for my brother and his wife and stepdaughter.... as I know they don't cook and although I could definitely be wrong, I have a vision of them sitting around their apartment on Thanksgiving for no good reason.

It's one thing to hear about absurdity like this. It's very odd (to put it mildly) to experience it first hand.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

That's sad to hear. I kinda sorta know the feeling. I got much grief from some family members last election for not voting Romney... I didn't vote Obama either, but listening to them you still would have thought I re-elected Obama single-handedly!

If you want to go the extra mile, maybe shoot him a text or an email and tell him that you're disappointed they are not planning on attending, and offer to make it a politics-free evening, knowing how much it would mean to your mom and son to have him there.

It would be an especially nice gesture on your part, and he may just respond in kind

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You could tell him you're serving crow and he could bring some "humble pie".

hahahahaha (evil chuckle)

But seriously,

Being the black sheep of our family, I can sympathize with being ostracized during the holidays.

It's never nice.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   
you refer to your brother as a " hilbot " - he will declines social invitations

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Honestly, you're lucky that everyone is alive and healthy. My family is dwindling fast and I am thankful for everyone in it, regardless of ideology.

Your bro will come around.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

He'll come around. Or he won't. Me and my older sister are polar opposite politically and pretty much on anything else. That being said we love each other's company and would never let the fact we differ on everything separate us. Shouldn't even be an issue.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
How very sad to hear this. I can't imagine politics getting in the way of family love. He may regret his decision. Who knows, maybe he might even show up. If not, it is a petty and selfish decision he has made.

May you and your family have a lovely Thanksgiving in spite of his absence.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Though I have much to be thankful for this Holiday season, I am going to forgo family get togethers. My time is best spent working; actually blessed to have that opportunity.

I can do without the gloating and namecalling that will be rampant in Texas. I really don't have anything in common with my family anyway.

It is sad to see families fragment because of ideology, religion or just ordinary disfunction. I forgot to mention "money" the usual culprit.
edit on 22-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My daughter hasn't talked to me since the election and unfriended me on Facebook (after flipping me off via a middle finger emoji) because I didn't vote for Hillary Clinton.

I don't like it, but I still sleep at night.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I hate to see a family divided over people that really will have no part in their lives. Family always first I say. Hopefully you and your brother can overlook the difference in political stances and put the value of family first. I would love to have a get together of the type my family had when I was a child but that's a distant memory. My parents divorced, i'm divorced, other members of the family are scattered and don't talk and the the rest are dead.

The very emphasis of Thanksgiving is to be thankful for what you have. So be thankful that you have family that are alive and well and still communicate. A fractured and broken family is a horrible thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I guess I'm guilty of it though. My daughter's friend and her dad kind of tried to invite themselves over for Thanksgiving and I said not this year. I like the guy (we'll call him "Mr. B"), but he doesn't understand the Don't Talk About Politics At The Dinner Table rule and I just couldn't cope with him (avid Trump supporter) and my mother (avid Hillary supporter). Although my mom probably wouldn't bring up politics, she also wouldn't be able to help herself if Mr. B started talking (which he would). I had to opt in favor of family and some peace. I feel bad, but I was backed into a corner a bit.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Fortunately, my family was virtually unanimous in our disdain/loathing for she who will never be named again, and the new President-elect.

I think most of us voted third party. But even had some voted for that person, it wouldn't have mattered a bit. We aren't really close enough geographically to spend any holiday time together, but politics would never play a roll in it not happening.

Hopefully, it'll work out differently in the future.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Redneck say:

"Them who puts politics a'fore family ain't a-gonna win at neither."

You're describing a very particular brand of evil, OP. I hope your brother recovers from it soon... sheesh, I'm pretty good at being a crazy old uncle, and I don't need politics to do it.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
My sister in law stopped coming to Holidays at my house many years ago because she's a horrid, judgmental, ugly person who hates our guts for no good reason. No matter how much we reach out to her, try to be nice to her, invite her to family events, she just. won't. come.

We are all the same religion and even share political views, so it's definitely NOT about Trump vs Hillary, though. She is just a hyper-judgmental, hateful, angry person. We walk on eggshells when she is around but nothing we do is ever good enough and she always finds fault with something - vocally and loudly - no matter how hard we try to appease her.

My husband always says that when his mother passes away we will probably never have anything to do with her again. We can't waste any more time trying to rebuild bridges if she is just going to keep burning them down.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Why would you want a toxic person at your family table anyway?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

This was an interesting article that was written in the Star Tribune out of the Twin cities in MN. Kind of made me think how messed up in the head people are about an election. Good read I recommend. Be a good thread also.
www.startribune.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I guess they can proudly proclaim how "not racist" they are by enriching the local Chinese restaurant with their custom and wear their safety pins.

It is sad though that some will cut off their noses to spite their face.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It's your brother's loss.

Enjoy the ones that choose to surround you and your wife in your new home and enjoy their company. Maybe he will be through pouting like a tittie baby by next year. Let him have his silent tantrum for now, and keep your heart open.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well geez, if you were my sibling & oh-so-lovingly referred to me as a pejorative political backhand term, I'd skip out on you, too.

As they say, you reap what you sow. At 32 years of age, I as of yet still do not know either of my brothers' political affiliations, and just in the last week found out via someone else my dad's. Never knew he was a Republican, it apparently wasn't important enough for him to make known.

If you use politics as discussion fodder at the family dinner table, it'll eventually be empty. Never do it.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

It's your brother's loss.

Enjoy the ones that choose to surround you and your wife in your new home and enjoy their company. Maybe he will be through pouting like a tittie baby by next year. Let him have his silent tantrum for now, and keep your heart open.

Look at the bright side -- While it sucks to have family members cut you off for something this petty, you are all healthy and otherwise doing well. And even though you will all be apart, you can still be thankful for continuing good health and relative well being.

The last two Thanksgivings for my family have been washes for us because my aunt had cancer one year and because the weather kept us all apart the next.

This will be the first time in three years that we've all been together over the meal.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join