It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

My mom was just Euthanized and I pulled the trigger.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Let me just say, I appreciate everything you've said. Yes, it sucks. The options available suck. However, that does not relieve the professionals making their living off your loved one's suffering should be given that as an excuse for not being as thorough and considered and informative as they should be.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoAngel2u
In my experience, most are sweet and manageable and only a few aren't and yes, unfortunately, that should have been the conversation as well as the drug options and benefits vs risk.

Doctors seem to often not come to the point. It would be more effective to just lay it out.

Dad was NOT one of the sweet manageable ones. When Mom broke her hip two years ago, SHE wasn't, either. She bolted and fell five or six times, and broke an arm to go with it. My choice was to physically restrain her until the meds wore off - she can't deal with benzos or opioids at ANY dosage and becomes pseudo-demented on them. I had to fire a couple of docs to get there, because their first choice was risperdal and geodon. That's what geriatric psych docs stroke right off the bat.

But to be fair, you need them for a lot of people to keep them functional at all at the end. If their mentation was normal, they wouldn't be demented.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
You did nothing wrong. Not having a choice is not the same as making your own decisions. Your mother knows you love her and definitely wouldn't blame you for her health failing. Love and prayers to you.

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Ridiculous on the face of it. They make money per head. No patients, no money. So they have no incentive whatever to kill off their patients.

Not entirely true. It depends on the type of facility they are in. I won't name names here, but there are a growing number of retirement communities which welcome seniors in while they are still independent with the promise that they can stay there for 'life'. The entry costs are steep (about $400,000 for my parents...plus an all-in on investments, etc.). They pay a monthly fee as long as they can (over and above the entry costs), and this is not cheap either. However, they are allowed to remain there, progressing from independent living to semi, to more managed and ultimately to full nursing home status.

Overall most of these facilities are excellent, and I believe my parents is one of them. However, once you get to the nursing home level, and all the money is gone, there is no longer much 'incentive' to aggressively look out for their future well being. I've witnessed it. Actual physicians visits become less and less and the care is placed almost solely in the hands of some of the nursing staff. And while most of these folks are awesome, the general trend seems to be as the patients become more problematic the more they are left on their own (in terms of care and re-evaluation).

Again, this is not true for all, but revenue/care is not always exclusively on a 'by head' basis.

On a side note, it sounds as if you have some tremendous knowledge of geriatric / psychiatric care and pharmaceuticals associated the same. Impressive. I wish I knew the names of the drugs they had Dad on; you could probably shed some light on them.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
JFYI she was in a govt run free daycare program.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

I want to thank-you for posting this thread topic.I am very sorry for the ordeal you
are going through.I will keep in mind what you posted and am now prepared if anyone
tries putting my husband on any of these drugs.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
sounds to me like you need to retain counsel for a wrongful death suit.

Im not a fan of respirdol, haldol, etc. That class of antipsychotics was the best we had in the 80's. Times have changed.

They should have treated her with soemthing to slow her down....but I think Haldol is what is typically given. Maybe depakote and some benzo's.

posted on Nov, 25 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
"

originally posted by: misskat1
a reply to: hutch622

Dementia patients are always looking for something. They dont know what,

Yeah. I have a family member who does this. Even was caught wandering the highway alone several times. A behavior that never occurred before the disorder. It's a Catch 22. Do you medicate their delusions or let them wander the streets and put them in danger?

Sure anti-psychotics have a demotivating aspect, especially if they need large doses, but it's better to have them tired and comfortable in bed versus getting hit by a car.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Just a quick update, mom passed away last night, peacefully in her sleep.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes. She is in a much better place. I am relieved for her to be released from her dying body.

Thank you again

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

my condolences, i hope that you and your family find a sense of peace in her passing. if that makes sense.
know that she is in a far better and happier place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join