It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mike Pence’s Iraq lie: The VP candidate (wrongly) announced the discovery of WMDs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The 2004 oops that was heard around the world.

Back in May 2004, the Iraq war wasn’t going particularly well. It had been over a year since George W. Bush had triumphantly landed on an aircraft carrier to declare semi-victory in the war he had initiated against Saddam Hussein’s regime, and the situation in Iraq had been steadily unraveling ever since. Insurgent attacks were on the rise, American human rights abuses had been uncovered at Abu Ghraib, and the weapons of mass destruction the Bush administration had warned were present in Iraq had not been discovered. The CIA’s former chief weapons inspector had said in January that, in all likelihood, those weapons did not exist.

Pence claimed that "Pieces" of weapons of mass destruction, this was to justify the War in Iraqi.

It wasn’t entirely clear what Pence meant by “pieces of his WMDs,” but he helpfully elaborated on this claim the following day. On May 20, 2004, Pence once again took to the floor of the House and said “I am here to report… weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq.”

Here’s what actually happened. Pence, in claiming that WMDs had been found, was way out ahead of the Bush administration itself, which was unwilling to wave around the discovery of these munitions as validation of its rationale for war. The reason the administration held back was simple: they weren’t the weapons Bush and his top officials had warned about. They were old munitions from the weapons program Saddam Hussein had discontinued in 1991. The Bush administration’s argument for the war was that the Iraqi dictator had restarted chemical weapons production and stockpiled new WMDs.

The actual WMD's were left overs from an experimental shell from an old weapons program (not what we were there to find). The reason we went to war was under the pretense that the WMD's were new and being produced.

Sure enough, it was later determined that the sarin shell was an experimental remnant from the Hussein regime’s old chemical weapons program. A few months after the discovery of those shells, the Iraq Survey Group released its final report which found that “while a small number of old, abandoned chemical munitions have been discovered, ISG judges that Iraq unilaterally destroyed its undeclared chemical weapons stockpile in 1991. There are no credible indications that Baghdad resumed production of chemical munitions thereafter.”
www.salon.com...

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

But we did find WMDs.

We found mustard gas artillery rounds. I saw them with my own eyes and destroyed a bunch of them.

That's not to say that we had any business being in Iraq, we didn't.
And we didn't come across the large stockpiles that the Govt led us to believe were there.

Also, Salon is not a legitimate source for anything other than left wing BS. No different than right wingers using the Blaze.
edit on 22-11-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I can tolerate Trump.
The alternative of Hillary was far worse and Trump does have a few good ideas hidden in his insane BS.

But Pence?

There is NOTHING redeeming I find in him. NOTHING. I pretty much disagree with everything he stands for.

He is a Authoritarian , insane, warmongering, idiotic, neocon piece of fundie scum.

Why Trump picked this loon I dont know. Hell Pence makes McCain look sane and moderate......

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

But we did find WMDs.

We found mustard gas artillery rounds. I saw them with my own eyes and destroyed a bunch of them.

That's not to say that we had any business being in Iraq, we didn't.
And we didn't come across the large stockpiles that the Govt led us to believe were there.

Also, Salon is not a legitimate source for anything other than left wing BS. No different than right wingers using the Blaze.

I read the article on that.

Yes there was shells with gas but they were built before 1991 and where not combat ready or likely even useable. And these were known and catalogued.

The WMD’s Bush and Blair where on about new and ready to deploy .

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
What you saw should have been verified and then the info should have been released to the world. Is there a reason it wasn't?
This is in the thread above.

The actual WMD's were left overs from an experimental shell from an old weapons program (not what we were there to find). The reason we went to war was under the pretense that the WMD's were new and being produced.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
What I fail to see anywhere in this......was he lying?

So was he reporting the information that had been given to him or was he lying?

This is a very important point. We have found that reports data has been changed before making it to Obama's desk, is this the case here also?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There is NOTHING redeeming I find in him.

He looks like 'Race Bannon'.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

yep.

He looks like 'Race Bannon'.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Oh dear god, by all means, let's put all of them under a microscope for everything they've said and done since birth. That will make a difference.......

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Right it's only dead Americans/Iraqis and trillions of $. But what the heck at least it wasn't in the gulf of Tonkin this time.

Oh dear god, by all means, let's put all of them under a microscope for everything they've said and done since birth. That will make a difference.......

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
The 2004 oops that was heard around the world.

Back in May 2004, the Iraq war wasn’t going particularly well. It had been over a year since George W. Bush had triumphantly landed on an aircraft carrier to declare semi-victory in the war he had initiated against Saddam Hussein’s regime, and the situation in Iraq had been steadily unraveling ever since. Insurgent attacks were on the rise, American human rights abuses had been uncovered at Abu Ghraib, and the weapons of mass destruction the Bush administration had warned were present in Iraq had not been discovered. The CIA’s former chief weapons inspector had said in January that, in all likelihood, those weapons did not exist.

Pence claimed that "Pieces" of weapons of mass destruction, this was to justify the War in Iraqi.

It wasn’t entirely clear what Pence meant by “pieces of his WMDs,” but he helpfully elaborated on this claim the following day. On May 20, 2004, Pence once again took to the floor of the House and said “I am here to report… weapons of mass destruction have been found in Iraq.”

Here’s what actually happened. Pence, in claiming that WMDs had been found, was way out ahead of the Bush administration itself, which was unwilling to wave around the discovery of these munitions as validation of its rationale for war. The reason the administration held back was simple: they weren’t the weapons Bush and his top officials had warned about. They were old munitions from the weapons program Saddam Hussein had discontinued in 1991. The Bush administration’s argument for the war was that the Iraqi dictator had restarted chemical weapons production and stockpiled new WMDs.

Sure enough, it was later determined that the sarin shell was an experimental remnant from the Hussein regime’s old chemical weapons program. A few months after the discovery of those shells, the Iraq Survey Group released its final report which found that “while a small number of old, abandoned chemical munitions have been discovered, ISG judges that Iraq unilaterally destroyed its undeclared chemical weapons stockpile in 1991. There are no credible indications that Baghdad resumed production of chemical munitions thereafter.”
www.salon.com...

As the little guys, we're never going to be in charge. Deal with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Not if we don't try.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I admire your optimism. Right now my family is going full survival mode, just in case.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I know it's tough.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Time will tell how tough it's gonna be but stocking up is always worth it. One never knows when the time will come that it's needed.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I actually think he looks like 'The Albino' in Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn.

edit on 22-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Shhhhhh, that is your stuff.

And in case someone is listening, I don't believe in stocking up, just like you.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

More than a few were used in IEDs.

We're pretty sure they didn't know what they were when they rigged them up.

Every once in a while we'd find IEDs set up with smoke or illumination rounds.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I actually think he looks like 'The Albino' in Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn.

Yes, he looks like him too.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Greetings-

The invasion of Afghanistan was for the opium. Iraq was for the Stargate. Now I'm not a Shrub apologist BUT a Stargate could possibly kill 1 person to "many people" to "ALL of Us.." if they don't know what they're doing.. It took 10 years to dismantle it and take it out of the country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join