It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

DOJ fines Denver Sheriff Dept. for excluding noncitizens when hiring

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

The Denver Sheriff Department will accept a penalty from the Department of Justice after a federal probe found it wrongly made U.S. citizenship a job requirement during a recent hiring spree.

The sheriff's department — the biggest sheriff's office in Colorado — will pay a $10,000 fine after it required applications for deputy sheriff jobs to be U.S. citizens when hiring from the beginning of 2015 through March 2016. The department went on a hiring spree of 200 deputies as part of its ongoing reform.

LINK

The article linked above is a good example of how America was just about to reach the point of no return. Then Trump came along.

I don't think the most staunch liberals in the world could make sense of the logic used in the article linked above. It reminds me of how so many liberals don't want to deny illegals the ability to vote. Fining a sheriff's department for requiring applicants for deputy sheriff jobs to be U.S. citizens strikes me as being a lot worse than that.

I'll be looking forward to reading the liberal view on this issue. There must be some kind of explanation that makes sense here.
edit on 22-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Wow.... what the... : worlds gone bonkers.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If this article is real, this is totally nuts. What kind of logic goes into fines like this?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
"I'll be looking forward to reading the liberal view on this issue. There must be some kind of explanation that makes sense here."

Maybe not...

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

You realize, they don't mean illegals can get hired.

They mean permanent residents, people on work visas etc. People who aren't officially citizens, but are legally entitled to work.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Noncitizen does not mean illegal. You can be a legal noncitizen permanent resident - green card holders is one example. I'm sure the department is not getting fined for refusing to hire illegals. Big difference.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I'm not even going to go into some long winded rant. The list of stupid Liberal policies that need to be changed is getting pretty long.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Here here, Green skin, 8 arm aliens from other planets need jobs in America as well you know.

This US Citizen thing is just so wrong and against the Galactic Federation employment legislation paragraph 6-6-6. /sarcasm

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Why would you open up a government job to someone that's not even a citizen in the first place

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Would this be the same DOJ that leaned on the FBI something awful to keep clintons wrong doings a secret, and has generally gone around being a domestic terrorist from within the system for the last six years or so?

I thought so.

"Eliminating this unlawful citizenship requirement will help ensure that the Denver Sheriff Department hires the best and most qualified individuals to protect and serve. The entire community will benefit from these reforms," said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of the DOJ's Civil Rights Division, in a statement.

-From the source in OP

Yes. Why are they being punished for not hiring 'unlawful' citizens?
Shouldn't they be, ahem, arresting and deporting them?

Am I missing something about the law? I've never once been given a break on overstepping the boundaries of law.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy

Why would you open up a government job to someone that's not even a citizen in the first place

It's not a government job. It's the sheriff department, could be a for a secretary for all we know.

Besides, the government hires out people on Visas constantly for all kinds of government projects.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The article clearly says that the citizen requirement is unlawful, not the hiring of 'unlawful' citizens as you suggest.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

originally posted by: avgguy

It's not a government job. It's the sheriff department, could be a for a secretary for all we know.

Besides, the government hires out people on Visas constantly for all kinds of government projects.

~Tenth
Sheriff's dept employees work for state govt. even the secretaries. That being said. I'm sure they will gladly pay this fine.
edit on 22-11-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

AH good point, I thought meant Fed.

But still, the Gov is known for hiring people on Visas for a whole host of Gov positions.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
We can argue the validity of allowing noncitizens with work visa's to do LEO i guess....but the base fact here is they violated the law in Denver. From the everify webpage:

U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States – either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization. This diverse workforce contributes greatly to the vibrancy and strength of our economy, but that same strength also attracts unauthorized employment.

E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States. E-Verify is fast, free and easy to use – and it’s the best way employers can ensure a legal workforce.

www.uscis.gov...

THe law states that if someone is legal to work in the US, you cannot discriminate. They are lucky it was ust the DOJ and not the EEOC

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: Woodcarver

AH good point, I thought meant Fed.

But still, the Gov is known for hiring people on Visas for a whole host of Gov positions.

~Tenth
Yea. Govts do hire visa workers. Not sure about their reasoning here. Denver is pretty liberal too if i'm not mistaken.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
NSA should be all over this judge, for terrorism ring! Hiring noncitizens is illegal, unconstitutional, and a gateway for terrorists to kill children and us in our homes!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

This is an example of the kind of policies that got Trump elected.

Hopefully under his leadership we can such things repealed.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My in-laws have been living in the States for almost 50 years. My father-in-law loves this country and worked 10 years straight without a single day off running a restaurant, over 45 years in the restaurant business, 6 days a week-- just retired.

They never applied for citizenship, but they are permanent residents.

What would be wrong with him having a job with the sheriff dept?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

See, I'd agree with him being able to get the job, he's been in the united states over 10 years, understands the laws and what it means to be a citizen of your country.

However, I don't agree with hiring a person on a visa who hasn't been in the country for atleast 10 years into a Law Enforcement position.

Your law enforcement should be your best and brightest, and they should be a permanent resident of the united states.

Also, I think citizens of the united states should be put first, you are American, America should look to provide jobs for their own citizens before reaching out and filling positions with foreign workers.

I have respect for your father-in-law, fair play to him, he's grafted and built a life for himself and became a permanent resident, that's exactly who they should be looking to employ, not some new kid off the block who doesn't care for the values your constitution and your country represent.

Just a foreigners opinion here ofcourse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join