It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts college bans US flag as racist and hateful

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
*sigh*

Russia Today? I should have known...

The flags are being taken down apparently because it's causing a lot of problems. One was burned or something:

A Massachusetts college has stopped flying all flags on campus after an American flag was burned following the presidential election of Republican Donald Trump.

Hampshire College President Jonathan Lash tells WWLP-TV the college won’t fly any flags for the time being. He says the Amherst campus will consult with students and staff about appropriately utilizing flags in the future.

A college official says members of the campus community initially lowered the flag to half-staff after the Nov. 8 election. That offended other members of the community.

The flag was then found burned on Veterans Day. It was replaced and flown again at half-staff until Friday’s decision to remove all flags.

Source

Let's see...another source:

A Massachusetts college’s attempt to placate upset students and faculty after Election Day backfired and then prompted officials to remove the U.S. flag from campus.

Individuals at Hampshire College were so enraged at Republican Donald Trump’s Nov. 8 victory over Hillary Clinton that its U.S. flag was stolen one night and then burned before dawn on Veterans Day.

Officials lowered a third replacement to half-staff due to claims the flag represents “racism and hatred,” but anger by military veterans and their families prompted the school to remove it entirely.

Washington Times

Leave it up to Russia Today to spin a story about a bunch of children who can't agree over a flag (on BOTH sides) into some kind of one-sided, anti-patriotic news story.

So the flag was taken down because it was at half staff, and that angered a bunch of vets and their families. It was put there to placate a bunch of stupid protesting people in the first place.

So the flag was NOT pulled down because it, in and of itself is a symbol of racism and hate -- which the headline for this thread implies, and the Russia Today story tries to spin.

Well, it certainly fits into their "demoralization" campaign to create self-loathing, self-hating Americans -- pushing the "America sucks, and is weak" narrative.

The school was wrong to put the flag at half mast. The people who were angered by that were in the right. Half mast is something you do after a tragedy. Trump supporters who pay their tuition should be able to go to their overpriced classes without being told they're bad people for voting how they did, which is exactly the message being sent by the half mast.

(post by Kukri removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

you know what scared me about the young man he's not a kid, was he wants to be a American history teacher.
i'm afraid of the damage he and others who share his views and become history teachers could and will probably do to the youth who will be the future leaders that i will have to live the more golden years of my life under.

they will take facts and distort, omit, and any thing else they can do with them to fit the narratives that they want, poisoning the young impressible minds just as their minds were and i dare say even more so.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I understand Hampshire College. I really do.

However, I think I've come up with a solution. It took me all of 5 minutes, but I've come up with the perfect flag design.

No need to hang this flag at half-mast. Raise it tall and proud:

Edit: I just came up with an alternate:

edit on 22-11-2016 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

you need to patent those and make a killing on them.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: trollz

I wonder what 18 - 22 year olds from 1944 and 1969 think of this.

I think they're pussies.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

These dumbass kids can take their asses to another country if they want to call OUR OWN FLAG racist and hateful. Who the hell do they think they are... did their parents teach them to complain about any and everything? F*** out of here!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

These are awesome! Tell 'em to go make their own country and they already have a flag made for them. Waaaaa waaaaaaa I'm a special little snowflake and everyone owes me waaaaa

Check out this "Keely Mullen" character. Maybe she's mad her parents named her Keely?

edit on 22-11-2016 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Here is one of the students who made it happen getting destroyed by Tucker Carlson.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It's a 'thing' now.

University Officials: America-Themed Parties Are ‘Harmful’ And Offensive

Fragility is the new protected class.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Welp, we wanted to make sure everyone felt like a winner;

Here are the fruits of thy labor.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
my god..... such a snowflake generation

in ww2 18 year olds stormed normandy

today, 18 year olds need a safe place and cry ins if they get called a mean name

god forbid if something did happen in the USA...... these people would be the first to hide and cry

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
It's a 'thing' now.

University Officials: America-Themed Parties Are ‘Harmful’ And Offensive

Fragility is the new protected class.

I called it when they were after the confederate flag and everyone gave in. It was obvious the next flag would be the american flag using the exact saying flawed "logic".

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I wonder what 18 - 22 year olds from 1944 and 1969 think of this.

Nuff said!

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Is this Young Misguided Woman Living in a Fantasy World ? Absolutely...........

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You can't debate with a cupcake.

The flag should NOT have been at half-staff because your feelings are hurt... period... end of story.

-JT
edit on 22-11-2016 by Greenblaz because: So they don;t twist my words

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Hope my tax dollars don't support this nonsense

Hampshire is a private college, with no tax dollars. The tuition is $48,000.00 per year. The documentary filmmaker Ken Burns is a graduate of Hampshire.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Really from the bottom of my heart as a 22 year old i would just really like to apologise for the shear stupidity of my generation..
Just give up on us and focus on the next generation i think but by the looks of it each generation is going to get worse and worse....

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
People don't understand, everything is connected. The local governments being allowed to abolish the confederate flag set precedents. You might think changing something for the betterment of mankind or to show how damn snowflake you are is noble. Wait until the day when gender specific clothing is banned....you think I'm joking?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
I kid you not, there were organized "cry-ins" after the election so instead of taking exams, students could get together in a safe space and cry together.

What do you expect of people who have never been through Presidential elections, and for most of their sentient lives have only known Obama as President? Some people handle change and uncertainty better than others. By definition, college students are stupid. They attend college to get less stupid. The fact that they're still students means they haven't accomplished that goal.

At the school I attend, I saw very few Trump freak outs. There were a few passive-aggressive fliers printed out and placed on desks, and I know of 2 professors out of a few hundred that canceled class. Our (unused) safe space got some advertisement, reminding students it was there but I didn't see anyone actually use it. Instead we (students and professors) just made jokes about it.
edit on 22-11-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join