It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts college bans US flag as racist and hateful

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   

A Massachusetts college has decided to remove an American flag amid struggles to stop “hate-based violence”... ...following the school president Jonathan Lash’s decision.

After the November 8 election, the college has been lowering its American flag to half-staff to “acknowledge the grief and pain experienced by so many”

After Trump’s victory, some on campus have been calling the flag a symbol of racism and hatred.

The half-staff flag that appeared offensive to veterans and students from military families was burned down

It was replaced and flown again at half-staff until Friday, when Lash decided that it would be better to get rid of the flag on the campus all together.

He specifically hopes that this will help the campus community “to instead focus our efforts on addressing racist, misogynistic, Islamophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-Semitic, and anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and behaviors.”

Source

As many of you know, colleges Across the US are suffering an unprecedented level of idiocy and absurdity. From safe spaces to cry-ins and everything inbetween, now a college is banning the US flag itself so as to not offend anyone.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

cry in ?

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Absolutely and utterly F###king stupidity at it's finest.

+31 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Well, considering what I pay for my daughter to go to a university I think it is time we parents voted with our dollars. I would NEVER send my daughter to a school that pulled this kind of crap.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I wonder what 18 - 22 year olds from 1944 and 1969 think of this.

+24 more 
link   
Grrrrrrrr, I thought I'd never say it. BUT Jesus H Christ, what is this fricken generation on???? Cry-ins are you kidding me. God Damn it.

Bring back national service and harden up.

link   
Hope my tax dollars don't support this nonsense

+15 more 
link   

originally posted by: kibric

cry in ?

I kid you not, there were organized "cry-ins" after the election so instead of taking exams, students could get together in a safe space and cry together.

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Is this for real....like wtf !....

So this is it then hey, The U.S of A is in full meltdown and looking to destruction.....when an education center can make a move like banning the U.S flag for being racist you have gone past full retard and there is likely no going back from it.....

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Here are some tunes to go with it...

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

wow

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I don't think it's that serious. Just death throes of a dying ideology.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   
We're all outta trophies!

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

We will see.....with the country so incredibly divided right now anything can happen.....as they say we live in interesting times.....

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Pull it, then pull any federal funding.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
*sigh*

Russia Today? I should have known...

The flags are being taken down apparently because it's causing a lot of problems. One was burned or something:

A Massachusetts college has stopped flying all flags on campus after an American flag was burned following the presidential election of Republican Donald Trump.

Hampshire College President Jonathan Lash tells WWLP-TV the college won’t fly any flags for the time being. He says the Amherst campus will consult with students and staff about appropriately utilizing flags in the future.

A college official says members of the campus community initially lowered the flag to half-staff after the Nov. 8 election. That offended other members of the community.

The flag was then found burned on Veterans Day. It was replaced and flown again at half-staff until Friday’s decision to remove all flags.

Source

Let's see...another source:

A Massachusetts college’s attempt to placate upset students and faculty after Election Day backfired and then prompted officials to remove the U.S. flag from campus.

Individuals at Hampshire College were so enraged at Republican Donald Trump’s Nov. 8 victory over Hillary Clinton that its U.S. flag was stolen one night and then burned before dawn on Veterans Day.

Officials lowered a third replacement to half-staff due to claims the flag represents “racism and hatred,” but anger by military veterans and their families prompted the school to remove it entirely.

Washington Times

Leave it up to Russia Today to spin a story about a bunch of children who can't agree over a flag (on BOTH sides) into some kind of one-sided, anti-patriotic news story.

So the flag was taken down because it was at half staff, and that angered a bunch of vets and their families. It was put there to placate a bunch of stupid protesting people in the first place.

So the flag was NOT pulled down because it, in and of itself is a symbol of racism and hate -- which the headline for this thread implies, and the Russia Today story tries to spin.

Well, it certainly fits into their "demoralization" campaign to create self-loathing, self-hating Americans -- pushing the "America sucks, and is weak" narrative.
edit on 21-11-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

pushing the "America sucks, and is weak" narrative.

cry ins
violently protesting election results
overly sensitive students

i'm not sure anyone needs to push any narrative

but

So the flag was NOT pulled down because it

good sleuthing

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

Do you need me to find you a safe space ?

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I wonder if the US Government Federal Student Loans are considerd offensive?

Perhaps move your college to somewhere you like better so you wont be so triggered?

Probably be easier for everyone.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: kibric

It seems like there was a bunch of upset people on both sides, so they threw their hands up and said, "No flags at all then, since none of you guys can seem to get along without arguing about it!"

*rubs forehead*

This is why we can't have nice things, huh?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join