It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia claims the ability to make gold from coal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I have no idea if this is true or not, coming from Pravda, but it sounds like an environmental nightmare to me if it does happen. I wonder if this could impact the world economy. China has a lot of coal, they might want some bling too.

www.pravdareport.com...

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
They aren't transforming coal into gold. They are refining coal ash to extract gold from it. People don't realize most ores mined for metals such as copper and lead also contain trace elements of gold. And they extract it. When you're dealing with mega tons of ore, the pay off is worth it, especially at todays gold prices.

Scientists of the Amur region developed an experimental device which is able of extracting up to 1g of the precious metal from a ton of the burnt fuel.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
That sounds pretty cool, they are filtering the gold from coal smoke. Wonder if they could also apply the technique to seawater, which also holds trace amounts of gold.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

My in-laws can take a beautiful cut of prime rib and turn it into an inedible piece of garbage.... so who knows what anyone can turn anything into.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hell everybody knows you don't make gold from coal you make diamonds. Russia has enough diamonds to flood the world market 18 times ove rso there's no point.

I have to call this liar, liar pants on fire.

ETA:

So I actually went and read the article. Quite interesting as it's harvesting something from the combustion of coal which is being done anyway.At a gram (1,500 rubles) a ton for cleaning out a filter and refining the residue. it may not be profitable at that value but could allow you to add a modest amount to your reserves which is never a bad thing in this day and age. Probably would be profitable for the Chinese due to their level of coal use.
edit on 11/21/2016 by Kukri because: ETA

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

They aren't transforming coal into gold.
Yes. That would require a great amount of power and would probably not be economically feasible. As it is, it's maybe break even recycling effort. Too bad they have to burn so much coal though.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
That's nothing. Not everyone burns coal.

www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I think the idea is that they burn the coal anyway, so why not look for a silver lining?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet
That sounds pretty cool, they are filtering the gold from coal smoke. Wonder if they could also apply the technique to seawater, which also holds trace amounts of gold.

The gold is extracted form coal ash, sea water has a lot of gold all told, but at current gold prices still isn't worth it.

Large industrial refineries see modern cities as the richest depositories of metals. Now if they can only destroy them and recover the metal.

Old copper wire from the turn of the 19th century retains a tiny percentage of gold. Such that refineries process the copper they receive from recycling to retrieve it.

The price of gold jumped from 600 or so to its current hi after 911. If the artificial cap on pricing were to be removed, or if there were another 911 type event.. the price of gold might rise enough to justify processing seawater.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
All we have to do is get to the water treatment facilities and set up the proper filters.... next up it's Russia + Coal vs USA + Poo....

In January, a separate study conducted by researchers from the Arizona State University had estimated that an American city of 1 million inhabitants flushed about $13 million worth of precious metals down toilets and sewer drains each year.

Poop to Gold

Roughly 80% of our population lives in areas with sewage facilities. That's about 250 million, or 3.25B worth of Gold flushed down the drains.
edit on 21-11-2016 by SignalMal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet
I think the idea is that they burn the coal anyway, so why not look for a silver lining?

Exactly. According to treehugger, Russia alone burns hundred thousands of tons of coal annually... If someone wanted to do the math...

thats a lot of gold (in trace amounts).

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Maybe, it sounds to me like they invented a filter to extract trace amounts of gold. If it could be used in seawater, then they would have an almost unlimited source of gold. Maybe a look at the patent would help, then we could all make one too.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I think this is interesting any more information?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AutonomousMeatPuppet
Even regular gold mines work hard to extract gold. A few grams (1-3) per ton of ore processed is about par.

Thats some heavy mining equipment, ore processing factory and refining, smelting, etc.

Its only worth it on a mega industrial scale.

When I was recycling computer boards back when, the yield was about 15 grams per ton.

From throw away silicon valley computer scrap. Then they made it illegal, damn EPA.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SignalMal

"Well you don't wanna go sifting through pig # now do ya"

edit on 11/21/2016 by Kukri because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Well.....I bet there won't be any coal in my stocking this year...probably just wood pellets.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The universe needs an exploding star to create gold and they claim they can do it with coal.

Hmm... Nope. They are full of snip.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I have no idea if this is true or not, coming from Pravda, but it sounds like an environmental nightmare to me if it does happen. I wonder if this could impact the world economy. China has a lot of coal, they might want some bling too.

www.pravdareport.com...

The only problem it costs $10,000 to make one ounce.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

the price of gold might rise enough to justify processing seawater.

That could have a devastating long term effect on the marine environment.

We need trace amounts of some metals in our bodies to remain healthy.

I can't see why marine creatures would be any different.

P

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
Gold is pretty darned nonreactive so as an essential trace nutrient....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join