It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Obama Claims Electoral System Rigged in Favor of Republicans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

originally posted by: xuenchen
“More votes have been cast for Democratic congressional candidates than Republican,” Obama said. “And yet you end up having large Republican majorities.”

Is he delusional? If people voted for republican senators in their state then the demonrats weren't the majority vote in those states. Sounds like the extremist left doesn't like fair and equal representation our system was designed for in a Constitutional Republic.

He said congressional candidates, not senators. He's referring to representatives. So one district is drawn in such a way that it gets 100% democratic vote, and two neighboring districts are drawn in such a way that they get 51% each for their republican candidates, you now have two republican representatives and one democratic representative even though (assuming equal population), republicans were only one third of the votes cast. That's gerrymandering.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

He is correct, but he isn't.

He is apply causation to something that itself shares causation with it: the electoral system is "rigged" torwarrds rural America. Or, rather, the cities don't get to make all the rules for all of us.

What this means: the Democrats need to put a muzzle on their more radical members, and figure out how to slide back to the center. Figure out how to strengthen some of their more libertarian aligned leanings. Because in towns of less than 100k people, the culture is just vastly different. You get below 10k and its just a big old family.

This has nothing to do with Republicans. It has everything to do with their ideals tending to align more closely with rural America, and Trump managing enough to cash in on some general angst in areas the DNC usually wins.

Obama needs to quit talking out his south 40.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

You do realize that if NY was not a winner take all for the EC vote Hilary would have lost a large amount of votes? Only in NYC, Albany and one other county did she win!!! But with NY the way it is she got all of the EC votes. Now if it had been split by the actual voter choice she would have lost ALOT of the EC vote. So tell me is it fair that Hilary got all the ec vote for the state?? Do you not think that was the intent of NY having it's system like that? One word Tammany Hall

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Very good point. I live in long island which went republican along with a vast amount of the state but still had no chance going to Trump.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

here is how the states have voted in the past six elections.
it is plain to see that obama is full if sh@@, and will lie his a@@ off.

this is from 2013, way before trump declared he was running.

Conservative pundit George Will said the prospect of flipping a blue state could be Christie’s trump card if he does decide to run for president.
"He will turn to the Republicans now and say, ‘Your problem is the 18 states and the District of Columbia that have voted democratic in six consecutive presidential elections,’" Will said on Fox News Sunday. "Those 18 states, which include New Jersey by the way, have 242 electoral votes. If the Democratic presidential nominee can assume those states, he or she will spend the autumn of 2016 looking for 28 electoral votes, and he or she will find them."

It’s a simple matter of going to the electoral college record to see if Will has his numbers right, and he does.

18 states have voted Democratic in six consecutive elections with 242 electoral votes, George Will says

they just can't accept that they lost and the country is tried of their lies.

edit on 21-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

it is plain to see that obama is full if sh@@, and will lie his a@@ off.

You know that he wasn't talking about the electoral college or Presidential elections, right?

You know the OP was less than accurate about what he was talking about, right?

This time it's about how he thinks the Electoral College system is rigged in favor of Republicans !!
False. He said nothing about the electoral college.

edit on 11/21/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Obama, it is your turn to "stop whining!"

Sal

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Ok, wow. I laughed about giving you a star. I don't really care. I'm not petty, and YOU are thin skinned if that bothered you.

I have nothing to say to the rest of what you wrote.

Oh and I gave you a star for real this time for bothering to answer me. So thank you.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Gerrymandering?

If thats the topic....both parties pull this crap. And it makes life more difficult for some folks who have to deal with erratic district lines.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Yes. The electoral college is not the topic. The OP seems to have missed that detail.

With that in mind, do you disagree that gerrymandering had something to do with the current Congress? Was his point inaccurate? Did the 2010 census not enable the Republicans to redistrict to their advantage? Can you provide an example of Democrats using it to such an extent?

REDMAP’s effect on the 2012 election is plain when analyzing the results: Pennsylvanians cast 83,000 more votes for Democratic U.S. House candidates than their Republican opponents, but elected a 13-5 Republican majority to represent them in Washington; Michiganders cast over 240,000 more votes for Democratic congressional candidates than Republicans, but still elected a 9-5 Republican delegation to Congress. Nationwide, Republicans won 54 percent of the U.S. House seats, along with 58 of 99 state legislative chambers, while winning only 8 of 33 U.S. Senate races and carrying only 47.8 percent of the national presidential vote.

www.redistrictingmajorityproject.com...

Playing by the rules, yes. Indeed. Better at it than the Democrats, apparently. But in reference, once again to the OP, the President did not say the system is rigged.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It isn't even really about gerrymandering in the usual sense. He wasn't even grumbling as the claim is made. He was just explaining a fact about senate representation. 2 senators per state regardless of the population. A state with half a million has the same representation as one with 38 million.

Most people here read the title with the words "electoral system" and their minds skipped everything else and assumed it was about the "electoral college".
edit on 21-11-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Watch out for some other tricks as well, like setting up failures that will be difficult to reverse.

If you want us to watch out for it, perhaps you can describe it with more detail?
As I honestly don't understand what you're insinuating here.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Well, the EC gave us the failed prez Bush and his disastrous administration and now the EC gives us Trump who I'm sure will be much worse than Bush.

That said, people have been wanting to get rid of the EC for over 200 years.

I know right? Obama is an idiot.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Swills

Well, the EC gave us the failed prez Bush and his disastrous administration and now the EC gives us Trump who I'm sure will be much worse than Bush.

That said, people have been wanting to get rid of the EC for over 200 years.

I know right? Obama is an idiot.

Maybe (I wouldn't think so, actually). But guess what?
He was not talking about the "EC", nor did he claim the system is rigged. So rein up and review what he was talking about and what he actually said.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
He is talking about the Congressional election, not the Presidential election.

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: timequake
a reply to: Krazysh0t
He is talking about the Congressional election, not the Presidential election.

The Congressional election isn't determined by Electoral College so no he was talking about the Presidential election.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join