It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online harassment affects half of Americans: study

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Online harassment affects half of Americans: study

Almost half of US internet users say they have been a victim of online harassment or abuse ranging from name-calling to stalking to physical threats, a survey showed Monday.

Women, the under-30s, and people identifying as lesbian, gay, or bisexual were all more likely to experience such harassment -- and were also more likely to self-censor what they post online as a result, researchers found.

Forty-seven percent of people reported experiencing at least one form or online harassment or unwanted contact, according to the study by the Data & Society Research Institute and Center for Innovative Public Health Research.

More than a third (36 percent) had suffered "direct harassment," including being called offensive names, threatened physically or stalked.

Three in 10 said they had been victims of "invasion of privacy," including having sensitive data or photographs stolen or posted without their permission, or having their online activity tracked.

A large majority of people -- 72 percent -- also said they had witnessed such conduct online.

When one posts nearly every event, meal, or bowel movement one makes, complete with personal identifying information for all to see, what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you have any kind of social media account in which you're using your real name, real photos, ect... you're a moron.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Do not get mad at the sun if you go to the beach and get burned...

Either don't go to the beach or wear sunblock...

Problem solved.

-Chris

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

How terrible.. it isn't like you can simply turn off your computer or delete your social media.. oh wait. Lol.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I offended!!!! Cuz words!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Online bullying is actually serious because words really do hurt people. But, the solution is not on the attacker's end but on the defender's end. 1) Ditch your ego. 2) Grow a backbone. 3) Don't fight fire with fire. 4) Defend people who cannot defend them self.

My friend was called an idiot online and I told my friend to reply telling the person something they've done recently that was idiotic while also mentioning the comment was mean. The conversation's hostility came to an instant end.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Wonder why this narrative is being pushed.

I hope someone saves us from the fake news out there.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

5) delete social media
6) turn off the computer
7) ignore, because there's nothing the other person can do about it if you don't respond, and most people like that are simply looking to get a rise out of someone

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
We need to stop forcing these people to use a computer. Lets pass a law!

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

yep only a dumbass uses their real life events on the internet and expect no blow back. i mean didn't/don't they go to school,work, other places where people gather or can see them that have a zero tolerance policy, people still____ with them regardless of what the consequences. then to come to the internet and expect a different outcome where people often use factious names or even their own is just stupid.

the world will never be a big ol utopia where there is nothing but love, peace and harmony. grow up and face facts.

edit on 21-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Those who believe they are anonymous when using the internet are the real fools. There are multiple ways your online activity can be traced back to your actual identity. Whether you are using a computer, a smart phone, iPad or other device to access the internet, whether you are operating through a firewall, VPN or proxy, if those in power really will it, they can find out who you are and where you are.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
More detailed information here along with a link to the report.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I got harassed online by my own daughter.
She said I was a bad father because I didn't vote for Hillary.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

yep only a dumbass uses their real life events ......

Now just wait a minute....

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

present company excluded.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I did it the right way, No social media account whatsoever. Even if I did there would be nothing to gain from what I post. I can troll harder than randumb people troll me.

It took many years to master.
edit on 21-11-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

I agree with your points 1,2 and 3 but 4 is wrong: Rather then defend those that cant defend themselves, teach them to defend themselves, wich is much more usefull to both partys in the long run.

In general i agree with what alot of others already stated: Dont use real names, dont invite random ppl, dont put your life story on the internet etc etc. ppl who do have a serious problem with their self-worth.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
In one post I read that people have to self censor because of what other people think ,in another post I read that people who don't self censor are the ones in trouble. ...
I just don't get it. ..

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

Difference between lefties and rightys i guess

top topics

<<   2 >>

join