It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump has a plan for government workers. They’re not going to like it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Looks like Trump wants to make the govt worker the same as the private sector worker.

President-elect Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are drawing up plans to take on the government bureaucracy they have long railed against, by eroding job protections and grinding down benefits that federal workers have received for a generation.

Hiring freezes, an end to automatic raises, a green light to fire poor performers, a ban on union business on the government’s dime and less generous pensions — these are the contours of the blueprint emerging under Republican control of Washington in January.

Trump may be able to make changes becasue he is an outsider and may have repub's support on the legislative side.

These changes were once unthinkable to federal employees, their unions and their supporters in Congress. But Trump’s election as an outsider promising to shake up a system he told voters is awash in “waste, fraud and abuse” has conservatives optimistic that they could do now what Republicans have been unable to do in the 133 years since the civil service was created.

www.washingtonpost.com...

edit on 21-11-2016 by seasonal because: source

edit on 21-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Nov 21 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix format error "edit"
extra DIV

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

does the OP look weird to anyone else or just me.
?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Sounds like "IT''LL BE GREAT!!" Does it include the Congress and Senate? Yeah didn't think so.
edit on 11/21/2016 by Kukri because: EMPHASIS

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: goou111

I'm glad it's not just me...

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
How 'bout they set term limits for the senate and house too.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ETA:

Yes, the OP looks quite strange, as if the top part of the page loaded strangely or something. I am not sure what happened there.

Body of response follows:

Oh for crying out loud!

Ok... lets get something totally straight...

The problem with government, has nearly NOTHING to do with the people who are employed directly by the government. That is not where the money is disappearing to, that is not what costs the big bucks. It never is, in any government which uses goods and services provided by outside parties, like private companies.

No. The problem is that its contracts with the companies that provide its goods and services, are probably written to OVERWHELMINGLY favour the companies involved, many of which are likely as not owned by members of the government or close associates thereof. That is what cuts the life blood out of nations, and I should know, because it is happening here in the UK, and rather than solve the problem, my nations government is cracking down on disability benefits, cutting NHS spending, and basically screwing up a system we pay taxes to keep running. They COULD force companies with which they do business to play ball, and pay their taxes properly. But NOOOOOOoooo, that would be far too damned sensible.

Meanwhile, its good to know that the twisted idea Donald Trump has of rooting out corruption, actually means taking money and time away from actual government employees, while failing to address the real drains on the public purse, unfortunately EXACTLY what I expected him to do.

I would say I was disappointed, but it would be ridiculous to do so in light of its predictability. Lets say instead that I hate to be proven so right, so often as I am.
edit on 21-11-2016 by TrueBrit because: added detail.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

?

Yes, not wide enough. From my phone.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Yes, it is not showing up like other posts. It is to the left of the page and not centered.

In any case, a change in waste, fraud and abuse sounds good to me.

edit on 21-11-2016 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111

?

Mobile site formatting?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Exactly this 100%

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sure does.

In any event:

... a green light to fire poor performers...

Most important item on the list.

edit on 21-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Federal pensions are not that great, especially for the military where you have to serve 20 years or you get nothing. Only a small percentage in the military even make it to 20 years. Last time I checked it was in the mid teens that earned the pension. It's actually a good system. It rewards hard workers who get good evaluations and got promoted. I have seen people with 18 years that got kicked out for failure to maintain their body weight in the USMC.

The real problem are elected officials and State pensions. Those are out of control. The regular GS level Federal Employee pensions are also not that impressive.

Promotions are not automatic either. You have to meet requirements and goals every year and normally the increases in pay are marginal. Not anything to brag about that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I haven't a clue on how the thread came out that way. Any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I haven't a clue on how the thread came out that way. Any suggestions?

Possible botched [ quote ] -- [ /quote ] tags.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
In short, Austerity measures like the EU, trimming fat from the minions instead of the higher ups.

Maybe they'll revolt. Or just take it out on the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kukri

My setting is for desk top. Something changed somewhere, I didn't change anything....

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

you solved it, thanks.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MiloTheMarauder

And yet, here we are.

No mention whatsoever of dealing with the real problem, just making sure there is enough money left in the system for people just like him to screw for all its worth.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Correct. Now that the Koch ideology has fully taken over the Republican Party, the idea is to "make govt small enough to drown it in a bathtub". To see what I am talking about, see my second post on this thread.

This is all about doing away with the federal govt (end game)---and eventually state govts---and any function beyond military (and state police) and courts is put in private hands. In the future, got a problem with VA health care, for ex., you will call India, as you will be dealing with a corporation. Got a problem with your heath, disability, or retirement, call India (or some other international call center the corporation chooses to use). Had a problem with a medicine (someone injured or died), call India, and then in this case, hire a lawyer. Got a problem with your road, call India. etc.

Eventually, want a state driver's license, call India first. Want to report a fraud or complain about a contractor, call India and hire a lawyer.

Apparently this is the way Americans want to go, because the Republican Party is now in control of all three branches. Well, it was fun while it lasted. Game over.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The public used to earn a pension from companies, now it's 401K. Instead of reducing the govt. workers who maybe the only segment of workers whos pay stayed close to inflation, they should raise everyone else.

In short, Austerity measures like the EU, trimming fat from the minions instead of the higher ups. Maybe they'll revolt. Or just take it out on the rest of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join