It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Comedy Universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Is the Universe a black comedy? Where all grand intentions are bound to end in frustration?

Black Comedy Universe?

Actions taken with good intentions result in evil outcomes.
Actions taken with evil intentions result in good outcomes.

Actions taken to 'make' one happy result in unhappiness.

If you believe this, and i think it might be true
you are left with trying to take actions and inactions that are void of intent.
Sort of Zen, if you will.
Treating life as a sensory experience.

Of course one might ask does trying to make yourself unhappy result in personal happiness?
A limited amount of self deprivation can result in heightened sensory experience.

If you take this along a light vein, i think these are some of the keys to comedy,
Intended actions [or even thoughts] vs reality results. Inspirations -> frustrations.

Sort of like being a drift in deep space, no matter how hard you kick you can't get anywhere, you just thrash back and forth.

My thought is maybe you have to loosen your grip or rigidity of your original vision/idea and embrace the law of unintended consequences however tragic that may sometimes be. Sort of accept the maddness of many things.

Try and think of life as a purely kinetic thing/drama, where meanings have no particular attachment to events or things. Lose yourself in life. It is its own reward? Sort of like a ride through space and time.

I certainly don't do this myself, or do i?

Does that mean that our internal fantasy life is actually a kind of bait, to act? The satin gloves of the Universe teasing our minds?

I guess part of what i mean is especially long term. Initially some new toy or thing may make us happy, but does it last? Like a junkie's quick fix, shortly we are left chasing the next little bit of something. Maybe that is enough and I am too demanding.

Some intent may be effected in the Universe, but as the dice of chance roll our double six up, they, as if huge and in slow motion, keep tipping and some other outcome follows that.

This reflects my personal philosophy i suppose, 'Big dreams are meant to be broken, keep yours small and personal'.

Are the smallest things in the Universe actually the most intelligent?

Possibly instead of trying to acquire the things that have meaning, surround yourself with meaningless things and perhaps the meaning will grow? I believe meaning is inside us. Nurture and sustain it.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hi there,

That's an interesting thought you've had. I must say that I don't agree that you'll find the Universe will react in the exact way that you've described, every single time without exception. So it most likely is not designed to twist actions and their effect in such a manner.

Although I've had days that were like that myself. I think that the best thing in any situation is to try and find the solution with the most positive outcome for all parties involved. If it turns out the opposite, at least you can say that you've tried.'

Nice thinking though, and good luck with it.

X

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
OMG!!! i think you may have just explained murphys law !

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

While on the surface that seems to be the case, I think that his thoughts stem from a more "Alice in Wonderland" type of logic. Everything is what it isn't and nothing is what it should be. Which seems similar to the "If it can go wrong, it will go wrong" that Murphy's Law seems to dictate. However, it takes that logic a few steps further, as it says that the situation never "went wrong", as it was already doomed to that outcome before the initial action had ever occured.

Cr@p, now I've gone and confused myself.....

X

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Actions taken with good intentions result in evil outcomes.
Actions taken with evil intentions result in good outcomes.

The things that you mention require a perceiver to define. What you see as evil or good may be positive for some where it is negative for others. If the whole is divided as it is in this universe (I and Other/1 and 2/you and universe) then there is no reason to believe that it would be any different. If it is not divided then the question is moot as there is no Other by which to define I meaning no perception or anything for that matter.
Thus this argument for a "black comedy universe" is invalid.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Jonna,

Evil and Good are self defined by the actor.
The actor does what they think is good, it results in what they perceive as bad/evil. It is a self defined quantity.

What Im saying is "the best laid plans of mice and men . . ."
"No good deed goes unpunished"

Sort of an ultimate powerlessness over the Universe.
In the short run things may get accomplished, in the long run they will be crushed.
Time is an almost [absolutely?] impossible foe to overcome.

Where are the great leaders of the past that conqured empires and all the great things they built?
Alexander the Great conqured half of the known world at the time. Where is he, Ancient Greece, or his ancestors? Dead, in ruins, or scattered.
Julius Ceasar? murdered by his associates.
Rome? tourist attractions.
The Third Reich? A dark stain on human history.
Where are Iraq's WMDs? In the pipe dreams of war hawks.

Need i go on?

Isn't it kind of funny?
People thinking you can impose your will/grand-dream on others, on time, on the tide of events.
Who are usually the most corrupt? The people claiming moral superiority. Logically it takes some set of standards so that they can be violated.
(I hate to admit this but . . ) No standards, No corruption.
So in a sense for those who impose some ethical standard even if they themselves do not violate it, in a sense cause the violation by others.
Sort of Kadafi's "Line of Death" (remember that?) Something created to be violated.

Isn't the real purpose of a set of standards simply for the excuse of excluding some group/number of people? To say we [who ever that may be] are different. Sort of a synthesis of identity. A creation of a select few out of the mass of humanity.

My thought is the best way to deal with it is to not cling to tightly to it.

Sometimes things come out how we like, sometimes not, but the slow grind of the wheel always leads to change.

It sort of say despite the fixed rigid dreams of many, the Universe is alive and restless, does not hold still for anything.

History is a kind of tragic beauty, the struggle to impose a will(s) on the Universe that will not be tamed. The roadway lined with broken dreams.

new topics

top topics

join