It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Restless Dreams I Walk Alone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Life is but a constant stream of distractions. No matter what the nature of your lifestyle or personality, your existence has been littered with more distractions than you can consciously fathom. In this very moment, you are focusing your attention on the words of this very thread. In addition, you are breathing, listening, seeing, feeling, touching and tasting all at once without even realising. Your brain is also processing loads of information of which you are not even aware of.

The word "distraction" carries mostly negative connotations. People get harmed because of distractions, people forget to do important things because of distractions, people do not appreciate their experiences because of distractions, and people are separated from truth because of distractions. What many people forget is that they need to be distracted to function. After all, if there is nothing to do or experience how can we be said to be living?

In order to survive, to live, to experience, we need an object to occupy our attention. Think about it for a moment. Even if you were able to survive without providing sustenance for your body and brain, if everybody stopped doing everything, if all electrical equipment and luxuries were taken away, and you were isolated from all others, what would happen? Your thoughts would flood your mind in a desperate effort to find something to occupy your attention.

And so you come to me to ask the following important question: why do we need distractions? The most seemingly truthful response I can think of is not a comforting one. To be concise, I will phrase it like this: we need distractions because without them we realise that we are truly alone.

All other living creatures, objects and equipment are extensions of your imagination. From the moment we became aware of our own
existence, we needed something to distract us from the above dark epiphany.

edit on 21/11/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Thanks for the title..reminded me of the Sounds of Silence

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp

I can't sleep with music on...it's enough that I hear my significant other's breathing.

Distraction's have their purpose in one's life. By being on ATS I can focus and stop random thought's arising.
The clutter and noise becomes too much sometime's

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

This is so true, i like what you said at the end when you said 'All other living creatures, objects and equipment are extensions of your imagination. What do you think our existence really is? To me negative distractions for example, are what separate us from ourselves. If we are too distracted by 'things' we fall into a pit of emotion without intention. Everything we see, could be like that movie The Matrix where we can only see what's in front of our faces, not between the lines where the real power is. I would give you one of those flags but i'm not sure how yet. That was a thoughtful post you made i enjoyed reading it.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I must admit I've had the song in my head over the last couple of days after listening to it for the first time in a while. I also thought some of the themes expressed in that song would fit in with the topic of this thread, so it seemed like a good name for the thread.

a reply to: LadyButterfly

Thanks for the nice words and interesting ideas you have shared. Welcome to ATS, I hope you can find many topics that pique your interest.

edit on 21/11/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Thank you Dark Ghost for the warm Welcome. I've read many articles here for the past few months and finally decided to just join. I've many interests in paranormal, writing, design and scientific theories. I am sure i'll find many things to pique my inner desire for knowlege and truth.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I heard Art Garfunkel sing The Sound of Silence last Friday at his concert. It was a beautiful distraction for me.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Distraction separates us from boredom. Boredom is anxiety, we are uncomfortable with our world and ourselves. Tribes in remote jungles can sit on a rock for hours because they are in harmony with their world, at peace with themselves.

Without distraction people in the modern world would climb the walls.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost
In order to survive, to live, to experience, we need an object to occupy our attention. Think about it for a moment. Even if you were able to survive without providing sustenance for your body and brain, if everybody stopped doing everything, if all electrical equipment and luxuries were taken away, and you were isolated from all others, what would happen? Your thoughts would flood your mind in a desperate effort to find something to occupy your attention.

It's kind of hard to imagine what it would be like not to have conscious awareness.

I think the fundamental premise of your post is we are separate from the reality we are experiencing. Many spiritual teachings tell us the idea we are separate from reality is a delusion. It reality, we are infinitely connected to reality without any separation. It may be what constitutes our conscious existence is just as much outside our of our minds as it is inside. So the "distractions" are not distractions but essential components of our being. Focus is your mind's desire to have control over reality.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I disagree with your entire premise and believe you are an atheist.

In Restful Dreams I Walk with my Bride, (or with my Lover).

You see there are only two things in existence, me and everything else (God, Universe, or the All).
I am my point of reference/view/perception, and everything else is everything else.
I am surrounded in all directions by this "Universe", and it is conscious and alive, it is animate and intelligent.

This Universe is my Bride, and together we make Eternal Love. We conceive and co-create.
We are the Yin and the Yang, the two Lovers. Impossible to separate, always feeling and knowing.

So in this Restful and Endless Dream, I am Never Alone.
I am being embraced by my Lover and held tightly at all times.
There are no Distractions, there is only my Undivided Attention to the All.
My Focus, my Devotion, my Love...
edit on 11/21/2016 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

here lets listen,

i remember when i was in the Corps, sgt kowalski and my self would sing this down in the pound, just about everybody that was awake and not on post would stop and listen. sometimes the sailors would come over and listen to.

edit on 21-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

This is one of my favorite songs hounddoghowlie!

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Silence was also the name for a secret Operation

Touché OP

Well done!

new topics

top topics

join