It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Barack Obama says reality will force Donald Trump to adjust his approach

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   

In his final international speech before he leaves the White House in January, Obama said he could not guarantee Trump would not try to implement controversial positions he took during campaign but he could guarantee “reality will force him to adjust” how he approaches the issues.

Speaking at the Apec meeting in Peru, Obama also said he did not intend to become his successor’s constant critic – but reserved the right to speak out if Trump or his policies breached certain “values or ideals”.

LINK

We can see exactly what Obama was talking about above in the emboldened quote below.

For Obama, closing Guantánamo was an essential break with the Bush-Cheney era. On January 22, 2009, his second day in office, he issued an executive order, directing that the prison be shut down within a year. When detainees got the news, they shouted to the guards, “Have you heard? We’re getting out of here!”

Obama said, “I think I would have closed Guantánamo on the first day.” But the politics had got tough, he said, and “the path of least resistance was just to leave it open.”

LINK

I've been writing about that point here for months concerning Trump. If a POTUS couldn't do something as small as close the Guantánamo military prison on his own...

What exactly can he do on his own?

That is why Trump as POTUS is a dream come true in some ways in my view. Trump could create the most gridlock in Washington we've ever seen. Meanwhile, if he doesn't work with either party enough, he won't be able to accomplish much of anything. That could be a breath of fresh air.
edit on 20-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Obama successfully as president fueled race wars to heights not seen in decades and has ruined almost all relationships with foreign allies while in office. I'm sure Trump can do a lot more than what you think he can do.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I heard part of Obama's speech today. Because it was his last one as President, on foreign soil, both CNN and FoxNews carried it.

Got a big chuckle when he said that (paraphrasing) "The Powerful and The Privileged should NOT get special treatment. They should be subject to the same laws and punishments as the factory worker."

I suppose President Obama didn't start feeling this way, until 5 minutes before he spoke today.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Looks like Obama needs to get on Twitter.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

That is why Trump as POTUS is a dream come true in some ways in my view. Trump could create the most gridlock in Washington we've ever seen. Meanwhile, if he doesn't work with either party enough, he won't be able to accomplish much of anything. That could be a breath of fresh air.

This is what my hope is.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

edit on 11/20/16 by Gothmog because: nm . will rewrite momentatily

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Trump will dissapoint Obama and make this country great again.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Usually a president that is on their way out doesn't flap their beak like Obama is doing minute by minute. Since Trump handed him his ass on a wooden platter he just can't shut up.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I would ask President Obama what those realities are, specifically, and the reasons he could not act effectively on them.
I do not dis-respect Obama, he pulled this nation out of a Bush administration rat's nest, but there are specific reasons why he was not able to get more accomplished, despite the congress and senate he had to work with.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
Obama successfully as president fueled race wars to heights not seen in decades and has ruined almost all relationships with foreign allies while in office. I'm sure Trump can do a lot more than what you think he can do.

Fueled race wars?

Pointing out its raining doesn't mean you made it rain. And not talking about the rain doesn't make it stop raining.

People love, love, love to ignore racism...especially if they're not the ones who have to live with racism.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

In his final international speech before he leaves the White House in January, Obama said he could not guarantee Trump would not try to implement controversial positions he took during campaign but he could guarantee “reality will force him to adjust” how he approaches the issues.

Speaking at the Apec meeting in Peru, Obama also said he did not intend to become his successor’s constant critic – but reserved the right to speak out if Trump or his policies breached certain “values or ideals”.

LINK

We can see exactly what Obama was talking about above in the emboldened quote below.

I 100 % agree to what Obama has said

For Obama, closing Guantánamo was an essential break with the Bush-Cheney era. On January 22, 2009, his second day in office, he issued an executive order, directing that the prison be shut down within a year. When detainees got the news, they shouted to the guards, “Have you heard? We’re getting out of here!”

Obama said, “I think I would have closed Guantánamo on the first day.” But the politics had got tough, he said, and “the path of least resistance was just to leave it open.”

LINK

I've been writing about that point here for months concerning Trump. If a POTUS couldn't do something as small as close the Guantánamo military prison on his own...

What exactly can he do on his own?

I 100 % agree to what Obama has said
There is no other go. America is one fo the strongest democarcy in the world

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

"Since Trump handed him his ass on a wooden platter"

How so?..do tell.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I do agree with Obama on some parts. Once Trump realises whats at stake and whats happening behind the scene's he will be forced to do the logical and constructive thing, which might not be what he initially planned.

But,

Obama, this just means your a pussy!

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

This is true for all presidents.

Right now the biggest reality staring us in the face is mathematics.

Reconciling the numbers is going to be very tough considering what the people demand of him vs. what the nation's finances can handle.

We're in for a bumpy road to say the least, I'm amazed that after all this election hoopla still very few are discussing these realities for what they are.

We've all been talking about it since Bush was in office.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the reality check, Barry.

edit on 21-11-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think Bush was just so glad to be out of the White House, he didn't want/care to say anything.

He couldn't get back to Crawford Ranch fast enough...lol

I swear that guy never wanted or really liked being POTUS.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kettu
I think Bush was just so glad to be out of the White House, he didn't want/care to say anything.

He couldn't get back to Crawford Ranch fast enough...lol

I swear that guy never wanted or really liked being POTUS.

No W never wanted it. He was forced.

Neil was supposed to be the next Bush. But, then there was the failure of the savings & loans, and his wife that didn't keep her mouth shut.

Who really believes W was the real president. Think Cheney & Rumsfeld.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Please take a look at this photo of White House staff from Wednesday, November 9, 2016
gizmodo.com...

Are they in shock? Depressed? Mad? What????

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Donald trump has been a force since day one. They said he would never get the nomination. He did get the nomination. They said he never had a chance at becoming president and he won the election.

Granted being president and now having to work with the politicians instead of agaisnt them is new.
However i think donald trump actually has an idea on how to do it or else he would not of run. The repulican party basically blamed him for losing them the chance at the white house. Not only does donald win but reps get congress and senate too.
They cant screw this up because they are in full control and the nation know this.

What i expect is alot of trade deals being made and financial ideas for effecting the market. This is his ballpark and i dont see him making too many mistakes here. I believe we will see less war and hopefully no war then the past two presidents. I believe he will see war as counter productive to him building the economy up. Deporting 2 million illegal dangerous criminals will create jobs. Building a wall will create jobs however it will be cheap when heavy tariffs fund its building. Mexico will opt out on the tariffs and build the wall themselves shocking everyone because of how hard mexico gets hit economicly by the tariffs. You can expect mexican cartels operating in the usa getting hit pretty quick because donald views them as a threat. Drug related crime might spike then drop as it becomes too hard to get ahold of drugs that came in through mexico.

Actually i see mexico getting its first chance at a non corrupt country when the drug money drys up. Yes cartels will still be around but they will have alot less influence. This will dominated the first term of his presidency and depending on how fast he can get positive results will determine if he gets another 4 years. This would explain his AG pick recently.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Gridlock is the best possible thing that could happen.

Just about anytime our govt gets something done, it just creates more and more problems and oppresses us even more. Or costs us way more which in reality taxation and debt is economic oppression.

I can see maybe 3 or 4 policy changes needed, everything else is very bad big govt gibberish.

Here's hoping for stagnation and feet dragging!
edit on 11/21/2016 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join