It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Program Bank ATMs to Spew Cash///Milions Spit Out TO Gangs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hackers made millions of $ worth of money shoot out of ATM's into the waiting hands of gang members.

Cybercriminals who once earned millions by breaking into individual online bank accounts are now targeting the banks’ own computers, with often-dramatic results.

In Taiwan and Thailand earlier this year, the criminals programmed bank ATMs to spew cash. Gang members stood in front of the machines at the appointed hour and collected millions of dollars.

The story says that these criminals usually go after consumers but now are going after the big boys. I imagine now it will be a problem that needs to be solved.

This is a serious issue, I would think that the banks would have really tough security in their ATM's. I guess not.

“These guys, who could have been in the past just going after consumers...are breaking into financial institutions,” said Eric Chien, technical director of Symantec Corp.’s Security Technology and Response division.

Taipei police, who worked with the FBI on the First Commercial Bank investigation, said in July that malicious software used on ATMs had led to more than $300 million in losses.

In a written statement, the FBI said it “routinely advises private industry of various cyber threat indicators observed during the course of our investigations.”
www.wsj.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The devil on my shoulder says that's just absolutely awesome!

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
maybe this guy is a gang member.

www.liveleak.com...

edit on 20-11-2016 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

perfect machines?

would a teller make that 'mistake'.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

This is a serious issue, I would think that the banks would have really tough security in their ATM's. I guess not.

Most ATMs run on WindowsXP and are connected to bank systems via VPN over public Internet. So its security is rather weak.
edit on 20-11-2016 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

Good grief, I would think the banks.....never mind

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

Do they keep their server in the basement too?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium
Made me laugh, maybe a little snort too.

Do they keep their server in the basement too?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Also, don't forget. A lot of people don't change the default password when they install the ATM. A simple google search will show you how to access the menu, and pwn the machine.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaymp
Also, don't forget. A lot of people don't change the default password when they install the ATM. A simple google search will show you how to access the menu, and pwn the machine.

Especially on service accounts

2nd

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thought about what I posted, and after contemplation I have chose to remove it.

~meathead

edit on 21-11-2016 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join