It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of World War II shipwrecks that have vanished

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hi All,

MODS I placed this story here as I thought it was fitting?? Move if required?

Slightly odd story of many WW2 ship wrecks going missing.....yes, actually missing.

www.news.com.au... 1441cf

IT’S the bizarre mystery at the bottom of the Java Sea. The wrecks of military warships that have disappeared without a trace.
The warships sunk following one of the bloodiest naval battles of World War II.

During 1942’s Battle of the Java Sea, more than 2000 sailors perished as the Allies struggled to keep the Japanese Navy from marching across South East Asia.

By the time the fighting subsided, at least five allied ships, some with bodies still inside, lay stricken on the seabed.
In 2002, they were still largely intact at the bottom of the Java Sea.
Today, all five have vanished.

None of the ships could be considered small. The USS Perch was 91m long and weighed 1370 tonnes. The Dutch warship HNLMS De Ruyter was 171m long and when full weighed more than 6650 tonnes while Britain’s HMS Exeter was even heavier at a whopping 8520 tonnes

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I read about HMS Exeter's demise many years ago, in fact I did an History paper on it and now they say she has disappeared?

Has someone gone back in time and prevented the battle from occuring?

edit on 20/11/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Sorry but this is the 3rd time this has been posted...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

Yikes! Really?

Ok, thanks for telling me.

MODS, Please feel free to "make my post vanish too"

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Yep, apparently when scanning known areas on the seabed, there is just indentations? Hmmmm? Odd huh?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Very odd, what is going on?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Here is the first of the previous three threads on this subject, the subject matter is very upsetting especially for those of us whose family were sailors during the war.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Two later threads' also appeared.

It seems' to have been metal scavengers illegally looting these war grave's.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Metal Scavengers?

Is that legal? If it is, it shouldn't be. If it isn't the sovereign states have a duty to track them down and charge them with disturbing the last resting place of many poor souls.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Sounds like another case of Mandela Effect to me. And just when we were starting to feel comfortable again with our written history.
edit on 20-11-2016 by brokenghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Depend's on whom has done this, the site's are not policed and in the case of these wreck's where in water less than 80 metre's deep so too easily accessed, it is easy to accuse the native's of being behind this but it could far more easily have been an international outfit, quick turnaround as the metal source is pre refined high grade steel, brass and copper, close to ready market's and easily offloaded for a rapid profit.
Remember the problem we had here with Eastern European's coming in and ripping off the copper piping and lead roof's from our church's, the brass plaques from our graveyards' and war memorial's, by the time the police got there the culprit's had mostly scarpered, some were homegrown but most were eastern european' including Roma.
edit on 20-11-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Yep, sounds like scrap metal poachers..

It's happened to HMAS Perth too..

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Yes I read about some of the Royal Australian Navy ship's being looted and also some of the US ship's as well.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Yikes, that's bad taste huh? Not cool at all.

But could they really remove whole wrecks? With no trace?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: brokenghost

Sounds like another case of Mandela Effect to me. And just when we were starting to feel comfortable again with our written history.

I agree. Why believe a perfectly sane, but mundane explanation of illegal salvagers when you can concoct a conspiracy over a non-existent "Mandela Effect"? It's so much more mysterious to make up an idiotic explanation than believe a bunch of poachers are grabbing free metal off the ocean floor illegally.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

There is a trace, one US ship there is an obvious impression in the sea bed and most of these site's have peripheral debris left over but the metal which is most of the ship has been cut up and loaded onto waiting barges then moved to whatever market they are selling it at.
If they are using cheap labour from the area's were they do this then I would imagine high fatality's as well as these are not safe site's with lot's of un-exploded munition's etc.

edit on 20-11-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Sounds plausible and probably more than accurate that.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
posted to wrong thread, to many tabs.
sorry.
edit on 20-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

Isn't that guy dead? Noooooooo he's back?

posted on Sep, 18 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
Hi All,

MODS I placed this story here as I thought it was fitting?? Move if required?

Slightly odd story of many WW2 ship wrecks going missing.....yes, actually missing.

www.news.com.au... 1441cf

IT’S the bizarre mystery at the bottom of the Java Sea. The wrecks of military warships that have disappeared without a trace.
The warships sunk following one of the bloodiest naval battles of World War II.

During 1942’s Battle of the Java Sea, more than 2000 sailors perished as the Allies struggled to keep the Japanese Navy from marching across South East Asia.

By the time the fighting subsided, at least five allied ships, some with bodies still inside, lay stricken on the seabed.
In 2002, they were still largely intact at the bottom of the Java Sea.
Today, all five have vanished.

None of the ships could be considered small. The USS Perch was 91m long and weighed 1370 tonnes. The Dutch warship HNLMS De Ruyter was 171m long and when full weighed more than 6650 tonnes while Britain’s HMS Exeter was even heavier at a whopping 8520 tonnes

The USS Perch, HNLMS De Ruyter, and HMS Exeter were salvaged from the ocean floor by illegal salvagers and broken up for scrap. More info about the destruction of these ships and submarine by salvaging can be found at these links:
www.theguardian.com...
www.historyanswers.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join