It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how would you handle a drunk father in law making threats

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Sadly, I would be foolish and confrontational, but that isnt a good idea, neither is the pepper spray.

In todays world, call the cops with any threat, then again if they trespass your property.

I carry, and you have to understand that whenever you confront violently, you automatically escalate the instance to the degree you excercise, your defense. You may likely get aggravated assault, if there is no restraining order.

Your child diesnt need to see or hear any of those options. You pay for the police, use the police.
edit on 20-11-2016 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Tall tales? Who knows how much of that is the alcohol talking. Problem is its the alcohol that is in control when he's like that. Lots of belligerent drunks out there. You are in the unfortunate position of being married to his daughter.

In laws, guns and alcohol don't mix.

Get a broom, stay watchful. Don't, under any circumstances confront him or let him in when he's in that mode.

I agree the laws suck. But makes you the victim in the eye of the law, even if you kill him while defending your home and family.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Your child diesnt need to see or hear any of those options. You pay for the police, use the police.

thats why i wanted to spray him if he was banging and or yelling. i dont want my daughter to have to hear any of it.
i figured spraying him and shutting the door would stop his # fast and by the time the cops got here he would not have had time to recover

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Only way to win is to get the cops involved, if you act with violence you might be the one ending up in jail.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
File a police report.

If he decides to get violent with you at the very least you'll have documentation on your side when you put a hole through the idiot.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Duff him up.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Night Star

I'm honestly not trying to be a smartass, but ask any beaten wife, who has filed one after running away, how well words on a piece of paper work. A restraining order only works if the person isn't mad enough, drunk enough or just plain crazy enough, to not give a damn.

Yeah, true. Calling the cops to complain won't help him either. He can file and have it on record, but it comes down to one person's word against another. I went to the police station with a neighbor who was threatened by one of his tenants that he was trying to evict. He was told that unless the guy did something physical, there wasn't anything they could do.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
File a police report.

If he decides to get violent with you at the very least you'll have documentation on your side when you put a hole through the idiot.

i will probably have to do this just in case i have to touch him up.
if he showed up sober i would have no problem banging it out with him.
my dad was a drunk. i was a victim of terrible # as was my mom.
you never know when people are loaded.
that is my worry. him being drunk.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You need to establish a causal chain. Get a restraining order against him. This is just a piece of paper and won't actually stop him, but that's not the point. You will have established precedence and made a stand. BY ALL MEANS establish your defense in any way you feel comfortable, including pepper spray, if not more lethal means if you can handle it. You might also want to research the laws in your jurisdiction. If you're in Texas you can shoot someone in self-defense and they'll say, "Meh?" If you're in California, they'll arrest you for looking at someone cross-eyed. It would be good to know precisely what limitations you face in that respect.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Right off the bat I agree with mysterioustranger 100%. That is the right move. Just to report in case.......

And as former USMC I also agree taking the drunk down a few pegs if you think it would be advantageous. Avoud confrontation if you can but bird shot, bear spray, an air horn and a cattle prod all used in that order will also be effective.

Above all, first and foremost be safe and report the threats so law enforcement understands the heightened situation. And by no means should that old cantankerous drunk get invited to thanksgiving. Brine your bird folks.
edit on 20-11-2016 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Lack of grammar

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

One problem is that you don't know his true background. If you want to spend a few dollars you can find out what is known.
Instant Checkmate

You still don't know what is not known. I know you're in a difficult situation with him being your wife's dad. However the reality is that someone capable of violence normally is much more dangerous with liquid courage aboard. I don't know what your state laws are or your background is, but in most states you have the 'castle doctrine'. Self-defense in your home or car if they attempt to attack you within. In Florida we now have the 'stand your ground' law which means one doesn't have to attempt to retreat before using deadly force.

Police can't protect you period. The response time is such that the incident is usually over by the time they get on scene. A large amount of the time they are report takers. By reporting you fear for your life, you will be working to build your defense in case some authority decides to charge you for self-defense violence. Average cost for a self-defense case was around $60K back in the 90's if you want to remain free. Another thing is if you pan to use a firearm you will want to have some receipts for firearm and target training. And remember you only shot to STOP him from carrying out an assault and not shooting to kill,etc.

I would be prepared and hope it is not necessary to be so. Your wife is emotionally involved and unfortunately emotions should never be used in life protection decisions.

edit on 20/11/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I think i'd go with the mace treatment. The guy sounds like demented. It's sad how so many people on this planet are cruel and collecting in their treatment towards others.

Mace the bastard!
edit on 20-11-2016 by brokenghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Holy Moses brother...make the call! Please? You dont have to tell anyone you did. You could be possibly saving the lives of not just you and your family...but others as well.

And dont break down in a moment of weakness to the family and say you called. Never. Forget it once you call. That information is precious and may save a life.

Oddly...maybe even HIS own too. Do the right thing, friend. And thanks for caring enough to bring this subject to our forum too....

MS

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Break the blaggard's nose.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You say you wouldn't be afraid of shaking it up with him but I doubt you would actually want to use deadly force on him either. Killing someone, in my opinion, would weigh heavily on most rational minds even if it is a result of a circumstance like you describe. All of the posts recommend this and that for defense. I would say all of the above are correct avenues to protecting you and your family but one thing that was not mentioned is a taser. My advice, don't instantly jump to the worst possible action. Leave the shotgun where you have access but use every nonlethal option first. If the situation escalates to the point of personal confrontation, mace his arss and taser the crap out of him first. Get him down and kick the crap out of him.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

she leaves at 5 and i am going to call

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

i dont want to kill him but i would. my daughter is here man. i would beat him to death with my hands if he barged in the door. not like im itching to do it but i would.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

thats true. another option especially after i get it on record.
screw man to man and all that.

maybe mace him and while he cant see just absolutely stomp the hell out of him and wait for the cops.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Cattle prod

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm being just silly ol' Dumbass but...

originally posted by: TinySickTears
... my wifes father in law ...

That is your father right?

new topics

top topics