It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA to Train Local Police for Protest Crackdowns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

As part of their excellent ongoing coverage of the #NoDAPL protests, the folks at Unicorn Riot received a copy of the FEMA crowd control manual being passed around to local cops. In the section of “crowd dynamics,” the manual identifies the seven “types” of protesters recognized by the FBI.

Field Force Operations Manual: Download

Related: Link

The 135-page guide has eight sections, covering “Mass Arrest“, “Team Tactics“, “Protester Tactics“, “Crowd Dynamics“, “Riot Control Equipment” and “Riot Control Agents and Less Lethal Munitions“. An appendix has lists of standardized riot control weapons, now commonly found in local police departments across the United States.

Since humans are so good at categorizing everything (and everyone), it’s nice to know where we stand as “individuals” during a conflict of interest with our dystopian overlords.

E-mails obtained by Muckrock contained a copy of the manual that was being forwarded to state correctional employees in an attempt to bring them “up to speed” after being confronted by the Dakota Access Pipeline protesters.

It would be ignorant to believe that these tactics and equipment won’t eventually be used by most local law enforcement agencies in the near future. Who exactly they’re going to be targeting is the million dollar question.

On to the fun part…

Which of the FBI’s seven types of protester are you?

Have some fun and label yourself!!

Or maybe, just maybe, you’re the eighth type, conspicuously absent from this list: the person with a legitimate grievance against authority demonstrating peacefully as per their constitutional right.

In order to justify their actions, they must first categorize you (or a group), as one of these seven types of protestors. Only then will they understand how to “correctly” impose the amount of counteracting force deemed necessary to suppress your demonstration.

If you happen to be one of those “just want to watch the world burn” types, consider this the most unlucky position to be in during a riot. With that mindset, don’t be surprised if your own flame is extinguished before we’re all engulfed in flames.

To make this even more interesting and fun, my suggestion is to find a picture or video that you feel matches any one of these types of protestors. Give it a funny caption or let the image speak for itself. If it gets crazy, I'll request that this thread be moved to the Mud-Pit.

edit on 20-11-2016 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I take part in these training events at least 3 times yearly in different locations, with police, fire, rescue, national guard, military and para-military and medical. These are FEMA/Dept of Homeland Security events.

Much of your thread is true, and I have some of these documents...but its a bit misleading in the way we do this training. Its more the "what-if-we-have-to-do-this?" And not the "this-is-what-we-are-planning-to-do".

MS
EMT/Emergency Response Team
Advanced Disaster Life Support
FEMA/HOMELAND SECURITY
Region 2 South, Wayne County, Mi U.S.A.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
You complain about them having a plan to deal with riots (they aren't protesters at that point . . . protesters are peaceful) at different levels according to the threat. Yet at the same time, you would probably be the first person to complain that they didn't have a plan for dealing with different people according to the threat. You know, like automatically going out and using tear gas on any dissenters. Much like the 'protesters' automatically these days go out and thrash other people's property (and persons).

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I think most people, rioters notwithstanding, are in favor of police having a plan to deal with various degrees of events. What most people are worried about is police using far more heavy handed responses than necessary. Taking recent events in to account people are very cautious and concerned. Not that I am siding with the thug, but the kid in Chicago who had a knife in his hand, was ten to fifteen feet away from the nearest police officer, and got shot 16 times, 15 of them coming after he was on the ground from the first shot. That seems a bit much...

I have always followed a simple rule in regards to physical confrontation. I grew up in Chicago. It was kind of necessary. The rule is this: avoid the fight any way possible. If you can't avoid it - do whatever you have to do to win. There is no such thing as a fair fight. But I am just one person, a civilian.

I never wanted to kill someone but if that is what it took to end the fight alive, so be it. Fortunately, I never had to.

Its different for police facing a mob of rioters. The rioters should know the police have more and better firearms, more and better training, and are more willing to follow through when it starts getting ugly. Armed with that knowledge, the police have to wonder exactly what the other guy knows that makes him confident enough to stand his ground. Is he crazy? Does he think he blends in to the crowd so much he won't be harmed? Does he have some weapon that he thinks is powerful enough to win that fight? Its hard to tell and risky to assume anything. But, there are always situations like the Tianenmen square protester who bravely stood in front of an advancing tank. He had no secret weapon, only a very strong will and the desire to effect change. The tank could have mashed him into the pavement, but it didn't.

Would the result have been the same in this country? Local police are getting more and more military grade equipment and vehicles. For better or worse, there will come a time when someone feels it is right to employ that force. I hope they are right...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Yet at the same time, you would probably be the first person to complain that they didn't have a plan for dealing with different people according to the threat.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about having a plan or not, it's who is being trained and equipped to carry out such a plan, especially when an excessive show of force isn't necessary.

These "plans" are being used to round up and remove, not deal with dangerous rioters. The term "dissenter" is becoming a broad and encompassing description of people with conflicting ideas.

Let me remind you why I created this thread in this particular forum.

Posse comitatus is the common-law or statute law authority of a county sheriff, or other law officer, to conscript any able-bodied man to assist him in keeping the peace or to pursue and arrest a felon, similar to the concept of the "hue and cry." Originally found in English common law, it is generally obsolete; however, it survives in the United States, where it is the law enforcement equivalent of summoning the militia for military purposes.

It's the militarization of our local LEOs that I'm complaining about, not whether we should have a plan in place or not. Why summon the military when you can train and equip the summoners with the same force?

Watch some of the videos in the link below and tell me why the use of excessive force is needed. This type of response to certain protests will only get worse and more accepted as time goes on.

www.youtube.com...

Much like the 'protesters' automatically these days go out and thrash other people's property (and persons).

Is that what is happening in North Dakota?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

You're right to be paying attention to this. If it begins, this is how it begins.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
One has to assume police wouldn't ever be needed to control type 8. The person who has self control seldom does.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

You ask why it is becoming accepted to call in the National Guard for what the local law enforcement can do?

The answer is that because of all the people such as yourself defending the rioters (again, these are not protesters you are talking about) against the 'evil' LEOs who are doing their job and enforcing the laws. It is made to where it is political suicide for a mayor or sheriff to send in LEOs to enforce the laws, so they do something that is politically expedient . . . they pass the buck to the Governor who can only send in the NG or perhaps the state police (most of which are neither trained nor equipped to deal with such situations).

If you don't like the laws, then fine protest, and talk to your representatives, and sign petitions, AND get the laws changed. But do not complain about the LEOs doing their job. Especially since you will also be the first to complain if they do not uphold the new laws that you want enacted quick enough and to your satisfaction.

You make a complaint about police having retired and broke down military equipment (yes that is the quality of equipment the military passes on and US Law Enforcement gets first crack to buy it, followed by allies etc..). What would you have the police do? Perhaps enter into situations against possible rifle attacks with 2nd chance body armor made to protect from small arms? Or say into a riot with no riot gear (which is kinda like hockey pads but with better materials) or shields to keep off the rocks and bottles being thrown at them? Again, remember that they are doing their job to protect and serve. (Do you really think the shopkeepers appreciate their life's work being destroyed by some @--hole with a grievance?)

Mob justice is no justice.

As for Posse Comitatus, in America it is most often used for man-hunts or to find missing persons. Neither the chief of police, nor the sheriff can call in the NG. Only the Governor can do so.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Great OP!

Thanks for sharing this as I knew this was happening but not to the level of detail you provided.

We all need to pay close attention to this. Not to be alarmed but to be vigilant about our rights and the rights of our fellow countrymen. That include our fellow countrywomen too.

Vigilance is key.

new topics

top topics

join