It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OOps ‘Hamilton’ Casting Call For ‘Non-White’ Performers/May have violated the Law..???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: seasonal

I don't know really. I supported Trump for President, but when it comes to the arts, I think people should be able to use who ever they want to be in the play. If it is all black, fine. All asian, fine. All white, fine. I really don't care as long as it is good. Just my 2 cents.

I don't disagree with you I personally feel people should choose who they damn well please as well, but auditions should either not disqualify based on skin color or there should be no squawking if they do. There should be no double standard.

Example:

Gods of War has mostly white people playing the roles of Egyptians was heavily criticized as being a discriminatory/racist product of racist Hollywood.

But

Hamilton uses almost all minorities to play the role of the founding fathers of our country which were mostly all white and that is hailed as Broadway art.

That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

Edit: I also agree with you Seasonal, it is a fine line that could lead to segregation which isn't a good thing regardless of who or which ethnicity of people are being segregated.
edit on 20-11-2016 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkphoenix77

That is because the left and to some degree the right has 2 sets of rules that must be followed or else the name calling starts (or riots).

Hamilton uses almost all minorities to play the role of the founding fathers of our country which were mostly all white and that is hailed as Broadway art. That is the very definition of hypocrisy.

edit on 20-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You might be right.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkphoenix77

I see your point.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this casting call, but the booing and the speech was ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
They go low.

Pence takes the high road.

Pence said, “Well, first off, my daughter and I and her cousins really enjoyed the show. “Hamilton” is just an incredible production, incredibly talented people. It was a real joy to be there. You know, when we arrived, we heard a few boos, we heard some cheers. I nudged my kids and reminded them that’s what freedom sounds like. But at the end, you know, I did hear what was said from the stage, and I can tell you I wasn’t offended by what was said. I’ll leave to others whether that was the appropriate venue to say it. I do want to say that the basic element, the center of that message is one that I want to address, that is, I know this is a very disappointing time for people that did not see their candidate win in that national election.”

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
They go low.

Pence doesn't have a high road on the subject they were calling him out on.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee
Why?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: ketsuko

This is about a play. You are taking this really far.

How many topic posts do you need to make your point?

As many as it takes to obscure other poster's opinions.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Entertainment jobs are not subject to the exact same laws as other employment. Directors and managers most certainly have the right to choose who they hire based on physical characteristics, for the good of the show.

If the role is a black man, it would be ridiculous to require them to audition a bunch of white and Asian women.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
Entertainment jobs are not subject to the exact same laws as other employment. Directors and managers most certainly have the right to choose who they hire based on physical characteristics, for the good of the show.

If the role is a black man, it would be ridiculous to require them to audition a bunch of white and Asian women.

I believe the point has been made, but the point has also been made that the laws surrounding how the casting calls can be made preclude them making that kind of call.

This is an excellent example of why regulations meant to "help" are actually stupid and make no sense when they are written for every business.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Hello? What world do you live in?

You cannot be racist to or discriminate against white people.

Get with the times man, if you want real equality and diversity, we must destroy white people and their white supremacy.

Stand with me and end whiteness.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian
Sorry, I am a very slow learner,

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

It's okay, as long as you are giving it your best effort. Join me this weekend for a Trump protest. We are going to egg and spit on white girls, and maybe sucker punch a few white dudes.

It should be a loving event, Love Trumps Hate.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.

And when argued that that is exactly what they do in hamilton... Which is btw just ridiculous.

Nothing. If a director comes up with an idea for an all white 'The Color Purple' cast, with an idea behind it, sure, why not?

The only one i see not making any sense is you.

I do see a lot of hypocrisy from you though, not very surprising but always worth pointing out.

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 21 Nov 2016 01:06:15 -060016201611America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

They go low.

And I see you go low

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.

And when argued that that is exactly what they do in hamilton... Which is btw just ridiculous.

Nothing. If a director comes up with an idea for an all white 'The Color Purple' cast, with an idea behind it, sure, why not?

The only one i see not making any sense is you.

I do see a lot of hypocrisy from you though, not very surprising but always worth pointing out.

It's not hypocritical and why do you say not surprising? That is insulting.

The forst example would be a classic rendition of "A Raisin in the Sun'. Black cast would be called for. The second example, a thing I had not thought of , that another poster mentioned ....was what if a director came up with an idea of doing that play with an all White cast and with a good reasoning or meaning behind it? I simply answered them.

You have taken my posts out of context, on purpose and then insult me.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75

originally posted by: Annee

They go low.

And I see you go low

I researched Pence.

Did you?

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
How about they just cast the best performers and the mix of skin tone will be what it will be?

You mean hire people based on acting skill and performance ability? Sorry, but just like in the political/business/sports worlds, white people in positions of power and influence must be replaced because progress and diversity are more desirable than talent and merit.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

I agree, but remember that discrimination is discrimination regardless of the race of the subject. If "looking for white man, non-whites need not apply" is considered discriminatory, then so is "looking for black man, white people need not apply." Just list what you are looking for, not what you are not looking for.

edit on 21/11/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join