It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

OOps ‘Hamilton’ Casting Call For ‘Non-White’ Performers/May have violated the Law..???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So this would be the reverse of what you and your now producer friend fought against?

No, because the whole purpose of this production of Hamilton was to challenge our norms and imagine what if the founding fathers and mothers were people of color. That's the whole idea behind the production!

I don't know, but I would imagine he proudly floated a lot of dough toward that production.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: windword
I think that if the producers would have wrote that on the audition notice they would be in violation of the equity rules.

What they should've said, and what they changed it to say was "actors of color

Such an audition notice almost certainly violates Actors’ Equity rules, which state that producers must “provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

In addition, all shows must show a “commitment to a policy of nondiscrimination with respect to ... sex, race, color, creed, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, familial status, veteran status, or political persuasion or belief.”

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I don't remember the wording that they changed it to, but the change made the notice compliant. The producers were still able to realize their vision.

No fine, no harm, no foul.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Here's the notice that the producers put out.

The producers of HAMILTON regret the confusion that’s arisen from the recent posting of an open call casting notice for the show. It is essential to the storytelling of HAMILTON that the principal roles — which were written for non-white characters (excepting King George) — be performed by non-white actors.

This adheres to the accepted practice that certain characteristics in certain roles constitute a “bona fide occupational qualification” that is legal. This also follows in the tradition of many shows that call for race, ethnicity or age specific casting, whether it’s THE COLOR PURPLE or PORGY & BESS, or MATILDA.

The casting will be amended to also include language we neglected to add, that is, we welcome people of all ethnicities to audition for HAMILTON.

“HAMILTON depicts the birth of our nation in a singular way,” said producer Jeffrey Seller. We will continue to cast the show with the same multicultural diversity that we have employed thus far.”
fusion.net...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Nothing. If a director comes up with an idea for an all white 'The Color Purple' cast, with an idea behind it, sure, why not?

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
I hope you aren't white, there'd be plenty of black people asking you why assume it's ok.

Remember #OscarsSoWhite? There were all kinds of ideas, but some didn't like the lack of diversity and their complaints had nothing to do with acting merit.

bwahaha, I do not agree with it at all, but I defend with my life their right to do it.
has to be all blackface, 100%. but then someone got to do an all !00% whiteface the way Wayans did. OMG, that would be something to enjoy some medical herbs on.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Yes it looks like the rules/law was violated.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   

This is just foolish.

If casting requires an African American to fill an African American role, should they allow a "White Man in Black Face" so the snowflakes don't scream reverse racism. "You just hate me because I'm White!"

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: reldra

How about they just cast the best performers and the mix of skin tone will be what it will be?

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.

Sometimes Stupid is just Stupid

Hey! And don't specify gender when casting Belle for Beauty and the Beast.

Why stop at gender, if a man brought in his Pit Bull to be considered for the part of Babe the Pig, could he complain of species discrimination? No, certain roles call for a certain Race, Gender, and even Species.
Get over it Snowflake.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Now2016

This is just foolish.

If casting requires an African American to fill an African American role, should they allow a "White Man in Black Face" so the snowflakes don't scream reverse racism. "You just hate me because I'm White!"

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: reldra

How about they just cast the best performers and the mix of skin tone will be what it will be?

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.

Sometimes Stupid is just Stupid

Hey! And don't specify gender when casting Belle for Beauty and the Beast.

Why stop at gender, if a man brought in his Pit Bull to be considered for the part of Babe the Pig, could he complain of species discrimination? No, certain roles call for a certain Race, Gender, and even Species.
Get over it Snowflake.

There is no such thing as reverse racism.....it's just racism and it isn't limited to just minorities.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkphoenix77

There is no such thing as reverse racism.....it's just racism and it isn't limited to just minorities.
Very True, why confuse this with extra verbiage.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Now2016
We all have our own opinions, but hear is the law.

“You cannot advertise showing that you have a preference for one racial group over another,” McLaughlin said. “As an artistic question – sure, he can cast whomever he wants to cast, but he has to give every actor eligible for the role an opportunity to try.”

That is also the policy of Actors Equity, the Broadway union, which says, “…producers agree that auditions for all productions… will be conducted in such a manner as to provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Who are the founding mothers?

No, because the whole purpose of this production of Hamilton was to challenge our norms and imagine what if the founding fathers and mothers were people of color. That's the whole idea behind the production!

I don't know, but I would imagine he proudly floated a lot of dough toward that production.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Why is it the only time conservatives acknowledge racism, is when they feel it is directed towards white people?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bigdaddycruel6699

Hardly.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Hi Reldra your detractors know very well what you are talking about and the context thereof, but as usual they seek a me too victim hood, wook Wy ppl discriminated against , me bictim too mommy I wanna be a bictim can I mommy puees??...

edit on 20-11-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Not sure how theatre casting works.

But if they posted it, it's an open casting and imo "no whites need apply" would be against the law.

For film and tv producers go through various agents.

Here is what I got a few weeks ago. They more or less are like this.

Dear All :

A new HK movie "Golden Time of 72 hours - Years of Friendship 黃金七十二小時 之 友情歲月"

need... --------------------

Role 12) Agent A (bad), CAUCASIAN, can fight ! Role 13) Agent B (bad), CAUCASIAN, can fight !

...2 of them are work for Mr.Rice, scene # 8,11,14A,15,16,17,19,20,23,24,25,34,40,41,42,49,50,52... with Mr.Rice in a helicopter to monitor a FedEx truck, from Montenegro to chase the five main actors, shoot at Japan, United States, Cuba, in the end... will be arrested together with Mr.Rice !

Role 14) 1 Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), scene # 1,2,55 !

Role 17) 1 CIA FedEx Driver, real driver, scene # 7,9,12,14,16,22,23 !

Role 18) 1 FedEx Fat Driver, scene # 18,20,22,23 !

Role 20 a & b) 1~2 Sun-glasses Police, scene # 25 !

Role 37) 1 King of Boxer (King of Killers), scene # 44 !

Role 38) 1 CIA Deputy Director (good), scene # 54 !

Other Roles) 2 FOREIGN reporters ! --------------------

Casting : As soon, but need photos and/or video(s) asap !

no Facebook & WhatsApp ! Shooting Date(s) : January to April in 2017.

Shooting Location(s) : Some of them in Japan, United States, Cuba ; Some of them in Hong Kong !

Or this.

TextTravel Website online video need 1 CAUCASIAN girl (age 20~26)...

Requests : Active, lively & playful... no need casting, photos only ! Date : 9th(Wed.).

Time : TBC. Location : TBC. Payment : $1,800 / 9hrs !

More recent;

Dear All : A new HK movie need...

01) 3 FRENCH males, age 30~40, food reviewer roles , have temperament, acting well, fluent French & English.

02) 1 FOREIGN male, age 25~35, guest role, good outlook, can sing English songs.

03) 1 AFRICAN male, age 30~40, orphanage teacher role, fluent in English, can do driving, may be need to go with the crew to shoot in Africa.

Casting : As soon, but photos or video(s) first.
Shooting Date, Time & Location : TBC.

You won't see these in the paper here. (I forget what they are called in the states)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkphoenix77

My example was Roots. It would be completely inappropriate to cast all white people.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I don't know really. I supported Trump for President, but when it comes to the arts, I think people should be able to use who ever they want to be in the play. If it is all black, fine. All asian, fine. All white, fine. I really don't care as long as it is good. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Who are the founding mothers?

Betsy Ross?

The wives and mistresses of the Founding Fathers
And, whoever the females in the Hamilton cast were portraying.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I never have heard of the founding mothers is all. That is a new term for me.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

I think that if people are being paid then their has to be some checks and balances. If there are none, it could lead to a segregated society and this leads to unfair advantages based on race or some other protected status.

I don't know really. I supported Trump for President, but when it comes to the arts, I think people should be able to use who ever they want to be in the play. If it is all black, fine. All asian, fine. All white, fine. I really don't care as long as it is good. Just my 2 cents.

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join