It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fashion designer Who's Into "Diversity" "Dresses" Michell O, Refuses to "Dress" Melania Trump

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: olaru12

What is your point?

Social Media is a business as well. Do you think all those staff and servers are free use machines. Don't like it, don't participate.

My point is, that social media, ATS any www. enterprise is a business with expenses and rules of enguagement.

If you violate the T&C, you can be refused service. In my particular case, I pay the bills, thus I make the rules.

Violate my rules or even my sensibilities....I don't want your business. The real world is a bit more cruel than Mayberry rfd, goober.

Open a business and run it the way you want. Don't tell me how to run mine...
edit on 19-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It's none of our business until she makes it our business. Her "open letter" was tweeted, and now it makes its rounds on social media.

She didn't force you to Read twitter, or facebook. Christ!

Social Media is a business as well. Do you think all those staff and servers are free use machines. Don't like it, don't participate.

Take some personal responsibility for a change.

btw....stay out of my store!!!

I am only saying she is airing her grievances in public, so it would be ridiculous to say it is "none of our business".

I wouldn't step foot in your store. It smells like patchouli.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

It's none of our business until she makes it our business. Her "open letter" was tweeted, and now it makes its rounds on social media.

She didn't force you to Read twitter, or facebook. Christ!

Take some personal responsibility for a change.

btw....stay out of my store!!!

I wouldn't step foot in your store. It smells like patchouli.

Good....

Then we're in agreement cause I don't buy your BS.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Careful, you have very strict perimeters to who your business serves, if not to civil court you go.

You may find yourself buy products from a business you used to own.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well, she can refuse to dress Melania. That's her right.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

You don't know what you're talking about. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason, as long as that reason isn't race, religion, sex or disability, and to some degree, sexual orientation.

The designer is using her 1st Amendment right to protest Trump's rhetoric by refusing 1st Lady Melania Trump service, even though Melania never asked to be served. It's a public statement of repute.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You are missing the point. She is a person who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom, and respect for all lifestyles.

Do you see a conflict with what she says and what she does?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: rickymouse

There are retail laws that say you cannot refuse a customer.

Can you cite that law please.

From looking it up, it appears that this only applies to retail sales, in a store. It doesn't appear to apply to this situation. You cannot sell a product to one person at a set price and refuse to sell it to another person at the same price or you can lose your license. I learned this when I was going to sell a light store and sell retail. That is a law, I found that in my checking but not where a service like designing or services was the issue, you are only bound to not selling because of race, religious beliefs, sex, and handicap and one more. To my surprise, over half the states do not have laws that state you have to sell services to to people who have a different sexual orientation. But retail laws still say you can not discriminate so if it is off the shelf at the stated price you have to sell it unless government regulations limit the sale such as tobacco, alcohol, and guns and ammo and other things. Government regulations governing restrictions trump the retail laws.

Now, Trump could charge her with slander meaning she would have to prove that everything she said was true or she could lose her license to sell to the public. That was not stated as an oppinion, it was stated as fact from what I saw. People do not understand that what you say can get you in a lot of trouble, our freedom of speech does not give us the right to slander someone, that part of the law I know is out there in a lot of places and it is clearly written. It does not matter if it is a public official you slander or whether it is a customer. You may be able to refuse service but you keep your mouth shut.

I was a residential builder for many years, I could not do all the jobs that people wanted estimates on and I refused some work because people wanted to cut corner, I liked to do things the right way and I was not going to do substandard work on someone's home if I could help it. If the government was paying and they had requirements, I would do what they required but often I did it the right way and I wouldn't charge them the extra costs. But I would rarely say bad things about the people I did not choose to work for. I just told them I had no time or I didn't do certain things like metal roofs because I feared snow might hurt someone if it slid off. There is no reason why that woman had to badmouth Trump and his family. She could have just said I have other work to do and she would have been better off.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

You don't know what you're talking about. Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone for any or no reason, as long as that reason isn't race, religion, sex or disability, and to some degree, sexual orientation.

The designer is using her 1st Amendment right to protest Trump's rhetoric by refusing 1st Lady Melania Trump service, even though Melania never asked to be served. It's a public statement of repute.

The first amendment does not protect you from slandering someone.

www.business2community.com...

www.firstamendmentcenter.org...
edit on 19-11-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

You are missing the point. She is a person who celebrates and strives for diversity, individual freedom, and respect for all lifestyles.

Do you see a conflict with what she says and what she does?

Oh, don't me wrong. I see the hypocrisy. The thing is that the left never, ever will. Their's has become a movement more akin to a religion even if they don't think it is and this is about moral puritanism. They purge that is not "moral" in their eyes.
edit on 19-11-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I wonder if this Sophie lady was ever even asked to make clothes for Melania? I've seen Melania in some amazing dresses. She obviously has that under control. I doubt she would even want to use the same designer as Michelle. This non story was created when Sopie decided to turn down a job she was never asked to do. Lol@Sophie and the bigoted left.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

That's good question, do you have any solid info about her being asked or not?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Careful, you have very strict perimeters to who your business serves, if not to civil court you go.

You may find yourself buy products from a business you used to own.

Take me to court, sue me, you think I haven't been thru that before. I have a mad dog attorney that can turn it around and tap your butt with a frivolous lawsuit. It's not like I'm new at this....30+ years of being an entrepreneur, making and losing fortunes.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Wow, you like to live dangerously. That's what America is all about.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Wow, you like to live dangerously. That's what America is all about.

Precisely...We are blessed to live in a country where a person willing to take the risk can win big or lose his ass all by himself.

There in, is why I will defend this country with my dying breath.

edit on 19-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That awkward moment you realize how stupid your decision was......

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I'm still not sure what laws you're talking about. I'm in retail, have been for years and years. Yes, price gouging is against the law, so is racteteering.

Now, Trump could charge her with slander meaning she would have to prove that everything she said was true or she could lose her license to sell to the public.

No. No. No., Trump can't "charge" her with anything. He can accuse her in a civil law suit. But, here in America we are innocent until proven guilty. Not the other way around, as much as Trump would like it be.

That was not stated as an opinion, it was stated as fact from what I saw.

Again, I would ask you please cite the law.

There is no reason why that woman had to badmouth Trump and his family. She could have just said I have other work to do and she would have been better off.

How is she "bad mouthing" Trump and his family? She protesting Trump's own words and his own campaign promises by making a public statement of repudiation and refusal, her right according to the 1st Amendment.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
When youre in the public, and decide to make things public... its wise to meter your words. Youre responsible for everything you get in return when youre in the "eye". I dont care what her feelings are.. they are her own, but she hasnt much sense effecting her bottom line or reputation by drawing lines like she has. A lot of these pomped up sycophants havent figured that out yet.. and its a painful lesson. IMO.. and Im not alone.. feel her fashion sense is mediocre and she did the first lady a disservice in some of the frump threads she peddled. On Melanias worst day she dresses better than she would with that woman in control. I imagine right about now she is shocked at the cannibalistic nature of the fashion industry.. and twitter.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
OK, I guess if you go into business and decide that your clientele is going to be exclusively midgets wearing strap-ons. Then you ought to be able to do that, and if someday, one of your clientele comes in with the Pope, you ought to be able to say, "I am sorry, but you are not a midget wearing a strap-on. Please leave because we don't serve your kind here." to the Pontiff. He clearly isn't part of your clientele.

The question is ... would you?

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join