It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump A.G. Selection Signals Hazy Future for Cannabis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: underwerks

I have tried to look into it, but since most of the sites that present it positively sell it to me like used car salesmen sell the lemon on the lot ... it's hard to know.

Realistically speaking, there isn't much actual research on the subject that isn't biased either in one direction or the other. That makes it hard to know for sure.

But honestly, I could care less if you want to smoke your life away. My concern is that I don't want to have to support you in the social safety net if it turns out the Pollyana version of pot isn't as benign as advertised for you same as I don't want to support alcoholics or meth heads.

Considering that in states where it's legal you're looking at tax revenue's close to $100 million a year, if it was federally legally that would take some of the burden off of all of us.
www.thecannabist.co...
If used correctly that could fund all kinds of social services. Or, like in Colorado, give each resident part of the money every year.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
His asinine comment that "people who smoke marijuana are not good people" is a blatant lie based on his own bought and paid for scripted opinion. At this point in history I can safely say that most of us know at least one person who uses cannabis and is healthier and happier for it on top of being a genuinely decent person. Most consumers of cannabis that I know are some of the most decent and genuinely sincere people I know. Far better than those that will steal from their own families or fail at their adult duties because they are strung out on opiates.

Safely say? Your experience is far different than mine, but I guess it depends on the neighborhood you're in. See, the people I've known have stolen and failed in their adult duties just like any other opiate user, and the ones who don't steal are hundreds of dollars in "debt" by borrowing from family and/or friends. I know a guy who just can't seem to eat unless he's been smoking and gets the munchies, and another guy who's started developing anxiety out of nowhere. But the one thing they all have in common is 10+ years of THC and they will tell you with a straight face that pot is perfectly fine and healthy.

It might be fore people who actually benefit from it, but for everyone else its the same as abusing any other kind of medicine.

My experience is completely different from yours as well. I see hundreds of people every day who go to work, work hard, some even own large companies who are cannabis users. The stereotype of a cannabis user as a "druggie loser" is just that, a stereotype.

Come to where it's legal and meet everyone shopping at the stores everyday. It'd be an eye opening experience.

I am where its legal lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

His asinine comment that "people who smoke marijuana are not good people" is a blatant lie based on his own bought and paid for scripted opinion. At this point in history I can safely say that most of us know at least one person who uses cannabis and is healthier and happier for it on top of being a genuinely decent person. Most consumers of cannabis that I know are some of the most decent and genuinely sincere people I know. Far better than those that will steal from their own families or fail at their adult duties because they are strung out on opiates.

Safely say? Your experience is far different than mine, but I guess it depends on the neighborhood you're in. See, the people I've known have stolen and failed in their adult duties just like any other opiate user, and the ones who don't steal are hundreds of dollars in "debt" by borrowing from family and/or friends. I know a guy who just can't seem to eat unless he's been smoking and gets the munchies, and another guy who's started developing anxiety out of nowhere. But the one thing they all have in common is 10+ years of THC and they will tell you with a straight face that pot is perfectly fine and healthy.

It might be fore people who actually benefit from it, but for everyone else its the same as abusing any other kind of medicine.

My experience is completely different from yours as well. I see hundreds of people every day who go to work, work hard, some even own large companies who are cannabis users. The stereotype of a cannabis user as a "druggie loser" is just that, a stereotype.

Come to where it's legal and meet everyone shopping at the stores everyday. It'd be an eye opening experience.

I am where its legal lol.

Then you should already know.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), a former cabinet-level[1] component of the Executive Office of the President of the United States, was established in 1989 by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988. Its stated goal is to establish policies, priorities, and objectives to eradicate illicit drug use, manufacturing, and trafficking, drug-related crime and violence, and drug-related health consequences in the U.S.

By law, the drug czar must oppose any attempt to legalize the use (in any form) of illicit drugs.[12] According to the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 1998"[13] the director of the ONDCP

(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;
The Government Accountability Office has found that this law authorizes the ONDCP to disseminate information in order to oppose legalization:[14]

The ONDCP by it's Very Definition has the Power to Decide National Drug Policies . Does Any POTUS have the Authority to Eliminate this Office ?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Basically, what I have a problem with is that people who are pro-cannabis seem hell-bent on making it into a super product that is super-awesome for everything.

It will solve all our budget problems, clothe the world, cure every illness, seems to be a health food, when you smoke it, the vapors it gives off are also apparently therapeutic, etc. Oh, and, according to you, if you don't smoke it, you must be sour and unhappy person.

Actually, Hemp(non TCH) is the super product.

It just may solve some budget problems nationally. How will that be known if not given a chance? States have legalized recently, partly why is because they are seeing the monetary benefits other states have brought in from it.

I have a problem with the sense of perspective pro-marijuana people seem to have. Pro-marijuana folks are so pro-marijuana that they cannot seem to come up with anything bad about it. There is nothing at all bad about marijuana. In the eyes of the cannabis lobby, it will likely even bring about world peace!

Seriously, nothing, NOTHING, is that all good.

Now, I don't care if people want to smoke. I think all the ridiculous rules around tabacco are crap, but at least I know that tobacco has some pretty serious downsides, just like alcohol. And if you are wanting to keep your sense of perspective and have me take you at all seriously, then you will admit that marijuana also has its downsides just like they do.

You're aware that there are marijuana users that do not smoke it for concerns for their lungs? As do people worry for anxiety issues when they are coming down from it, more. Many also see it as an impairment with basic life activities, so they limit to to at home, not driving(good for that), etc.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It might be for people who actually benefit from it, but for everyone else its the same as abusing any other kind of medicine.

Just like any other opiate user? THC isn't an opiate.

Are you sure the people you are mentioning are marijuana users? Sounds more like they use opiates as well because marijuana users aren't known to act the way they do.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: MountainLaurel

The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), a former cabinet-level[1] component of the Executive Office of the President of the United States, was established in 1989 by the Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988. Its stated goal is to establish policies, priorities, and objectives to eradicate illicit drug use, manufacturing, and trafficking, drug-related crime and violence, and drug-related health consequences in the U.S.

By law, the drug czar must oppose any attempt to legalize the use (in any form) of illicit drugs.[12] According to the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 1998"[13] the director of the ONDCP

(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;
The Government Accountability Office has found that this law authorizes the ONDCP to disseminate information in order to oppose legalization:[14]

The ONDCP by it's Very Definition has the Power to Decide National Drug Policies . Does Any POTUS have the Authority to Eliminate this Office ?

Nope. But influence, influence, influence. Thanks for posting that, it's clear evidence why the stances on certain substances are so draconian. The Drug Czar by law can't have any opinion other than the party line.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

It might be for people who actually benefit from it, but for everyone else its the same as abusing any other kind of medicine.

I'm positive that the people you know aren't just using marijuana. I'm sure that they're also using other, harder drugs and that they just hide it from you. Sorry to break the news.

You're talking about people that have been using drugs for 10+ years and have psychological problems (anxiety issues). That's a textbook description of the kind of person that would be drawn towards hard drug use.

Marijuana alone can not have that kind of effect on an otherwise healthy person.
edit on 11/19/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I actually doubt Trump will go after marijuana in states who either have legalized it or legalized medical marijuana.

He wants to cut government spending and cut down on the size of the government. There's not much more wasteful than a crusade against marijuana in states which voted for it.

And as a businessman he also recognizes the added revenue states will bring in thru taxing it. I expect his drug war to focus on the border and the more dangerous drugs, like heroine which he's talked about a lot, and limiting their flow.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I actually doubt Trump will go after marijuana in states who either have legalized it or legalized medical marijuana.

He wants to cut government spending and cut down on the size of the government. There's not much more wasteful than a crusade against marijuana in states which voted for it.

And as a businessman he also recognizes the added revenue states will bring in thru taxing it. I expect his drug war to focus on the border and the more dangerous drugs, like heroine which he's talked about a lot, and limiting their flow.

Unless him as a "businessman" stands to make more personally from the Pharmaceutical lobby and the tobacco and alcohol companies that pay out every year in support of keeping cannabis illegal.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   

edit on 11/19/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Was hoping for that at first as well. Will he not flip flop is the question here. Hiring Sessions doesn't sound like a good start for Trump honoring states rights when it comes to marijuana.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I won't say that you don't have good points and legitimate concerns. But I also feel strongly that marijuana use will actually subside....after a few years. ..if it is legalized.

I have come to realize that there is an aspect of human nature that rebels against authority. Once marijuana becomes legal that aspect will be more subdued...once it is totally free...I believe people will step back and evaluate their personal use of it. It is no longer a matter of being told. .."You can't do that " It now becomes a matter of. ..is this what I want to do today.

I feel that most marijuana users. .use it as a distraction from the problems of life.... It's kind of like going to the movies... While you are there you are not thinking about the outside world. ...if you go to the movies multiple times a day every day. ...that creates problems

Of course once Trump gets everything back on track there will not be as many problems to need to be distracted from....

edit on 19-11-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

" Hiring Sessions doesn't sound like a good start for Trump honoring states rights when it comes to marijuana. "

I have to Disagree with you here . Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch's Actions as AG's was a Direct Result of President Obama's Influences . Jeff Sessions will more than likely be in the same position as his Predecessors . President Elect Trump's stance on this Issue of Marijuana has been stated by himself during his Campaign . He will leave it up to State Legislators to Determine their Policies concerning Marijuana , but all of them will Still conflict with Federal Law .

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Was hoping for that at first as well. Will he not flip flop is the question here. Hiring Sessions doesn't sound like a good start for Trump honoring states rights when it comes to marijuana.

Sessions is more about the borders and illegal immigration.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
The Attorney General does not make the laws.
He just follows the laws.
Your anger is misdirected.

We need someone who follows the laws, unlike Holder and Lynch.
The interpreted the laws to meet their own agendas, so I can see how people are confused about what an AG is supposed to do.
Sessions will follow whatever laws are in place.

The laws that are in place say it's federally illegal, and should be shut down everywhere. That's my concern.

Your concern is you might have to follow the law?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

An unjust law!

I feel It is my duty as a free and aware person to protest unjust laws!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

An unjust law!

I feel It is my duty as a free and aware person to protest unjust laws!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: BlueAjah
The Attorney General does not make the laws.
He just follows the laws.
Your anger is misdirected.

We need someone who follows the laws, unlike Holder and Lynch.
The interpreted the laws to meet their own agendas, so I can see how people are confused about what an AG is supposed to do.
Sessions will follow whatever laws are in place.

The laws that are in place say it's federally illegal, and should be shut down everywhere. That's my concern.

Your concern is you might have to follow the law?

An irrational, unjust law that has its basis in all things wrong with the government? You bet.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

You're absolutely right. ...and if the federal government tries to take things in the wrong direction. ..we need to organize a SERIOUS protest....This is one issue that we shouldn't back down on.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join