It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laughing Blogger Sums Up How Americans Feel About Cheap Labor Chasing Corporations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
A laughing blogger kinda gets how a lot of American's feel.

This 3 minute video on corporations insatiable thirst for ever cheaper labor is right on.

I usually don't look at bloggers, but this guy is a little funny, and gets it.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Any tariff imposed would have to be phased in over time. Slowly being implemented to allow companies to adjust.

The American people did this to them selves.
trane was mentioned in the video.
Trane found cheaper labor to build their units because we the people look for the cheapest cost when we buy something. Where it's made didn't matter.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Are you sure this is because the American people looking for cheap, stuff?

Is the unit price going to go down?

Or is the price going to stay the same and continue to steadily rise?

Any tariff imposed would have to be phased in over time. Slowly being implemented to allow companies to adjust.

Trane found cheaper labor to build their units because we the people look for the cheapest cost when we buy something. Where it's made didn't matter.

edit on 19-11-2016 by seasonal because: spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The narrative in the mass media is strongly opposed to deporting foreigners because thats the cheap labor pool in the US. Tariffs on imports used to be 30 percent to protect the american labor force, dissuading companies from moving out. Taxing corporations no matter where they operate would help, too.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

No, thats the advantage of operating overseas, labor laws are more lax. Nike shoes sell for a hundred dollars whether they are made for fifty cents an hour in Asia or twelve dollars an hour in the US.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That laugh is infectious, like syphilis.

So does this mean a 35% tariff on auto parts for the poor saps who own Fords (insert infectious laugh)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
When did those tariffs disappear?

Since the mid 1970's the gains in productivity hasn't been shared with the workers/employees. Is this around the time the tariffs were removed?

The narrative in the mass media is strongly opposed to deporting foreigners because thats the cheap labor pool in the US. Tariffs on imports used to be 30 percent to protect the american labor force, dissuading companies from moving out. Taxing corporations no matter where they operate would help, too.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

The blogger is a short-sighted idiot.

Any tariff imposed on an imported product simply raises the market value for that product. The additional cost will be passed on to the consumer, it will NOT be paid by the importing manufacturer.

The manufacturer loses nothing, and in fact gains by now offering a mundane item as what is now a luxury premium.

Furthermore, sensing that the price-base for the item in question has now inflated, domestic producers of the same item will be encouraged to increase their prices as well.

Bottled water, anyone?

In fact, seeking the luxury cache of that import sourcing, even more manufacturers could be encouraged to leave.

When was the last time you bought a TV made in the USA? Time was when. Sony was cheap and Magnavox was American. Sony got smart, innovatived, and became a "luxury" brand.

Whatever happened to Magnavox?

In the end, with punitive tariffs, only the consumer gets it in the bum.

So laugh now monkey boy, you'll be crying harder, later. And no one is going to do nothing to stop those tears!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

He may laugh, and have a decent job.

So laugh now monkey boy, you'll be crying harder, later. And no one is going to do nothing to stop those tears!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

When did those tariffs disappear?

About 9:35 into here...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
He ends by saying

"you know what I think, and you got a good idea why I think what I think, don'tcha."

I know what he thinks and I got a good idea why he think's it. He thinks it because he is a moron. Watch his eyes. During his little performance, one that is straight forward and simplistic, repeating simplistic concepts, he needs to keep referring to his monitor to read his notes.

Though you have ventured to address the issue of corporations and cheap labor, which I think is a good discussion, this moron seems to have made this video mostly just to keep attacking Obama like people have been doing for 8 solid years.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Thank you, I have never seen this video.

Every time I hear that a company is moving here or there, my heart sinks for the community that is going to be screwed.

THen when you look at the product that is the made in Mexico, for instance, it is the same price. IF there were a tariff, then it would be whatever % higher than the US made one (if there is one).

It seems to boil down to 5% revenue increase if we move to Mexico or 4.90% revenue increase in revenue if we stay in USA.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Every time I hear that a company is moving here or there, my heart sinks for the community that is going to be screwed.

I know. There goes some guys bread and butter, his mortgage, benefits, family, wiped out in a severance notice.

Trump says he's going to effect changes there, I hope so. Otherwise they turn this country into a wasteland. Like the beginning of the video shows the inner cities becoming ruins.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

all great points

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   

When's the last time you took a class in Business? Supply and demand died many years ago...speculation is the current paradigm. Play their game or gtfo.

I don't know where you live but in America, profit is king and the Corporate oligarchy tells the politicians what to do, not the other way around. It's capitalism, it's world wide and it's not gonna change.

All this political campaign lofty ideals is just BS. You will find that out soon....

I have a small time design/ mfg. biz and I get my products made in Korea. Put a tariff on my products and I'll just shut the doors and lay off all my retail people. I don't need anymore restrictions on my business than I already have.
edit on 19-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Are you sure this is because the American people looking for cheap, stuff?

Or is the price going to stay the same and continue to steadily rise?

The only objective in a business is to make a profit on its investment. Businesses do not exist to just give people stuff. Profit is a four letter word today. Unfairly so.
Ask what a fair profit is to 10 people and you will get 10 different answers.
Any business that can't sustain 8 to 10 percent profit margin might as well close the doors.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No, thats the advantage of operating overseas, labor laws are more lax. Nike shoes sell for a hundred dollars whether they are made for fifty cents an hour in Asia or twelve dollars an hour in the US.

You have barely touched the real cost of labor in America.
$12 vs $0.50 sounds like a lot but it's really not enough to cover shipping costs.
A $12 employee cost more than $12.
Add in social security, workmanship comp, 401k, medical insurance, vacation and sick leave.
That employee is now costing closer to $25 an hour than $12.
These operating expenses then get pass on to the consumer.

And Nike only costs so much because people are willing to pay for the little swish logo.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Most bigger businesses threaten to close the doors if they do not AT LEAST make 800 to 1000 percent profit margin....

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

Most bigger businesses threaten to close the doors if they do not AT LEAST make 800 to 1000 percent profit margin....

Ok, what business makes an 800% profit margin annually?

That's $8 for every $1 invested.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The point of inserting Nike into the conversation was to show that that corp pays horribly low wages, and charges the absolute tip top prices like Apple.

I don't think we are going to agree on this issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join