It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mike Pence Saw ‘Hamilton.’ The Cast Had Something to Say.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
...and here is one of the Hamilton crew's adverts for people:

Seeking NON-WHITE men and women, ages 20s to 30s, for Broadway and upcoming Tours!

So that is diversity then, as long as you are not white.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

...the main stream media and other bought-and-paid-for corporate outlets would have this plastered all over every possible propaganda outlet 24/7 with a heavy jingle about racism and intolerance from the right.

Maybe

:-)

We'll never know

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well I've been told that when it comes to baking cakes and things like that for weddings it better the heck be or you are discriminating and that's wrong.

Funny ketsuko. People paid for a show - and they got a show

Everything else is just a bonus

But, I see what you mean. Those damned liberals - why does everything always have to be their way?

edit on 11/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

He missed a real opportunity there. A savvy leader would have jumped on that opportunity like nobody's business - but, he only turned and walked away So much that I could say about that I don't even know where to start

That only would work IF they were willing to listen. It's hilarious that people everywhere are jumping at what Trump and Pence might do, the man hasn't even been sworn in yet and already people are working themselves into a lather over it! Let's face it the cast of Hamilton showed a total lack of decorum. Also considering the casting issues this can be seen as racist and before the usual suspects jump on this statement stop and think. A all black or self-identified as such cast [bet you big $$ a good percentage have some of that evil white in their recent lineage] uses their play as a platform to verbally warn [?] or preach to the soon to be white VP about race relations [among other social issues of the moment]??? If this had been done to our current Prez by a white cast we would never hear the end of the "how racist" or "in poor taste" the pulpit was. People need to get a grip, did we see this kind of nonsense after Obama was elected by the racist whites? Individual a**holes don't count! At least wait till Trump actually does something racist before jumping on his case. All I am seeing is the real start of totalitarianism, if the method of the election was good enough to get Obama elected it is good enough to get Trump as well. Sour grapes over the outcome like we are seeing is the way real way freedoms get destroyed. As a reminder, as the electorial college stands Hilary only won Albany, NYC and one other county in the state. She won the electorial vote for the whole state because NY is winner take all. Those areas that voted Trump were ignored in favor of the big population areas of the state. SO the are we to take that as fair? Or is it really only about what it takes to get our person elected?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: jellyrev

But then they should also respect when a business does not want to produce a good/service for a gay wedding. free speech.

That is not free speech. That is using your speech, or perhaps religious belief, to discriminate against other people, even though you are conducting business open to the public in general.

Free speech and religious freedom is everyone's right, but only goes so far. Once you force someone else to pay the "costs" of that speech/religious belief, your right ends.

Hmmm ... sounds exactly like what happened at the play. Maybe Trump is right. LOL

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Free speech, free expression should always be defended, even when done by morons.

And should expected when addressing a man who thinks the government should control women's bodies and brainwash homosexuals.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

I think it might do white America good to try and experience life in Selma in the 50s-60s through art. You apparently think the left would be wrong in what you assume would be outrage but it's okay for you to actually be outraged that someone was inspired by Hamilton's story and took creative license in his spirit cuz not white.

I agree whole heartedly. I would also add that it would do black America good to try and experience life in the era of the Civil War. Where hundreds of thousands of white people paid the ultimate price in a divided nation that ultimately abolished slavery. The first Republican President paid the ultimate price for that war. Maybe with this Republican President our nation will finally heal. Here's to hope.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

What do I think? Well since you asked. I supported Donald Trump for President. The guy pretty much told Pence that they are scared that the new President will let awful things happen to them. Then he said that he hoped the show will inspire him to be a better man than what they think he is. It is kind of rude. But it is what has become the norm to at least half of America. With that said. They are Americans. I am American. We just had a President that would not listen to half of America. I hope Trump listens to that half of America so we can become a whole America. That is what a good leader will do. What Obama's administration never understood is, you can't disagree with someone until you listen to them, but at least listen. I try to listen to someone's argument with an open mind. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail. But if they can change my out look with their words, then I have been taught something new.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
They made him feel uncomfortable, big deal. That goes with the territory for all celebrities. Trumps biggest flaw is he is thin skinned - he should of stayed out of it. Pence is man enough to stand up for himself.
edit on 11/20/16 by verylowfrequency because: just say what again

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Some of the oldest traditions associated with the thespians art, not to mention the work of playwrights, directors and the dramatic arts more generally, have to do with providing social commentary. Anyone who fails to understand the importance of the theatre in politics historically, has not been paying the attention this matter is due. Shakespeare plays, for example, are not mere whimsy, they tell tales much larger than the narrative depicted, far more boundless than the limitations of the stage on which they play out, and at the time were radical and risky, especially considering that the powerful people toward whom he would often jostle with his subtexts were in the crowds of theatre goers.

The stage has ALWAYS been a political platform, and this cast are merely continuing that tradition, and engaging their freedom of speech and expression as they have every right to do.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Indeed, just like those who think they were rude and obnoxious were expressing their freedom of speech.
Apart from being rude and obnoxious, they also made a request that has already been promised - for the administration to work for all the people. It was the theme of their request in fact.

Maybe they should have taken into account that Trump and Pence had stood on stage and announced that it is time come together and that that they will work for all. Some balance would have helped them not sound like a bunch of spoiled children, grandstanding and actually dividing the country even further.

The world has also moved on since Shakespeare. Actors and celebrities are just about the last people one should listen to.
edit on 20/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

Since most of your post is about things that have been discussed to death already - and because I'm only on my first cup of coffee, I'm going to focus on this:

That only would work IF they were willing to listen. It's hilarious that people everywhere are jumping at what Trump and Pence might do, the man hasn't even been sworn in yet and already people are working themselves into a lather over it!

I assume you meant if the cast/audience was willing to listen to his response?

Trump and Pence haven't been sworn in yet, but they have both stated the things they want to do and plan on doing. I think people have plenty to go on and their questions are legitimate. If they were just talking? Well, what can any of us say about that

Either way - there was something there that could have turned into a dialogue. Only problem is, one of the guys stood up and walked out when he could have very easily turned and said something - anything. The other guy just tweets they need to apologize

That our next president is more concerned with the cast of Hamilton apologizing than he is with the many, many issues that he has on his plate now - what should we say about that?

What can we say about a president and vice president that won't even play the game? All he had to do is tweet that he will work on behalf of all people. But, no - his first priority is to get them to apologize - for something he's going to be dealing with on a much larger scale day in day out for the next four years. Apparently, he decided it was important enought that he tweeted about it again last night:

The cast and producers of Hamilton, which I hear is highly overrated, should immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior

Of course, trashing SNL is also a priority:

I watched parts of @nbcsnl Saturday Night Live last night. It is a totally one-sided, biased show - nothing funny at all. Equal time for us?

Equal time? He knows he won - right?

edit on 11/20/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The stage has ALWAYS been a political platform, and this cast are merely continuing that tradition, and engaging their freedom of speech and expression as they have every right to do.

Love that. Your whole post

It's always been a part of politics - you're right

We've just been through a few years of fake news, constant memes, and listening to each other regurgitate the same bullcrap to each other over and over again until it all feels completely meaningless - or like an attack you have to defend. We have to defend it from the corner we've been forced into, and so it goes...

I have a feeling art is going to be a very important part of the next four years

edit on 11/20/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Wtf? Protect you from what?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Vice President-elect Mike Pence says he wasn’t offended when he was challenged by the cast of the Broadway hit “Hamilton” and encourages everyone to try to see the sold-out show.

www.breitbart.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I still dont understand what they think they need protection from?

Pence should have said "protect you from what?".
edit on 20-11-2016 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Pence should have said "protect you from what?".

The erosion of our civil liberties.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Wtf? Protect you from what?

What I love about your question is it pretty much proves how much damage an echo chamber can do

I can understand when people don't agree that people's concerns are real - but to not even know what those concerns are?

This is (partly) how we got our new king

I think it would be a good idea to read around - that won't mean you're cheap

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
...and here is one of the Hamilton crew's adverts for people:

Seeking NON-WHITE men and women, ages 20s to 30s, for Broadway and upcoming Tours!

So that is diversity then, as long as you are not white.

That should not be allowed. How can a so called 'liberal' see that and not see how blatantly racist it is?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join