It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Pence Saw ‘Hamilton.’ The Cast Had Something to Say.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is the deal: If you are in business to sell a product to your customers, then you better make a calculation before you do something controversial or allow something controversial to be done by your employees. How much of your potential customer base might you be ticking off with what you are about to do?

Who are your customers and what might they think of what you are doing?

Let's go back to the Starbucks Race Together. Starbucks said they wanted to create a national dialogue on race, but what they really did was offend a lot of their customers in a lot of ways, and I'm not just talking about white conservative customers but also black ones and even liberal ones. All of them saw the attempt differently, but all were equally angry about it.

Most were of the opinion that they wanted Starbucks to just serve them coffee and stop with the social agenda before caffeine already.

Another example is the NFL and their declining ratings and the anthem protests. Now that the election is over, we'll see if it really was the election sucking wind out of their sales or other things, including the increasingly political advocacy and stances taken by the NFL and the TV announcers during games.

Liberal of conservative, people generally watch their sports to get away from the politics of life, not have it injected into who did or did not complete that last forward pass.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: DBCowboy

Where have I advocated they shouldn't? Or are you speaking in generalities, and I'm just not quite awake enough to figure that out?

Have another cup of coffee, I was speaking in generalities.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Feel free to disagree.

I do :-)

As for my calling them brats? Did I see, or didn't I, a little blurb in their screed about finding it difficult to go out on stage after the election?

The election is over. Our conversation with our new administration is just beginning

Seagull - isn't it funny how now we're all talking about how rude this is? Rude? Like this country all of a sudden has forgotten it's manners?

I think it's impossible for us to really understand each other is how it seems to me. We're brats if we voice our concerns in the wrong place, at the wrong time, in the wrong way

But, patriots at other times?

Depends on where you're standing when you're looking I guess

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a quasi-religious element to this sort of politics. Leftist's tend to use their political persuasions to proselytize wherever there is an absence of any other principles.

This behavior hasn't had the public scorning religious proselytizing has had, so it has seeped into areas that would do better to remain unbiased.
edit on 19-11-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My understanding of what happened is this: This was at the end of the musical.

Watching the video, the actor speaking, silenced the booing, against the new VP, and gave him something to think about and put forth a concern and a fear going through the country. And one that is justified. There was no disrespect at all given.

Now if putting forth what would be the actual fears to an elected official is out of line, or considered disrespectful, if doing such in front of an audience is wrong, then why be in politics at all?

There was nothing that stated or threatening to what was stated, and we do live in a country, where there are freedoms are so held high and revered, that even to stop one person from doing such, starts us on a dark and dangerous path, that it would in turn affect all of us.

Trump and Pence, the President and Vice President, they have to understand and know that people were paying attention to what was being said during the campaign, they have to understand that their past actions is all that the country has to go on. And if they can't handle people calling them out on such, to express the very fear that various groups are having about them being in a position of such authority, then Trump and Pence need to resign now and disappear into obscurity and ask for new elections to be held.

This very freedom, the freedom of speech, we should not be threatening anyone over it, but accepting that all have that right.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: StoutBroux

...should have been honored...

Get a grip. Honoured for what reason?

He is a wing nut extremist VP elect.

Not Jesus Christ.

One does not need to be a deity in order to be honored. There is nothing wrong with honoring a person of respect and/or of importance and power. We honor many types of people in our lives; our parents, our elders, our teachers and our leaders in the community etcetera. Your negative opinion is noted, however my statement is not out of line. No need for nastiness.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Meanwhile, in other Hamilton news ...

As CBS2’s Tony Aiello reported, the controversy was sparked by a casting notice posted by the producers of “Hamilton,” which specifically seeks “non-white” performers.

One critic said “Hamilton” takes a story that “valorizes dead white guys” and replaces it with black, Latino and multi-ethnic performers playing America’s founding fathers.

But as the blockbuster musical looks to expand to other cities, the casting notice with its call for “non-white” performers looks problematic to civil rights attorney Randolph McLaughlin.

“What if they put an ad out that said, ‘Whites only need apply?’” said McLaughlin, of the Newman Ferrara Law Firm. “Why, African-Americans, Latinos, Asians would be outraged.”

McLaughlin believes the ad violates the New York City Human Rights Law, which makes it unlawful “for an employer… because of the actual written or perceived… race of any person, to discriminate.”

“You cannot advertise showing that you have a preference for one racial group over another,” McLaughlin said. “As an artistic question – sure, he can cast whomever he wants to cast, but he has to give every actor eligible for the role an opportunity to try.”

That is also the policy of Actors Equity, the Broadway union, which says, “…producers agree that auditions for all productions… will be conducted in such a manner as to provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

Oops!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I'm confused you don't think the government should keep list of people it gives visas to?

There may also be precedent for the move. Mr. Higbie cited controversial measures such as the internment of Japanese immigrants during the Second World War.

And apparently not unconstitutional - if you read more here

Trump Camp’s Talk of Registry and Japanese Internment Raises Muslims’ Fears

Mr. McCaw, the spokesman for CAIR, said that the proposals advanced by Mr. Higbie and Mr. Kobach might seem to be different in degree, but that the two ideas — a database of names and internment camps based on religious or ethnic heritage — were inexorably linked. “I really do feel as though the prospect of internment is always tied to registries of people,” he said.

All talk - for now? So, at the time of the Japanese internment camps - did anyone speak up?

What I think is that the fact that we're even talking about this is cause for concern. I think it's not an outrageous idea that people speak out against things that seem harmless now, but turn into crimes later when it's too late

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
To be fair, ATS is pretty good for this, identifying both sides of the arguement and at least hearing an alternative side when msm either presents a biased opinion or worse still ignores it altogether!!!
Not goin all girly wipe here, but I'm glad we still got this, especially after the election when we all thought most would drop off!!
Vive la revolution!! .. Or , U know, reading material and more biscuits.. Either or..

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I know you do. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Voicing your concerns is great, again, wouldn't have it any other way.

Let me ask you this, you are out on the town enjoying a play, or a musical. You aren't a public figure (are you?), just someone work a day tax payer out to enjoy an evening.

I know your political leanings, as it pertains to Trump anyway, how would you feel if members of the cast of that play felt it necessary to voice their opinions after you spent good money to, perhaps, get away from politics for an evening--though I must admit Hamilton is kind of a weird choice for that...anyway.

Wouldn't you be a bit, even a lot depending upon those views expressed, put out?

I share the reservations about Trump, I've never said otherwise, my problem with them is the time, and the place. That's all.

It has nothing to do with patriot, or not.

We've reached the point of agreeing to disagree. I'm fairly sure we'll engage again...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

All talk - for now? So, at the time of the Japanese internment camps - did anyone speak up?

For now. If it ever even remotely looks to become more than talk, I'll be in the streets with you.

Some did. But not enough.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Bye.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah
Look at your link. The characters in Hamilton aren't white. The casting was only being faithful to the script.

Stepping back from all this and looking at the bigger picture, I can see where the fears are. Trump said during his campaign some incorrect and insulting things. Racist? Idk, it depends who you ask. Read below.

Trump stated
“What can be simpler or more accurately stated? The Mexican Government is forcing their most unwanted people into the United States. They are, in many cases, criminals, drug dealers, rapists, etc.”
Sources:
link - www.businessinsider.com
link - www.washingtonpost.com

This is untrue. Comments like these are why people lose trust in Trump and are scared. They wnat assurance he'll follow the facts in teh future.
edit on 11/19/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

...how would you feel if members of the cast of that play felt it necessary to voice their opinions after you spent good money to, perhaps, get away from politics for an evening--though I must admit Hamilton is kind of a weird choice for that...anyway.

"Hamilton is a story about America, and the most beautiful thing about it is...it's told by such a diverse cast with a such diverse styles of music," says Renee Elise Goldberry, the actress who plays Angelica Schuyler. "We have the opportunity to reclaim a history that some of us don't necessarily think is our own." The creator insists that all of the Founding Fathers be played by people of color, i.e. non-white, and is open to women playing as the Founding Fathers.

Definitely - a weird choice :-)

I gotta say, it's the sort of performance that brings all this up to the surface. Emotionally - and intellectually. And we've just gone through a humdinger of an election

Wouldn't you be a bit, even a lot depending upon those views expressed, put out?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I like street theater. I like real. I love this - and if it were reversed? God - can you even imagine if the cast members of an all white play made a political statement similar to this to President Obama while he was sitting in the theater?

Bring it! I'd pay extra for that

:-)

We've reached the point of agreeing to disagree. I'm fairly sure we'll engage again...

Engage? :-)

Naw - we agree on the important parts. All I'm saying is - this was real. So much of what we've been spoonfed this past year was calculated. Real people with real concerns after a moving bit of art - while our new VP is sitting right there?

If not now when? Plenty of time for polite later on
edit on 11/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

For now. If it ever even remotely looks to become more than talk, I'll be in the streets with you.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but if it does - meet you in the streets

I wish I had a really good photo of a raised fist to post right now - but, I don't

:-)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: DAVID64

I think if you're about to be the Vice President of the United States of America, you don't get a break for a play... you are in service of the people 24/7. That's the job he signed up for.

Wow, like Obama never took the time to work on his swing, throw weekly parties, go to sporting events and vacay with his pooches getting their own jet.

Obama plans regular happy hours

Judicial Watch: Obamas Spent $79.6 Million on Travel Expenses So Far

Maybe Pence should have taken a hint from Lincoln about the danger of going to the theater.

Good thing Trump is a work-aholic.

Trump: No 'big' vacations, no salary as president

IMHO this was done in poor taste and disrespectful, so what's new?

edit on 11/19/2016 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Here is the deal: If you are in business to sell a product to your customers, then you better make a calculation before you do something controversial or allow something controversial to be done by your employees. How much of your potential customer base might you be ticking off with what you are about to do?

Is everything in life only about profit?

They did discuss this before doing it. I don't think everything in is some kind of easily explained equation. Emotions do matter. Not everything is done for political gain either

Boycott Hamilton Trends After The Cast's Speech To Mike Pence, But This Can Actually Be A Good Thing

Think about it: The show is frequently sold out. If an entire political party decides to boycott the Broadway musical, that may mean that there could be ticket openings, empty seats, and all that good stuff. In some ways, those boycotting Hamilton are doing the rest of us a favor.

However, those calling for a boycott of Hamilton may have missed the point of the message altogether. At no point in Dixon's speech does he say anything hurtful to Pence. If anything, he does the opposite: discouraging the audience from booing and focusing on protecting all people in America.

It's a funny article. Who knows - maybe a huge number of people will boycott this. That's their right - and it's not like it hasn't happened a lot in this country

Ivanka Trump boycott campaign #GrabYourWallet claims retail victory

edit on 11/19/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: tiny little words

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

In my opinion had Hills won the election and this was Kaine and a cast of actors emphasized their concern about the future under his/her new leadership, the main stream media and other bought-and-paid-for corporate outlets would have this plastered all over every possible propaganda outlet 24/7 with a heavy jingle about racism and intolerance from the right.

I have ZERO doubt about this, the proof is in the precedence already set by the aforementioned left-aligned group(s).

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Well I've been told that when it comes to baking cakes and things like that for weddings it better the heck be or you are discriminating and that's wrong.

And when it comes to providing health insurance it better cover everything and not only services that you as the owner are comfortable providing or else that might be discriminatory and that's wrong.

So your business better only be for profit and not about morals when the left says so?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

t's a funny article. Who knows - maybe a huge number of people will boycott this. That's their right - and it's not like it hasn't happened a lot in this country Ivanka Trump boycott campaign #GrabYourWallet claims retail victory

I seriously doubt that anyone butt-hurt about the election would buy Trump products anyway and the people who want them will find them elsewhere. They might just find that they lost the business of their customers who were Trump supporters.

Whatever.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join