It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mike Pence Saw ‘Hamilton.’ The Cast Had Something to Say.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Where have I advocated they shouldn't? Or are you speaking in generalities, and I'm just not quite awake enough to figure that out?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That made me laugh

:-)

link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: seagull

I was less than favorably impressed. Some brats need to grow the Hell up.

You think this was a normal election then? The things that came up during this election were not the same things as we've come to expect. We're looking at a government that plans to register Muslims, just for starters. It wasn't just talk

People in this country are more than concerned - they're actually afraid. I know some people say it was all just talk, so - if this is how you see it I can understand how this might look like superficial nonsense to you

But, for much of America right now, we have to be able to deal with the reality that presents itself. That Donald Trump plans on doing the things he said he would do. The midterms aren't going to be a big enough band aid to fix this. We're in uncharted territory now

What they did was very respectful. Especially considering what night happen if we don't all speak up. I think in a country like ours, where we do have the freedom to speak, in public, with our elected officials - there is no venue that isn't appropriate

I think it's interesting that you call them brats

I'm confused you don't think the government should keep list of people it gives visas to? What would be the point of even handing them out then if you didn't keep the information somewhere? See heres the thing Trump stated he believed anyone entering the country should be on a data base. Ohhhhhhh noooooooooo that's racist isn't it? well no its not its a requirement by anyone who enters the country and every country in the world does it. The problem is the government doesn't share this information between the different agencies that needs to change.

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
At least back then it wasn't about public displays of virtue, I suppose.

What is your opinion on Booth's exclamation? I get the feeling he was trying to appeal to someone's 'virtues'.

This has be de rigueur since ancient times. We can even use the way back machine and read about what Marcus Junius Brutus declared from the Rostra after he and his merry band of do gooders ruined Mr. Caesar's constitution (which ironically also occurred in a theater).

edit on 19-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Not attend sure, cause I didn't have to attend. Stay?!? Yes, I was forced to stay but poltical / sexual / personsl affiliations are just that.. Personal! .. I went out to a show on a Friday night, bit of dinner, show, maybe proposing to my girl after a weekend away, it's not my job to get all indignant when all I wanted was a good night out, same as it wasn't yours to put me in that uncomfortable position ( just hypothetical btw ) id say a lot of the audience felt uncomfortable! a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I thought it was cool.
A civil message to a political VIP.
It's not often you get the ear of a high level guy.

It's not like they sat him in the John Wilkes "Booth" and screamed at him to cooperate.
Nothing like a message that sparks some decent dialog.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Midnite247
Stay?!? Yes, I was forced to stay but...

How would you be forced to stay? Are their Imperial Stormtroopers guarding the exits?

And no worries if there are, they cannot shoot for s***.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I will echo what many others have said in the thread so far. I have zero problem with them saying what they did when they did, it is their right and freedom of speech. I dont have to like it or agree with it, but they have every right to make a statement if they wish.

That said, everyone who is saying they have a right to do this, to make a political statement at work, in their place of business in front of paying customers, then people better not have a problem with other business practicing their freedom of speech even it offends their delicate sensibilities.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You could be right. At least with this case, the cast-members will be able to find out if their judgements were right or wrong. As of now, their judgements are derived from nothing but propaganda and group-think. We'll never know if Lincoln would turn out to be a tyrant.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
You could be right. At least with this case, the cast-members will be able to find out if their judgements were right or wrong.

I am very okay with history being the judge, it seems to be even more impartial than Blind Justice.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Got it! I get U. V true . Ur sliding into freedom of speech with that, which I 100% agree.. Differrnt topic here tho so I don't want to sidetrack, ur right there, wrong here. a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

That said, everyone who is saying they have a right to do this, to make a political statement at work, in their place of business in front of paying customers, then people better not have a problem with other business practicing their freedom of speech even it offends their delicate sensibilities.

As for free speech at work? It's totally up to the businesses owners to decide what subject matter or range of statements are acceptable from their employees.

However I say that with the qualifier that this does not cover discriminatory behaviors the likes of which we've seen so much of in the past few years, ala' "gay cakes" and Kim Davis.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I watched a video of that and I've got to say, they may have the right to do that, but it was incredibly rude and pretty stupid financially. It had nothing at all to do with the actual musical and now they have lifted a middle finger to half their potential audience. The boycott is deserved. I wonder how the financial backers feel about that?

Who pays way too much money to see a musical and then be treated that way? I'd hope they issued a refund to anyone who asked for one.

To be even more honest, that amounts to hate. I'd hope people know they are giving money to political bigots when they buy a ticket.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

A normal election?

Anything but, I was watching just like everyone else.

However, it's over. ...and like the adults we are, it's time to move on to seeing if we can't ensure that the most good is done for the most people. Isn't it?

...and this isn't doing that. Feel free to disagree.

As for my calling them brats? Did I see, or didn't I, a little blurb in their screed about finding it difficult to go out on stage after the election?

Kinda brattish to my eyes.

Feel free to disagree.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yup.

Mid-terms in two years, less a few days, will tell much of the tale. History the rest.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: ketsuko

I think it might do white America good to try and experience life in Selma in the 50s-60s through art. You apparently think the left would be wrong in what you assume would be outrage but it's okay for you to actually be outraged that someone was inspired by Hamilton's story and took creative license in his spirit cuz not white.

More so the hypocrisy that would follow with the outrage of white people playing the roll of black people...I can hear the cries of racist already...but for them it's fine cause they're protected right. I digress though...the point of this thread is it was quite rude to take a shot at Pence in a situation such as this just because you've made assumptions about how you think their adminstration will be. Let's remember they haven't even taken office yet. I'm about ready to find a remote corner of Alaska to crawl up in as the majority of my countrymen embarrass the hell out of me.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No, you are totally missing the point. They absolutely have right to say what they want, they don't have the right to call out a member of the audience ( reporter, vp, chef, whoever) and make a psycophantic decree against potus elect when the rest of the audience could care less, it's not Ur place to give personal comment that your paying audience may/may not agree with , especially when the person putting on the show has a personsl politcal agenda. Keep it outside!! a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist
I will echo what many others have said in the thread so far. I have zero problem with them saying what they did when they did, it is their right and freedom of speech. I dont have to like it or agree with it, but they have every right to make a statement if they wish.

That's the problem its a one way street isn't it. If a business says something a group doesn't like people are trying to get business license's pulled or filling court cases. Freedom of speech only applies to those that agree with the message apparently. I guess being an immigrant myself I see hypocrisy everywhere, For example we have colleges preaching diversity and protesting. But this same college restricted the positions that white people can have in there protest.

The attitude seems to be we can restrict white people any way we choose because there racist and need to pay for past sins. Sadly most white people here had nothng to do with it and just want to be left alone. But these actions are doing nothing but cementing resistance to there cause. Look at BLM changing the way law enforcement interacts with the public is a good thing. Problem is they are injecting racism into the argument and attacking white people for perceived injustices. You cant battle racism by accusing people of racism it diminishes your argument. I cant believe more people don't see how the left in this country is just full of contradictions. We are watching there party implode as many democrats are just going to walk away from the madness.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
. AND FINALLY .. someone gets the point!!
a reply to: Blaine91555

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
. AND FINALLY .. someone gets the point!!
a reply to: Blaine91555

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join