It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane crash in Nevada sets fire, homes evacuated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

www.google.com... have not seen a post for this yet. please move or delete if needed

Plane crash in Nevada sets fire, homes evacuated

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Witnesses on social media reported the crash occurred in a parking lot, where parked vehicles exploded from the impact.

Aspen and Cimmaron ways and Mountain City Highway are closed, reports the Elko Daily Free Press

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It appears to be a medical flight out of the regional airport.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Piper PA-31, four people believed on board.

PA-31

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
My thoughts are with the families of the victims. So sad. 😢

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Wow, terrible news. I hope a patient wasn't on it. I have to ask Zaphod, can these small planes not do dead stick landings very well or is that possible?

edit on 19/11/16 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

They can, but on takeoff, you're heavy and slow and things are happening fast. If you don't, or can't react immediately you're in trouble.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: spirit_horse

They can, but on takeoff, you're heavy and slow and things are happening fast. If you don't, or can't react immediately you're in trouble.

Exactly... Also the Pa-31 was never known for extra power. The remaining good engine has taken many to the scene of the crash upon take-off if an engine failed. Many called the piper Navajo a twin engine Navajoke especially if it was flown at any high altitude airports.
youtu.be...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They confirmed it was a medical flight. Three crew and the patient, who was having heart problems. They were transporting to the University of Utah Medical Center.

elkodaily.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
Wow, terrible news. I hope a patient wasn't on it. I have to ask Zaphod, can these small planes not do dead stick landings very well or is that possible?

There are several variants of the Piper PA-31. The base model is a twin engine cabin class 6500 pound MTOW aircraft. The engines on this model were 310 hp each. There are other variants with turbocharged 350 hp engines and turboprop conversions available. They are very controllable with one failed engine. The single engine rate of climb listed in the aircraft flight manual on one engine, even at max gross weight, is a positive 245 feet per minute. The potential problems start if you let the aircraft slow down below Vmc, or minimum single engine control speed, which memory tells me is 72 knots, or about 83 mph. Below that the moment arm of the asymetrical thrust overpowers available rudder authority and a loss of lateral control can happen. Being overweight or having an aft (rearward) center of gravity can make it worse, as can delaying "cleaning up" the aircraft by raising the landing gear, retracting the flaps, and feathering the dead prop. When full, it carries 187 gallons of 100 octane avgas.

top topics

join