It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Thousands Of Fish Die In New York "Fishpocalypse"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There was a massive die-off of bunker Monday in the Shinnecock Canal in Hampton Bays, New York. The number of dead fish numbered in at least the tens of thousands. The current hypothesis among experts appears to be that the enormous school of bunker were being attacked by a large school of bluefish in the bay and fled into the canal. Unfortunately for the bunker, the locks were closed for the night and so they were trapped, their massive numbers quickly depleting the oxygen from the surrounding waters. By morning, there was a thick silver blanket of the dead and dying fish, some writhing helplessly or flopping in vain as they suffocated.

Tens of thousands of dead fish clog Shinnecock Canal on Long Island

As videos of the rare sight go viral, people are now looking for answers.

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation told CBS News on Tuesday that they are monitoring the incident.

“No additional fish kills have been reported overnight or today,” said Erica Ringewald, the department’s media relations director. “Some dead bunker are floating in the Shinnecock Bay but most are believed to have sunk to the bottom.”

The town of Southampton has been cleaning up the dead fish on the beaches and DEC Marine Resources is arranging for aerial overflights to track the movement of the dead fish, Ringewald explained.

“Southampton worked with the County Department of Public Works to open and close the canal to keep the oxygen levels up while allowing some fish to escape,” she said.

Here's a drone video showing the scale:

Video from the shore:

edit on 2016-11-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Could have quoted the pictures "In preparation for Lent."

I can't imagine the cleanup effort that will/has be involved, wow.

ETA: Also, found this in the Wiki link.

Menhaden are not used directly for food. They are processed into fish oil and fish meal that are used as food ingredients, animal feed, and dietary supplements.[5] It has a high omega-3 fat content. Fish oil made from menhaden also is used as a raw material for products such as lipstick.[7]

They will be put to use however it seems.

edit on 18-11-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-11-2016 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yeah, they were chased by a predator alright.

Nature is cruel, yet beautiful.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   
They starved of oxygen eh, I doubt that somehow.

These mass fish die offs that keep popping up are getting a little troubling, it's like the birds falling out of the sky. A hypothesis is all well and good but, until a proper explanation is found I'm forced to default to 'end of the world, overnight apocalypse'.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
1. Shinnecock LMAO!!!
2. nine times out of ten, large scale fish die offs like this are traceable to oxygen issues in the water. Every Spring we find dozens of huge char and trout dead in the shallows a few weeks after ice-out in lakes around Alaska. It's tough to reconcile in your head because these large fish come into shallow waters around the shore to feed and spawn and, since that shallow water warms up quickly, there is usually low oxygen levels from decay of vegetation dead over the winter combined with a greater activity of aquatic insects and their waste... these big old hawgs suffocate just feet away from colder, deeper, more oxygenated water.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Seriously? If it was a variety of sea life, I would agree, but one particular type of fish? This points to prey being chased by a predator, into a locked, lock.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Who locks the lock if Locke is at the other lock?

I don't know why I typed that, just sounded cool in my head.

I know I'm not being serious obviously. It's 100% the apocalypse though. For sursies.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ba reply to: burdman30ott6

Shinnecock is a Native American name. Most of the towns names on LI are derived from Native American sources, rivers included.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Can you eat it or make cat food? What a waste of fish..

new topics

top topics

join