It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump University Settles Fraud Claims for $25 Million

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Go away money.

No guilt proven.

If he's not guilty, why did he pay $25 million?

Enough said.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Go away money.

No guilt proven.

Enough said.

The court did not find him guilty and now it is over. Another dead end for those wanting to take him down.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Settled for a small amount. It is a distraction. Personally, anyone who would attend "Trump University" is an idiot. They are even bigger idiots when they cry they make no money because of it. It is no different than classes you can take at a local hotel to learn how to flip houses. These people paid for it. They were not held at gunpoint for a credit card. They thought they could use a get rich quick scheme and it did not work. I mean, there are quite a few who took his teachings and did make money.

So, does this mean every kid who goes to a school and does not get a job can sue? That seems the precedent set.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Sometimes, in real criminal court, you can also please no contest which does not mean you are admitting guilt but it opens up other doors. You pay a fine or do a pre Trial intervention class and it is over. Paying for something and then not being in the court system.

He is a smart man....

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Go away money.

No guilt proven.

Enough said.

The court did not find him guilty and now it is over. Another dead end for those wanting to take him down.

Yeah. He's a regular freakin Robin Hood.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TommyD1966

Here's one of the cases Tommy:

The former students allege that Trump University failed to deliver on its promise to teach success in real estate through programs that cost up to $35,000, misleading them by calling it a university when it wasn’t an accredited school and by saying that Trump “hand-picked” instructors. Trump has strongly denied the claims.

fortune.com...

There are other cases:
time.com...

I will agree with you when people settle, that doesn't mean they are guilty. That being said, this doesn't mean these cases are without merit which many are implying, and are doing so without addressing why (because it's poor ol' Don). Settling, and by that much? $25 million? This isn't your run of the mill middle class lawsuit for $4000. We're talking about a massive case worth millions. This isn't merely 'go away' money. Far from it in my opinion. The evidence has piled up.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966
Likely no admission of any guilt, etc.

No admission of guilt to defrauding students, BUT this part is very curious and I wonder if they will make hay of it:

Schneiderman said that under the terms of the settlement, "every victim will receive restitution" and that Trump will pay up to $1 million in penalties to the state of New York "for violating state education laws."

Did Trump admit to violating NY state education laws? If so...that could be exploited in all kinds of ways.

He consented to pay a penalty for violating state laws. Sounds like he may have admitted to that much -- and that's more than a conviction...it's an admission.

I actually hope I am alone in feeling like this is very odd.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I did read up about the case. I think he would have won.

Using your logic right now. You're really convinced he would have won, so this means he had no reason to pay $25 million. You, an average joe like me. whom I'd assume doesn't have any legal expertise, hasn't looked into this case as much as many legal analysts have..... sitting behind a computer screen, could come to this conclusion. But somehow Trump, with all his millions and all his access to the finest lawyers in the land, could not figure out that he would have won?

Just think about that logic. Either Trump is a complete idiot and literally gave away $25 million despite all the lawyers he could have, or he was smart enough to know he wasn't going to win.

I am sure Trump doesn't mind paying out $25m.

By you logic Trump literally threw $25 million away because apparently you're certain he would have won.

Who doesn't mind wasting $25 million huh? He's a 'billionaire' right?

Jesus.

UK.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Go away money.

No guilt proven.

Enough said.

So does that mean Clinton is convicted of being guilty of rape since he settled?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I did read up about the case. I think he would have won.

Using your logic right now. You're really convinced he would have won, so this means he had no reason to pay $25 million. You, an average joe like me. whom I'd assume doesn't have any legal expertise, hasn't looked into this case as much as many legal analysts have..... sitting behind a computer screen, could come to this conclusion. But somehow Trump, with all his millions and all his access to the finest lawyers in the land, could not figure out that he would have won?

Just think about that logic. Either Trump is a complete idiot and literally gave away $25 million despite all the lawyers he could have, or he was smart enough to know he wasn't going to win.

I am sure Trump doesn't mind paying out $25m.

By you logic Trump literally threw $25 million away because apparently you're certain he would have won.

Jesus.

UK.

No, I already stated the obvious. He doesn't want this in the mix whilst preparing to be President of the USA.
It's not really that hard to follow.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Go away money.

No guilt proven.

Enough said.

So does that mean Clinton is convicted of being guilty of rape since he settled?

Very good point. I suspect that rule only applies to Trump though

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

No, I already stated the obvious. He doesn't want this in the mix whilst preparing to be President of the USA

So this is why he wasted $25 million in a case, as you so very clearly stated, he would have won.

Doesn't sound smart at all UK.

This is your logic right now.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Jesus.

UK.

Uh...California selects jury pools, in part, from voter registration lists.

Yep. I would have settled, too, for fear the pool was stacked with Democrats.

Also, a look at the *news* being pumped out in California totally explains why Trump might not have felt he could get an impartial jury. I read through the LA Times headlines, yesterday, concerning Trump. He did not want a California jury hearing this case.

A jury verdict and award were far more risky than just settling this.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

So he feared media bias? and the bias of the courts?

I can't really argue against this because you and UK personally believe this. You have no evidence of it, this is just your personal opinion at the end of the day and that's it. It's based on your own personal bias in favour of Trump.

If either of you have anything solid to have with regards to these cases being false let me know.

As UK claims, Trump paid out $25 million on what was clearly a winnable case. That to me screams stupid.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Oh more derailment. The Clintons and the rape accusation. Nothing do with the OP but we're desperate for anything that moves attention away from the Don.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

No, I already stated the obvious. He doesn't want this in the mix whilst preparing to be President of the USA

So this is why he wasted $25 million in a case, as you so very clearly stated, he would have won.

Doesn't sound smart at all UK.

This is your logic right now.

Trials are typically more expensive than settling... Settling proves nothing.. It sounds like he made a smart decision settling here, over a long dragged out trial that would have led to a "lose-lose" outcome regardless, either he loses and pays or wins the trial and loses from public blow back.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Oh more derailment. The Clintons and the rape accusation. Nothing do with the OP but we're desperate for anything that moves attention away from the Don.

Its not derailment, it just proves that the people you likely support (Clintons) have settled multiple cases over the years as well, but you seem to dismiss those, while attack Trump for settling here... Seems hypocritical
edit on 18-11-2016 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Op. ANyone who goes to university to learn how to make money in real estate is a moron to begin with.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

a reply to: TommyD1966

Here's one of the cases Tommy:

The former students allege that Trump University failed to deliver on its promise to teach success in real estate through programs that cost up to $35,000, misleading them by calling it a university when it wasn’t an accredited school and by saying that Trump “hand-picked” instructors. Trump has strongly denied the claims.

fortune.com...

There are other cases:
time.com...

I will agree with you when people settle, that doesn't mean they are guilty. That being said, this doesn't mean these cases are without merit which many are implying, and are doing so without addressing why (because it's poor ol' Don). Settling, and by that much? $25 million? This isn't your run of the mill middle class lawsuit for $4000. We're talking about a massive case worth millions. This isn't merely 'go away' money. Far from it in my opinion. The evidence has piled up.

Oh, I'm not saying the case wasn't without merit.

And yes, it is a lot of money. Well, for most of us that is. Not too sure about The Donald.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

a reply to: MotherMayEye

So he feared media bias? and the bias of the courts?

I can't really argue against this because you and UK personally believe this. You have no evidence of it, this is just your personal opinion at the end of the day and that's it. It's based on your own personal bias in favour of Trump.

Oh, I am sure that Trump's lawyers haven't reported to you all the variables they've weighed in litigating this matter. I am so sorry. I mean, how flipping rude.

But I have no doubt that fairness and impartiality played some role in the decision to settle.

If you can take yer head outta yer butt...you will see that I noted while Trump did not admit guilt in defrauding the students...there seems to be an admission of violating state education laws tied into this settlement:

Schneiderman said that under the terms of the settlement, "every victim will receive restitution" and that Trump will pay up to $1 million in penalties to the state of New York "for violating state education laws."

AND I WROTE: "Did Trump admit to violating NY state education laws? If so...that could be exploited in all kinds of ways.

He consented to pay a penalty for violating state laws. Sounds like he may have admitted to that much -- and that's more than a conviction...it's an admission."

I like being balanced and reasonable -- as much as I can be. But, please, continue with the head/butt thing.

P.S. I voted for Johsnon and, in no way, do I support Trump.
edit on 18-11-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join