It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump Movement Ban Wave on Twitter: Twitter Begins Purge Of Pro Trump Movement

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is free speech hate speech?

That's what we have to figure out.

And is harassment free speech?

Hmm.

You harass, I ban you. You spread hate speech, I ban you. This is my right. It's my business, my forum. Get your *** out of here.

But I do think defining these things can be tricky. We overdo it and we're no better than china--assuming China is that bad. Will we control thought someday too? Freedom of thought and speech is supposed to help us. We just have to figure out when it becomes a crime.

Pre-crime. That's another thing. Catching hate or harassment before it occurs is even more dangerous. Just how far will we go?
edit on 11/18/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

All someone has to do is bring out a new "twitter" application and the original can go the way of the dinosaurs ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle
True, but that doesn't deal with the issue at hand.

All someone has to do is bring out a new "twitter" application and the original can go the way of the dinosaurs ;-)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I feel the same way! While I am for free speech, to me (imho) whenever words about killing, murder, rape, are used, THEN it should be banned. Just posting anti-whatever talk should be considered free speech. At least this is how I think of it so far. a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

Banning any kind of speech is dangerous. I under stand that it is hurtful, but we have an option of not looking at it.

It can (and has) lead to books that were written 80 years ago being banned becasue of one word.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: carewemust

Nothing new under the sun.

Since I'm not a TWITTER user, it appalls me that Twitter allows people to post other people's personal contact info.

If I got ahold of an ATS member's name/address/phone, and any "dirt" on that person, and posted to this forum, wouldn't I be banned, and possibly reported to some agency, to be tracked down and arrested?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't think any agency is going to care. But I think you would be banned for it.

Since I'm not a TWITTER user, it appalls me that Twitter allows people to post other people's personal contact info.

If I got ahold of an ATS member's name/address/phone, and any "dirt" on that person, and posted to this forum, wouldn't I be banned, and possibly reported to some agency, to be tracked down and arrested?
a reply to: carewemust

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Freedom of the press is a right.

If a newspaper were to ban certain editorials, and that is kinda what twitter is, what would the results be. Newspapers are private enterprise not the same as twitter but for this talk, it is close.

Twitter is NOT news!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What do you consider news?

Twitter is NOT news!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Actual reporting of world events. People talking on social media is NOT that. Sure it falls under freedom of speech, but to call it news either shows that you have no clue what news is and isn't or that you have zero respect for news altogether.

Calling Twitter news is like saying that listening to the local gossips at the bar is also news. No it isn't its just rumor mill and discussion. That's it.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Reread the post, I was taking about editorials, like Twitter is.

Calling Twitter news is like saying that listening to the local gossips at the bar is also news. No it isn't its just rumor mill and discussion. That's it.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

True, but that doesn't deal with the issue at hand.

Sure it does, corporations are not democracies, they are dictatorships. One less dictatorship might be a good thing. Also something to remember, governments are also corporations that pretend to be democracies under the colour if law they created and let's not forget about the liberal amounts of propaganda that support their illusion.

Bad business should be replaced.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Reread the post, I was taking about editorials, like Twitter is.

I know exactly what you are talking about. There is no wiggle room here. Twitter in no way shape or form is news. To pretend it is just sets up a strawman argument.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I like your approach. If I were Twitter I would look out for law suits.

Sure it does, corporations are not democracies, they are dictatorships. One less dictatorship might be a good thing. Also something to remember, governments are also corporations that pretend to be democracies under the colour if law they created and let's not forget about the liberal amounts of propaganda that support their illusion. Bad business should be replaced. Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I like your approach. If I were Twitter I would look out for law suits.

And what exactly would they be sued over?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Hey Ante,

How many of those tweets that you posted were actually written by Milo Yiannopoulos?

And you know damn well that calls for violence on whites & police officers are not being addressed by the Twitter staff.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I wish I was an attorney, but I'm not.
I would imagine there would be some law about unfair practices as a corporation. If there is indeed censorship on one side, and not another, the company may be leaving themselves up to civil action.

And what exactly would they be sued over?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
DO you know what an editorial page in the newspaper is?

I know exactly what you are talking about. There is no wiggle room here. Twitter in no way shape or form is news. To pretend it is just sets up a strawman argument.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

It's ok, the sun will rise tomorrow, and people will tweet about corn flakes and coffee, nothing to see, nothing will change.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well if this it's true then it is only a matter of time before Twitter loses what little credibility it may still have.

It could end up the next Friendster or MySpace.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join