It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Trump...I worked hard to save Lincoln plant...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt

Perhaps you have taken a million or so dollars and turned them into a multi-billion dollar empire?

As he crushed the little guys in the process.

You know, the type that voted for him.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
So he did exactly what he tweeted did you read the article at all??? Instead of producing Lincoln in Mexico it will be done in Virginia plant meanin they wI'll be hiring more people to ramp up production. This piece attacked him under false pretense.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The real issue here is Ford has built plants in Mexico and now if Trump carries through with his policy plans which hit plants outside the US--particularly mexico?-- then they'll feel the pain and know it.

If Ford is producing a unpopular Lincoln model at a profit loss and was trying to move it to Mexico to cut costs and now they're forced to produced it here by Trump, they're now relying on Trump policies to save them. Trump is offering businesses like them savings if they keep jobs in the US, and it'll counteract losses, but it might be too late and too little.

So it's all about the future now. Many businesses have production overseas. They have to look at the new policies and they probably also have to find the money to build new plants in the US. This will hurt at first. I'm sure not all production will move to the US. Businesses will have to work with the Trump administration to produce results fair and economically feasible.

This all could easily not work. Trump likes to play high stakes.

EDIT: I read the plant in Mexico produces the same cars but wages are 80% less. Given taxes are also probably lower, it's hard to justify NOT building a plant there. How is Trump going to address this. And SHOULD he? If somebody works for less or works harder for the same pay, it's a sound business decision to hire them over someone who asks for more. And it's also logical for a business to produce where taxes are low. Money is the bottom line, right? This isn't something the Trump administration can do alone. This is international. Other people will do the job for less and other governments will tax you less. What're we to do, voluntarily punish those who will do a better job or work for less or ask less in return, by not hiring them or not doing business with them?

Subsidized employment. That's what this is folks. We're paying out of pocket to ensure a baseline of people acquire jobs domestically.
edit on 11/19/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Please provide the source you read/heard for Ford making the Lincoln in Virginia and hiring more people. I would be interested, as I have not run across that.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
a reply to: luthier

Correct!!

Ford will continue to make Escapes there. The MKC was 9% of their production there. The rest was the Escape.

Trumpa is trying to either be delusional, lie, or take credit for a business decision he did not make. What a schmuck.

Trump will now become a huge source of false news.

If the Lincoln left it would take jobs. That's common sense, that's the entire reason it was going to be moved in the first place, to save money.

The Lincoln staying in KY saved and created jobs. If you deny that you're a liar.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Perhaps you have taken a million or so dollars and turned them into a multi-billion dollar empire?

Suddenly you're a Trump expert?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 19-11-2016 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: xstealth

The Lincoln staying in KY saved and created jobs. If you deny that you're a liar.

So call Ford a liar

Ford said last year it planned to move MKC production to another plant so it could increase production of the Escape. The automaker said at the time no jobs would be lost in Louisville because of plans to boost Escape production.

source

Let's say you work for me making butter, and we tried to produce a different type of butter that ended up not being quite right for our market and was expensive to produce. I decide to stop making the different butter (which was only a small fraction of all our butter sold), but because the rest of the butter we produce was in such high demand and a moneymaker, I decide to boost our production of that butter. Just because I stopped making the different butter, you are still needed to make the increased amount of butter I need to sell. No jobs are lost, just because I decide to stop making the different butter.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert
a reply to: fractal5

Poppycock!! Moral relativism!! Confusion. Like: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

If you are going to accuse someone of a lie you have to give benefit of doubt, which means generously interpreting statements.

Haven't seen much of that in recent times. Seems to be fine if one is in charge of deciding what Truth is.
Moral relativism has nothing to do with the widely accepted fact that words have more than one definition. You've selectively put words in Trump's mouth by choosing which of the definitions he by your command must have meant. A person can be saved from more than just death, and factory can be saved from more than just death. You decided to shove in the context of death on your own... because of your own relative moral leanings (to use your terms). Meanwhile I give people the benefit of the doubt and say the context was not the complete end of the factory unless that is the context Trump used explicitly. Trump saved the factory from what? Apparently from losing one of the production lines unless you can show otherwise.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: fractal5

Ay yi yi. Ford wanted to "lose" an unprofitable line (a small fraction of production) in order to produce MORE of a profitable line. So Trump is happy that Ford is keeping a loss leader in Kentucky? Well, it's no loss to Trump's wallet, he's not producing a loss leader.

edit on 20-11-2016 by desert because: clarify

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

And if those escapes are produced in the US anyways then jobs are created in the US right?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You seem to be giving an example of why, in this post-truth era, we need to be more vigilant. Now at least two people believe in two falsehoods you wrote that (1) Ford would make Lincolns in Virginia and (2) there will be more jobs.

I am all for creating 21st cent jobs in America, and it would be nice if there is a national conversation about the possibilities for new and different manufacturing, but we seem to be stuck looking backward for solutions, and a soon-to-be-leader tweeting something that just is not true.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That I do not know. The new assumption you bring up is if, in keeping the MKC AND producing MORE Escapes, there will be more jobs needed. I do not know either way.

Here IS something Ford announces they will do

LOUISVILLE, Ky., Dec. 1, 2015 – Ford Motor Company, America’s truck leader, will create 2,000 new jobs and invest $1.3 billion in its Kentucky Truck Plant to support the launch of the all-new 2017 Ford F-Series Super Duty truck – the toughest, smartest, most capable Super Duty truck lineup ever.

Ford source

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

"Crushed" them how, exactly? By creating jobs in construction, the hospitality industry and numerous other fields? By respecting his employees, speaking personally with everyone employed on his construction sites, by handing out bonuses when people did quality work and brought projects in on time or before deadline?
Come back when you have something other than the standard authoritarian party talking points to add, please.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

"Crushed" them how, exactly?

Check back in 4 years.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I wrote no falsehoods, not sure what you are talking about. So far we can agree something was going to Mexico that now is not. So now we have either no change or a positive change.

As of right now Ford still needs to be held accountable to keep those Escapes in the US.

But Ford flat out said Trump has them feeling like they should keep more work in America. So far .. that's good news. I like your comment about waiting to see, which is what we need to do, and make sure we are not getting lip service.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I wrote no falsehoods, not sure what you are talking about.

That's true, you wrote no falsehoods. You wrote, "if those escapes are produced in the US anyways then jobs are created in the US right".

What Ford originally said they would do was take the MKC production out of Kentucky and move it to Mex, while AT THE SAME TIME increase Escape production. The same plant makes both. Use the former MKC workers at the plant to now make more Escapes. Now that Ford is keeping the MKC in Kentucky, the question is are they going to keep the Escape production as is or increase it. Will they need more Escape workers? I don't know.

we can agree something was going to Mexico that now is not.

Yes

So now we have either no change or a positive change.

Either no change.... as I said above, MKC and Escape production as before. Or positive change..... if you mean more jobs, can't tell because we don't know if they will increase Escape production, or are even able to do that with the MKC continued being made at the Kent plant. Remember, their idea was to remove MKC, increase Escape. The ONLY positive change would be if they keep mkc AND increase Escape production.... don't know.

As of right now Ford still needs to be held accountable to keep those Escapes in the US.

Ford made no mention at the moment of moving Escape production. When UAW contract is up, then what will Ford do? I have no clue.

Ford flat out said Trump has them feeling like they should keep more work in America. So far .. that's good news.

Good news for Trump, but Ford now has to continue to make their loss leader here. Honestly, I don't know exactly how much profit they were making on the MKC. Bottom line, they were willing to gamble on seeming to be conciliatory to a POTUS, because they know they will have to negotiate, work with any results of Trump's enacted economic proposals that affect them.

I like your comment about waiting to see, which is what we need to do, and make sure we are not getting lip service.

As we should with any leader, question. "Why?", "How?", "What exactly did you mean?", things like that, otherwise if we don't question, than they know they can pay lip service or try to get away with something.

There is another thread dealing with candidate Trump versus Pres-Elect Trump, where I have expressed my viewpoint and reasons. Bottom line, I am willing to give him his first 100 days (like a business "grace period"), but that doesn't mean we must stay silent when we read a tweet that makes no sense or have no reaction. Our leaders must hear our voice. In America, that goes with the job of being POTUS.
edit on 20-11-2016 by desert because: clarify

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   

"Crushed" them how, exactly?

Check back in 4 years.

So that is the latest talking point by folks set to keep the nation divided and fighting? It's pretty weak---to throw out accusations then when asked who he "crushed" your only response is that? You'll forgive me if henceforth I ignore the standard talking points of the dividers like you.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Because I grew up (1950-60s) at a time of the great US automakers, when everyone was encouraged to replace the family car every year (buy the latest model!), I am familiar with the auto industry from the viewpoint of a consumer (my family originally is from Detroit, too). I remember the "Automotive Section" of my newspaper, where they wrote of industry news. And it seemed like cars were daily on the news in some way, either company or UAW union news. American auto industry history is a fascinating story.

I got to thinking that people nowadays don't get the same auto industry news that was common knowledge back then. The particular point I want to say here is that the car platform for both the MKC and Escape is the same. That's why they were built at the same plant.

While the MKC will be a bit wider than the Escape, both vehicles will be built on Ford's C Platform, the type of production line currently installed at LAP [Louisville Assembly Plant], Visnic said.

source

For a wild ride, here's a list of Ford platforms

Something else that is a fun aside (to anyone who hasn't yet quit reading lol), auto plants often "shut down".

Too busy for a shutdown Strong sales are killing a Detroit 3 summer ritual

General Motors Will Temporarily Shut Down 4 Plants In North America: Why?

The reason behind the idling of the facilities is a shortage of parts, due to the earthquakes [this year--2016] that have recently struck Japan.

Global platforms, global suppliers.... it's a lot different than when I was a kid, way different

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I really do not know what you are arguing. You just said everything I said. It's too early to tell if this is a long term win for Trump. It's promising, but that promise needs to be kept.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join