It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The snowflake phenominon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think the snowflake generation is a lot like the baby boomer generation- raised to think they are the center of the universe. Fortunately the way kids are raised goes in cycles!

Sal

a reply to: Plotus

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

I'd like to contribute, but after reading your OP three times, I've realized that it covers several issues that are indeed very puzzling.

I'm still trying to think it through. Just yesterday I was contemplating the snow flake phenomenon and asking myself, what is the root cause of this. And you're quite correct, its nationwide. The fact that it is nationwide makes me think that social media is playing a role in this. But there's something going on at a deeper level..........a psychological level. In thinking about this it occurred to me that back in the day, these people would have been called neurotics. I've got to look up the meaning of neurosis and its causes and how it manifests itself. Then at the same time, it appears these people exhibit traits that are intensely and myopically narcissistic. I read up on that last week to better understand it and what I remember is that only children of wealthy parents tend to be narcissistic. But we're talking about an entire generation of people who aren't just only children of wealthy parents.

There's something very wrong with this but I've yet to ferret out the root causes.
Thanks

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   
"You could navigate your entire academic career and NEVER have a conservative teacher".
- Ben Shapiro

That's a problem. There needs to be a balance and an accountability of whatis being taught to our children.
I watched a news story yesterday about 3rd graders who wrote to president-elect Trump stating, "please like Mexicans....... please don't start a war.....",etc.

These are third graders... Who is filling their little minds with this sh#!!?? Parents? Sure. However, the left learned long ago that you change a nation through its children, as adults are already set in their thinking. Couple left propaganda and the unending mass drugging of our children's minds and you see what we have now....the sjw snowflake epidemic.

This is a single, generational phenomenon that needs to be studied to find correlating factors for this type of mental instability before it ruins the next generation. Can you imagine what butt hurt liberal teachers are telling their students NOW!!???

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I'm seeing a bunch of replies saying 'we did this to ourselves' kind of answers. And while I do not disagree so much there is one very VERY big thing that I think has been overlooked in other replies here.
Capitalism.
One of the prime directives of capitalism is turning people into consumers. This basically means emphasizing materialism.
The WWII generation were basically children of the Great Depression. Those children were raised in a society of scarcity and hardship. Then they went to war with a lot more of the same.
When that war was over, the entire industrial capacity of the whole world lay in ruin. Except for the USA. For those victorious warriors it was onward and up ward. Everybody got married and had kids. Everybody had a job and most could begin to give things to their children, things that they had not been able to have as children themselves.

The Boomer Generation was the first to really reap the rewards, or spoils, of this trend. But their parents were still children of the depression and war hence were still fairly 'spartan' in their approach to materialism. Much of the values of the older generation were instilled into Boomers and the capitalist system found them not quite the 'consumers' that it wished them to be.

As the prosperity of the 50s increased do to the churning out of 'product' by the industrial and manufacturing base, household incomes increased but not to the level that the ability to produce would have liked. So even though many boomers did not become complete consumers like the capitalist system needed, they were not so set against, their children having things that they had not, just like their parents had felt about them.

So the capitalist industries turn their sights to children They had found that boomer parents were much more liable to spend 'excess cash' on their children where they would not spend it on themselves.

So, the media industry began to target children in TV and radio commercials rather than their parents. Childrens' shows that to a fair degree promoted childish behavior, well past the age appropriateness of it. All of those programs would not have been allowed to broadcast if they did not 'return' a respectable profit through revenue on sales of advertised product did not get on the air.

Moving forward in time we have seen the 'general' trend of displaying 'adult's with childish attributes. Watch TV any night and those commercials show child-like adults one after another because it is the childishness in the general population that was not only helped to be brought about by capitalism but is now promoted day in and day out with it's incessant beat of 'youth' culture engulfed in consumer materialism.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

These are third graders... Who is filling their little minds with this sh#!!?? Parents? Sure. However, the left learned long ago that you change a nation through its children, as adults are already set in their thinking. Couple left propaganda and the unending mass drugging of our children's minds and you see what we have now....the sjw snowflake epidemic.

If only it were that simple. You say the left did this. I say, well, ok, to a degree. But to say that 'the left' learned long ago that you change a nation through it's children is almost myopic. It is not just left propaganda but ALL propaganda. Can anyone deny the propaganda churned out on a weekly basis by right wing churches? Propagandizing children into 'right' leaning religious mind-sets that oppose any kind of change at all? Mind-sets that deny sciences and historical realities?

The 'left' holds' no exclusive patent on propagandizing children.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I read a Peggy Noonan editorial today and she recounts that she's encountered on multiple occasions where parents tell her that their kids began bawling in fear of Trump the day after the election. That's just weird to me. I mean, really, why are the little ones being so politicized? Is it the schools? If so, since when did politics belong in elementary school? That's ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

They do in the public schools systems! That's for sure. And its disgusting. Politics has no place in elementary school; its bad enough the teachers indoctrinate in the high schools. And all of this indoctrination at tax payers expense!

Trump may have won this election but this country, this society is broken beyond any hope of repair.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

How about reinstating the word *NO* into the vocabulary?

I don't hear it being used nearly often enough.

This idea that one should do their own thing regardless of anyone else

Me ... Me ...Me ... Me ... I am entitled

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is a snowflake

The use of the term to describe people is just childish - like something kindergarten kids would throw out at each other.

Its funny because the term is being used by people who claim to want to end BS and be "straight talkers" and then come up with some made up crappy term for people they don't agree with.

So lets talk about what it really is.

There are some people who simply don't live in the real world. They come from both sides of the political divide and are just as bad as each other. They invent outrage and offence and then try and promote their agenda from it.

It doesn't just come from the left, it comes from the right as well. For every "Trump is a facist" there has been an "Obama is a muslim selling the US down the river". For every gun control lobbyist there is a gun nut who thinks the government iss coming for their weapon. For every complaint about immigration there are people with immigrant backgrounds.

In other words, both sides are guilty of fake outrage. We used to just call it bull#.

How can I say this?

Well, I've been on ATS for 10 years now and I have this thing that most politically expedient people don't have, which is a memory (and a search facility!), and I've seen crap from both sides of the divide.

So please, don't make out its a unique, and new phenomenon. It isn't.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yup. I've encountered so many adults who are "having a hard time coping" with this election, they are so disturbed. Did this happen when Obama was elected? Did the 'right half' of the population seek counseling because they 'felt bad'? This is so weird. And it's not confined to any certain age group. Seventy year old libs are doing the same thing as 20 year olds. It's like everyone has been given permission t act in an infantile fashion.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

If only it were that simple. You say the left did this. I say, well, ok, to a degree. But to say that 'the left' learned long ago that you change a nation through it's children is almost myopic. It is not just left propaganda but ALL propaganda. Can anyone deny the propaganda churned out on a weekly basis by right wing churches? Propagandizing children into 'right' leaning religious mind-sets that oppose any kind of change at all? Mind-sets that deny sciences and historical realities?

So essentially, you're discounting religious beliefs. That's your bias, and your entitled to it. I'm not very religious myself, however there is more morality and ethics in religion vs. science.

You may be hard pressed to find any fundamental Christians amongst the SJW/Snowflake community.
How could there be considering their actions? To them, minus their esoteric beliefs and ideas, religion is out dated, archaic and fundamentally flawed. Whereas religion provides a moral base code, what does liberalism provide? Certainly not tolerance or humility.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I say mind your own business!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

They do in the public schools systems! That's for sure. And its disgusting. Politics has no place in elementary school; its bad enough the teachers indoctrinate in the high schools. And all of this indoctrination at tax payers expense!

Trump may have won this election but this country, this society is broken beyond any hope of repair.

OK. I do not disagree that there certainly is an appearance of what many call left wing propaganda in our school systems. Yet cannot this also be said for 'right-wing' also? In my day we all stood up in unison, placed our hands over our hearst, in unison, and then pledged allegiance to the flag, in unison and then sat back down, in unison. Regimentation to indoctrinate the youth into the 'patriotic fold' of Americanism. Buzzers sounded to tell us when to sit down and sounded again to tell us when to stand up. All to prepare us to take our places in the capitalist industries that were making America the sole economic power in the world.

However I do not disagree with the notion that the school systems are training young people today in a decidedly globalization direction. And indeed this training is attempting to train children away from aggressive behavior. And it would be myopic to suppose that in all of this training that much of it is being done wrong, that there are coming about adverse qualities that were not accounted for as these agendas were taking over the school systems.

Yet I still have to wonder at the thought that all of this can be blamed on the 'left'. Is it not a general definition of the 'left' that the farther we go to the left' the more anti-capitalist we become? Is saying that our children are being trained to be anti-capitalist comies? I think not. that makes no sense.

I think that now, many combine 'the left' with globalization, which again, to a degree may be true. But this onesided vision of what is happening is only that, one sided. Do we think that globalization means some huge world of communism, that fear of the left would logically assume? No.

The spur towards globalization is simple.
One is the natural trend in that direction that is tens of thousands of years old.
The other is just who is pushing globalization. The left and it's trend towards Communism? I say bolox.
The spur towards globalization is run, directed and completely influenced by the worlds economic interests, and that simply is capitalism. Capitalism that is the antithesis of the real left. But who is it that completely embraces Capitalism?
THE RIGHT.

So rather than blaming everything on the LEFT, which is exactly what the Capitalist wants us to do, we might do ourselves a favor and look a lot more closely at the right and it's hallowed economic system to find the real root of our children's propagandized lives.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

It is very simple. All of these people view the government as their daddy. They feel a threat of Dad moving away and that would lead to personal responsibilty requirements.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

So essentially, you're discounting religious beliefs. That's your bias, and your entitled to it. I'm not very religious myself, however there is more morality and ethics in religion vs. science.

You may be hard pressed to find any fundamental Christians amongst the SJW/Snowflake community.
How could there be considering their actions? To them, minus their esoteric beliefs and ideas, religion is out dated, archaic and fundamentally flawed. Whereas religion provides a moral base code, what does liberalism provide? Certainly not tolerance or humility.

You confuse me here ES. You say that religion is out dated, archaic and fundamentally flawed. But then you turn right around and laud it's 'moral base code'. I do not suspect that you propose maintaining a 21st century civilization on a fundamentally flawed belief system.

I also think that we disagree on the term liberalism. While it is popular to use 'liberalism' as the catchall for all that is wrong with America, I find that tendency to be very limited.

My perspective? We lived in societies for thousands of year with only small amounts of change. Baring conflicts and catastrophes, the need to change or develop was very slow, taking place, not over years or even decades but centuries.

Liberalism came about as a result understanding the need to change in light of scientific progress. As sciences changed the way we viewed an manipulated our surroundings, change began to happen at increasingly rapid rates. Conservatism was the backlash to keep everything the same. Ask Galileo. It was not liberals who executed him but rather conservatives.

Liberalism was an attempt to hold onto the reigns of these changes by educating people about what was going on around them. Liberalism has it's roots deep within certain aspects of biblical morals. From this foundation in biblical morals, has sprung "Humanism' which is much like those moral codes just minus God.

But even with all of that as my perspective, I do have to agree that today's liberalism has gone overboard, yet to place all the blame on it alone for our troubles does none of us any good.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think this phenomena will only get worse, Oxford the official gatekeeper of the definitive record of the English language should also publish annually a list of forbiden words or non-pc list of words to supplement the new words added to the English dictionary to balance it.

What else can we do about it? Maybe our option to agree not to agree will become passé and every public discussion will always be an either/or stance? If we ever chose to join a discussion, we have to do it in a calm way, if not it may be better for us to keep our thoughts to ourselves if we happen to choose the unpopular side, even the popular side. Does every hot topic for public discourse boil down to which side is popular or the noisiest?

Just a few days ago Phil Jackson, the current President of Basketball Operations of the NY Knicks used the word "posse" in a Doris Burke interview and got a lot of flack for it from the NBA coaches, the sports talkingheads, reporters, bloggers and commenters. Granting Phil's unfortunate choice of word, Phil got a lot of flack from using the word not the context of how he use the word.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Why does it bother you so much?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The wheat and the tares grow together, always have. All things are new once saved and healed from the curse. Wade in the River with the rest of us and you won't have a problem with this.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen

Why does it bother you so much?

Why does it bother them so much? Because it should. No child or adult should behave like they have been. I can't comprehend how some people can condone such irrational and inexcusable behavior.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
In my eyes, it is very easily explained. The developed world, by and large is still operating in the 1970's mentality - the "Archie Bunker" era, if you will.

-Might makes right.
-Fear your enemy.
-Stifle your emotions.
-Pull up your bootstraps.
-Economic stagnancy.

Many people however, have mentally evolved beyond that mindset, as tends to happen with time passing;
but the old guard is still running the show.

The very souls of people are shrieking that "Life should be about more than this!!" (Rightfully so IMO)
They live in a world with faster than ever communication and are frustrated that even THAT has not changed a deeply entrenched dynamic in society.

In other words, brains have evolved faster than the societal mindset and control system that surrounds them.

Meanwhile, those that are annoyed, though on some level do see the changes coming are indignant -
"How dare they expect more when they did not pay the dues that I have paid?"

After all of these decades, it seems unfathomable that
-War is never-ending
-Racism is still a thing
-Inequality still exists and
-Economic disparity has not been bridged.

While people in the early part of the century might have been content for life to unfold at a leisurely pace (though fast for them I expect),

This is no longer that world.

People KNOW they were meant for more, and are not content to watch their very lives pass them by whilst waiting for the rest to catch up and evolve.

This is why you are seeing the angst, and the frantic outcries...things are in flux but in the end balance will be reached by all.

Find the middle path and riding the changes will be much easier, for those whom are distraught.
After all, the only constant IS change.

"With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."

edit on 19-11-2016 by MoonBlossom because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join