It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Obama telling the people to keep protesting. WTF?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
How much influence it has depends on the demographic. So, for instance, MSM will likely have more sway on my parents, whereas social media on my youngest brother...

But here is the logical inconsistency with that. The current narrative is that Trump's win is the consequence of fraudulent information posted on the web and social media.

I think we can agree that young people were not the demographic which elected him. So I was merely highlighting what I believe to be an inaccurate assumption on your part.

Either fraudulent information on the web and social media elected Trump, which therefore must have read by older people, or the original premise that fake news swung the election is wrong.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Now we have a movement by the Internet Conglomerates to DECIDE what is news and fake news. How much more Orwellian can we get?

Well said!!!

Didn't one of the founding fathers say something about the press.......

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1787.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
The Tea Party protested Obama for years. They even marched on Washington. Don't remember you crying about it then...

The tea parties weren't violent, they cleaned up after themselves, and the media demonize them endlessly.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kurthall
Still trying to blame bush lol. Classic. At least everytime trump screws up, he can just blame obama, precedent and tone has been set for that.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
Cry me a river.
All of you were screaming and crying when trump was saying the election
was rigged. People like you and those on BreitBart - GLP - Stormfront
were all insisting that if Hillary won they would take to the streets and
start a bloody revolution.

www.nydailynews.com...

I don't want to hear this false outrage and holier than thou rhetoric you all seems to have now.
You sensitive snowflakes are all about being anti-pc - and what could be more anti-pc than protesting??
had Hillary won i'm willing to be bet the violence would have been exponentially worse.

Listen to Obama and the media fear-mongering for months about what Trump supporters would do if he lost the election?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Okay I get the hangup. I concede to your point now that I understand this is being confined to that current narrative. I meant my posts to be very general. Which I thought I had conveyed. *it's also how I read that Obama quote* If it's more appropriate for me to have been working within that narrative then my bad.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The worst leader I have ever seen.

I still has 2 months to go. Just watch what he does between now and Jan 20th.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Fair enough.

In general, I think this whole discussion about fake news is dangerous to our future.

Who decides? How would we be protected from abuses of the 'deciders'?

The best defense against misinformation is to instill a healthy sense of skepticism and a personal responsibility to think for one's self in our culture. It ain't perfect, but much better than the proposed alternatives.

edit on 18-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

So he wants us to stop listening to social media

I didn't interpret it that way.

To my eyes he's addressing the concern that the prevalence of misinformation on social media, and the frequency it's accepted without fact-checking, is a real concern. Which I completely agree with. This has less to do with social media, and more to do with the critical thinking of our voters.

Here is the full quote:

"If we are not serious about the facts and what's true and what's not, particularly in the social media era when so many get information from sound bites and snippets off their phone, if we can't discriminate between serious arguments and propaganda, then we have problems," he said.

It's about denying ignorance.

The last sentence is exactly what happened this election. The libs where completely destroyed. Obama is personally responsible for decimating the Democrats. People finally stopped listening to the propaganda and voted them out. I hope it takes 30 years before we see another Progressive in the White House.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: nomadone407

It still has 2 months to go. Just watch what he does between now and Jan 20th.

That's what I was thinking! President Obama might be employing a "scorched-earth" retreat from Washington. He could pardon a ton of prisoners, in addition to stoking protests.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

The best defense against misinformation is to instill a healthy sense of skepticism and a personal responsibility to think for one's self in our culture. It ain't perfect

Actually I think that is perfect. Or at least, the best approach. This is what I was alluding to in my initial post when I had said "it's less about social media, and more about critical thinking".

but much better than the proposed alternatives.

I've missed something it seems. What were the proposed alternatives?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I've missed something it seems. What were the proposed alternatives?

The apparent call by many to censor what is available to read, see or hear.
edit on 18-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Gonna be interesting soon, these leftist brain thinking weirdos who have multiple scenarios regarding good or bad that always conflict, and the hate they are steaming from the inside, the hate that is being directed in bizarre directions most often against the very people who are actually allies ,

Are soon going to find out what happens when you constantly piss off those who have been putting up with their garbage.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Obama is a sad excuse for a POTUS.

Were talking about a President who refused to introduce some kind of action to prevent people who weren't even American citizens from flying in during a international Ebola outbreak.

His job was to protect American citizens lives, who have papers stating that they were born here. Not to worry about hurting Africans feelings.

If anyone had died, it would have been negligent homicide, as well as any party of Congress that had party to shut incoming non-US citizens.

Of course he is going to tell them to march on.

And strangely enough this former Coast Guard rescue swimmer voted for Obama twice.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Miracula2 because: added voting for Obama

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

That's the right on man. You said it all.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Fair enough.

In general, I think this whole discussion about fake news is dangerous to our future.

Who decides? How would we be protected from abuses of the 'deciders'?

The best defense against misinformation is to instill a healthy sense of skepticism and a personal responsibility to think for one's self in our culture. It ain't perfect, but much better than the proposed alternatives.

I think the solution may be simpler. Simply rescind the decision that allowed CNN and other networks to operate as entertainment instead of news. If it has the pretense of news, it should be regulated like news.

Before that court decision, I worked at a radio station that was fined because they ran a promo bumper claiming "here are the stories we're working on now" when in reality, those stories were already recorded.

If that was a fine in the 1980s, the landscape has certainly changed for the worse.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

When was America great?

Before the Baby Boomers became free love drug hippies.

The Baby boomers went in the right direction. Things were too strict before their generation. Abortion was evil. But they had more morals I think. Our entertainment media was more regulated by the FCC which promoted more responsibility. Things like 4-H and Community participation at all levels and age groups was more important.

There was more national pride and community pride before the Age of Aquarius movement.

I suspect that in addition to a power grab that this is what the ISIS movement is about. Valuing old ideals and morals. They want the antiquated system of honor rather than gravitating towards chaos.
edit on 18-11-2016 by Miracula2 because: added what I suspect ISIS is fighting for

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
This sad excuse for a leader will continue to try and divide us until his last day!

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
wow, i think obama is a great guy and trump is an idiot, but this is kinda lame. especially after trump talked so good about him after their meeting

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Obama telling the people to keep protesting.

Good. They should protest. They should start fires. We shouldn't stand idly by while fascism creeps in and we shouldn't wait for human rights abuses to happen before we protest.

We shouldn't people suggest registering Muslim's just like we shouldn't let people suggest we register gun owners in any federal database.

None of what Trump has said or suggested on the campaign trail is OK and none of it should be condoned. Keep protesting, don't stop. To Hell with Hillary Clinton she can go rot but Donald Trump's suggested policies should never, ever, ever be enacted.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join