It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Universities Also Risk Federal Funding Cuts Over 'Sanctuary City' Policies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

A former high-ranking federal immigration official told BuzzFeed News there’s no legal reason why schools can’t refuse to cooperate with US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), however, just as with sanctuary cities, Trump’s administration could restrict the flow of millions in federal funds.

“That could be incredibly painful to universities who receive large grants,” said John Sandweg, former acting director of ICE and previous acting general counsel of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
LINK

Just as there's been talk of sanctuary cities raising taxes to make up for a potential loss of federal funds...

We all know that universities will see a large increase in tuition if they lose federal funding that they depend on.

This is going to be a great test for liberals. If they really support illegal immigration, they can vote with their wallets. They can move to sanctuary cities and pay higher taxes to support illegal aliens. They can pay higher tuition to support illegal aliens.

The incredible thing is...some liberals will actually proudly do it.
edit on 17-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Good news! GOP is officially not for small government anymore and they are wiling going to war on education! haha

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Meh....they stopped being institutions for learning long ago anyways.....they are no longer about education and more about indoctrination.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Well I think we need to reform the immigration policy so that enough people can get in legally to do the work that is needed in the U.S. - they send the money back to their families in Mexico or even further south, so it helps them out, too. I'm not a nationalist, so I do care that other people have the opportunities to help themselves and their families (even though they are not U.S. citizens) while providing labor for the U.S. The immigration law as it stands now must not work, or all of these illegal immigrants would have come in legally.

The sanctuary cities and sanctuary universities (which I've never heard of until now) are simply a vehicle for the natural immigrants to enter the country, many immigrants that would have been here legally if there were ways to do so. A lot of governments like Mexico's are so corrupt that it is hard to get a visa to enter the U.S. without a large bribe.
edit on 18amFri, 18 Nov 2016 00:08:36 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
Good news! GOP is officially not for small government anymore and they are wiling going to war on education! haha

Really? Now it's official?

Since when has the GOP stood for smaller government in modern times?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

They are targeting funding to Universities to get back at "sanctuary" cites. The biggest thing about sanctuary cites is so police can actually work with the community. If people are worried about deportation or getting someone else deported they maybe unlikely to talk to police. It is a similar to how the drug wars have hurt communities.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I like your style of comedy

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   

The immigration law as it stands now must not work, or all of these illegal immigrants would have come in legally.

Logical fallacy. Please try again

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

“That could be incredibly painful to universities who receive large grants,” 

Money.. we need more money.

Are these grants contingent upon flouting the law and teaching students that border security is racist?
edit on 18-11-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   

They are targeting funding to Universities to get back at "sanctuary" cites. The biggest thing about sanctuary cites is so police can actually work with the community. If people are worried about deportation or getting someone else deported they maybe unlikely to talk to police. It is a similar to how the drug wars have hurt communities.

the "community" may want the illegals out.
you're the only opinion that's out there

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I think if I was calling the shots.... I would do something like......offer to increase assistance by $500 a month to citizens..... after we have laws in place that make it crime for anyone who is in the country illegally to use any publicly funded services.... I think the response would be... $500!!!! Hilary who!!!?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Well I think we need to reform the immigration policy so that enough people can get in legally to do the work that is needed in the U.S. - they send the money back to their families in Mexico or even further south, so it helps them out, too. I'm not a nationalist, so I do care that other people have the opportunities to help themselves and their families (even though they are not U.S. citizens) while providing labor for the U.S. The immigration law as it stands now must not work, or all of these illegal immigrants would have come in legally.

Our immigration policy already has provisions for and provides work visas to millions. The requirements to get a temporary work visa are far less stringent and the process to get one is much quicker.

The problem stems from the fact that many of these people simply overstay their visa limits even though with extensions these visas are valid for years.

The other problem is that many people who are here illegally simply entered illegally from the jump. They never applied for *any* kind of legal status, or they did and were denied for some reason. Those are the people that should be deported first in my opinion as entering illegally is a criminal act whereas illegal "presence" i.e. overstayed their visa - is adjudicated in civil court. Also, at least those people started on the right path.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The Progressives and ultra Left will soon learn more they ever thought possible.

Economics.101 and Law.101

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

This seems like removing government from the gravy train. Sounds like smaller government to me.

top topics

join