It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanctuary city mayors prepare for clash with Trump administration

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Looks like there is going to be a show down over deportations that are in Trumps plans for the POTUS.

Rahm Emanuel told illegals that they are safe and Chicago will always be sanctuary city. He joined other leaders of cities that also say they are staying sanctuary cities.

To all those who are, after Tuesday’s election, very nervous and filled with anxiety as we’ve spoken to, you are safe in Chicago, you are secure in Chicago and you are supported in Chicago,” Mayor Rahm Emanuel said during a press conference. “Chicago will always be a sanctuary city.”

Emanuel joined officials in New York; Seattle; Boston; San Francisco; Los Angeles; Oakland, Calif.; Providence, R.I.; Santa Fe, N.M.; Denver; and Washington, D.C., in saying they will maintain their sanctuary status.

Bill De Blasio said the they will not turn their back on 500,000 people and they will do every thing they can to resist.

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said last week he would go so far as to destroy a database of undocumented immigrants with city identification cards before handing it over to the Trump administration.

“We are not going to sacrifice a half-million people who live amongst us,” de Blasio said. “We will do everything we know how to do to resist that.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck called Trumps deportation plan is misguided and impracticable. He thinks the immigration reform would damage the relationship with the community.

But Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck calls Trump’s plan to deport illegal immigrants misguided and impractical.

“I need them to work with their local police stations, I need them to be witnesses to violent crime,” Beck said. “For a local law enforcement agency to take on [the] role of immigration enforcement tears that fabric apart.”

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I bet the biggest reason they will not become immigration enforcers is the cost. It would cost a fortune to round up and detain half a million people then fork out money on top of that to deport them.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi
Is that going to be more or less than the cost of losing Federal funding though? Revocation of Federal funding is supposed to be the mechanism to compel these "sanctuary" cities to follow the law of the land.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Thats a lot of votes the dems won't have in the future.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

Trump doesn't have the authority to revoke federal funding. He is a president not an emperor.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is it just me or the same people that PRAISED
and CELEBRATED states/cities that went against Obama
are the same people that are now calling
those states/cities traitors for going against Trump?
So whats the difference - guys - really?
Obamas inexperience = HE WILL LEAD US TO DOOM
Trumps NO experience = WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

edit on 17-11-2016 by MagicCow because: missing word..the bird is the word.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Who says Trump alone would be taking the action? Republicans have control of Congress, and if they want to keep their jobs in 2018 they should go along with his agenda.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I Googled some history.

Seems as early as last year, the leftists were laughing at everyone saying that "There were no sanctuary cities", that it was a myth!

And now we have multiple cities openly claiming to be Sanctuary Cities.

I imagine some members here, who are now arguing for sanctuary cities, were of the opinion that they didn't exist either.

Funny.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135

Who says Trump alone would be taking the action? Republicans have control of Congress, and if they want to keep their jobs in 2018 they should go along with his agenda.

Do you know that if congress and the president somehow managed to cut all federal funding from Chicago then the residents of that state including the businesses would have legal precedent to not pay any federal taxes. It would put them in a very powerful position to where they could self-govern without any interference from federal goverment.

Do you think Trump and palls are stupid enough to do that?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I live in Illinois, and a lot of money from where I live in the so-called "Down State" (the 'not Chicago' areas of the state) is sucked up north to Chicago already. I worry it could only get worse if federal money was somehow shut off to 'sanctuary Chicago', because Chicago in many ways rules over the rest of us in Illinois. They could find a way to make up part of the difference on us.

But, it would be a comfort that at least my federal taxes, which I currently pay a lot more of than the state taxes, would be used for a better purpose than Chicago and other sanctuary cities. I don't like my federal taxes going to support cities anyway. Wtf?

Please explain though - how could this become a precedent to help me avoid federal taxes? I need to know
If there would be any legal way out of paying federal taxes, I would love to do that!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I bet the biggest reason they will not become immigration enforcers is the cost. It would cost a fortune to round up and detain half a million people then fork out money on top of that to deport them.

Stop the jobs and freebies and they will self deport.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This situation makes a total mockery of people that do apply for visas the correct way, why bother with forms then bank accounts to prove funding and then education and exam passes, not to mention being in a work field that requires expertise, then have a medical to make sure you are not a health risk oh and criminal back ground check to prove you are not a felon...

Just enter illegally and get a golden handshake in major City,

Absurd, dangerous and down right wrong...

RA

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Stop the jobs and freebies and they will self deport.

Bingo! Or, try crime to get by which will ultimately get them on the fast track home.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

It was in an article I read months ago on the matter. I don't really understand the how it would be legaly done I only know the standard exists.

You said you are in iIllinois

Champaign County
Chicago
Cook County
Des Plaines
Hanover Park
Hoffman Estates
Northbrook
Palatine

Those are all considered sanctuary areas so you may get your wish. There are 300 cities across the country Trump has targeted.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

OMG. Thank you for that list ... I had no idea. That is a lot more in Illinois than 'just' Chicago.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Do you know that if congress and the president somehow managed to cut all federal funding from Chicago then the residents of that state including the businesses would have legal precedent to not pay any federal taxes. It would put them in a very powerful position to where they could self-govern without any interference from federal goverment.

BS. Sanctuary cities are breaking Federal laws. Same with pot smoking cities. Pot is still illegal. We have a President now that refuses to enforce the law of the land.

We are getting one that will enforce it. You watch, these illegal alien harboring cities are going to find out who runs the show in a couple of years. They always beat their chest until pressure is applied then they shut their mouths and comply. It always happens like this! Always.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Breaking the laws...no, not really.

They are not enforcing some laws that is true, but that isn't breaking the law.

When a cop doesn't pull over every car on the road that is speeding he isn't breaking the law. If he lets someone off with a warning instead of a ticket or jail he isn't breaking the law. The cities are not dedicating their personnel to round up immigrants, but they are not breaking the law.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

There is no way to avoid federal tax.

Sanctuary City status has nothing to do with federal individual and business taxes.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Chicago self governing?

They wouldn't last a year.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

It depends. If they had the freedom to allocate funds, tax as they see fit they could come out pretty well if done right. They would essentially be a country within a state.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join