It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crisis hotlines see spike in calls post-election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- After months of campaigns, ads and rhetoric, the race for the White House ended with a new president-elect who not many anticipated.

No matter your political affiliation, the fallout has had an impact on most everyone, leading some to anguish, depression, or even worse. Crisis hotline operators are seeing a surge in calls like never before, up two to three times, according to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

The same is happening in West Michigan, with people calling crisis hotlines expressing fears about what the future holds.

Experts fielding these calls tell me this is not the first time they've seen this kind of spike. Significant events "can overwhelm an individual’s ability to cope," said Scott Gilman, executive director of Network 180, Kent County's crisis hotline. "We have definitely seen an increase in calls, definitely since the election."

fox17online.com...

I don't know what to add except I think this is silly. People calling for everything from being afraid they will not get their meds, afraid of deportation, all the way up to suicide calls. It is amazing how weak and mis-wired a large segment of the population is.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

afraid of deportation, all the way up to suicide calls

Hello, Crisis Line...

Si, am i gonna get deported?

Don't know, but we now know you are an illegal and have your contact info...

Oh Dios mío

As for the suicide calls, that's cool - Darwinism will prevail.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Crisis hotlines aren't tasked with law enforcement and wouldn't turn an illegal immigrant in for admitting to being an illegal. For one it would undermine public trust in them since people struggling or in a crisis may not always be on the right side of the law by the time they call the crisis hotline. And for two, they aren't required by law to do so nor are authorized to do so.
edit on 17-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Prove it.

What if a serial killer calls in and says he is afradi of being caught and gives details about his victims and where they are buried.

You really think they woukd not alert authorities or are legally bound not to do so?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Haha

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

and as long as you get stars, you will keep making comments like these because its cool to make fun of people in life threatening mental distress...

#therealAmerica

i hope Trump does have a sensible plan to relocate and help transition those who came here, albeit illegally, but were law abiding citizens trying to keep their families and children afloat.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

and as long as you get stars, you will keep making comments like these because its cool to make fun of people in life threatening mental distress...

#therealAmerica

i hope Trump does have a sensible plan to relocate and help transition those who came here, albeit illegally, but were law abiding citizens trying to keep their families and children afloat.

The whole point is, people should NOT be in mental distress over this election. If they are, there are some serious underlying mental issues and they probably should not be walking around in society to begin with. Next thing you know, these tarts get medicated with some SSRI's or some other bad chit, then forget to take them, and then we have a nut on the loose who is a danger to themselves and others.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Prove it.

What if a serial killer calls in and says he is afradi of being caught and gives details about his victims and where they are buried.

You really think they woukd not alert authorities or are legally bound not to do so?

I'm PRETTY sure regardless of what the policy really is and isn't regarding crisis hotline people reporting crimes that they'd at the minimum treat someone confessing to multiple murders over the phone considerably differently than someone admitting to crossing the border illegally.

top topics

join