It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Who Shot Philando Castile Is Charged With Manslaughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Officer Who Shot Philando Castile Is Charged With Manslaughter

“No reasonable officer — knowing, seeing and hearing what Officer Yanez did at the time — would have used deadly force under these circumstances,” the Ramsey County attorney, John J. Choi, said. Officer Yanez, who will appear in court on Friday, was also charged with two felony counts of intentional discharge of a dangerous weapon.
(bolding by me)

I remember quite a bit of speculation about a gun in the victim's lap.... not so:

Officer Yanez would later tell investigators that he feared for his life and that he believed Mr. Castile was trying to grab a gun. But Mr. Choi, the prosecutor, suggested a different narrative. He said that Mr. Castile had gone beyond what the law required in alerting Officer Yanez to his gun, and that he had never drawn the weapon. Paramedics eventually found the weapon, a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun, in the pocket of his shorts as they were positioning him on a backboard. There was no round in the chamber.

Obviously, this officer's life was never in danger, but an innocent man is dead because the officer "feared" it "might" be. Too very subjective words.

I have very mixed feelings about this. Yes, it was a wrongful death. But I'm not sure the officer hasn't been wronged as well.

I would like to know how officers are trained to deal with legal gun owners/carriers. I would also like to know how gun owners are instructed to deal with LEO. It just seems to me that one way to avoid such unnecessary killings is to have a specific protocol or procedures that should be established, well known and understood by all parties, and practiced diligently.

I would also think that if there is not an established protocol, that the officer has some legitimate grievances against his department. I don't want to see individual officers held responsible for the gross negligence and incompetence (or worse) of the department. It's not like they don't know that members of the general public are legally (and Constitutionally) carrying weapons. Officers also deserve to know when they have to use their firearms that they have done everything possible to protect life -- not endanger it.
edit on 17-11-2016 by Boadicea because: clarity

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but someone beat you to the punch.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Thank you... I even checked right before hitting post and didn't see it!

Mods -- do what you gotta do

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Thank you... I even checked right before hitting post and didn't see it!

Mods -- do what you gotta do

It happens to the best of us.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I would like to know how officers are trained to deal with legal gun owners/carriers.

In my experience....poorly. There are cops who think "we" should not be allowed to carry and will take their feelings out on "us", or, as soon as they hear the word "weapon" or "gun" they automatically think we're a threat.

My ex wife's nephew is a Trooper in the KSP. One day, I was talking to him and it came out that, after more than 3 years, he still didn't know that Il now has concealed carry.
The county my Mom lives in, is right across the state line, between Ky and Il. People from both states constantly go back and forth and you'll see just about as many cars with Il plates, as you will Ky plates. That he was completely ignorant of that just surprised the hell outta me. You'd think that, having to deal with people from Il on a daily basis, that'd be something their superiors would inform them of.
It may not be up to them to keep track of laws in other states, but being right across the river, you'd think they'd keep track of something like that.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Thread closed.

Please direct your comments here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join