It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking says humanity only has 1000 years left

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

We have ELE event asteroids

We better start correcting and planning stuff for tomorrow , next year, etc...

That is what Hawking is saying. He's suggesting planning for tomorrow needs to include getting out into space, so we can colonize other planets, so that those ELE events don't destroy our species, et cetera.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

So he's holding forth in an area he's not knowledgeable in and can't even give a basic explanation as to why or how this can come about.

Kaaaay.

Do you have some resentment for this man? lol

He's giving his thoughts on the matter. Is this not permitted!? That's all he's done.

Good grief.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy
Disagree. Mostly Hawking is speaking of our increasing ability to "destroy ourselves" In that I agree with him
But , as far as AI and robotics goes , he has been watching too many Terminator movies. He should go back and read Asimov.

edit on 11/17/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: superman2012

He does make a fantastic point though, we do need to start spreading out into the galaxy like the cancer we are

So freakin true
If we destroy the ecology of this world , what will be the outcome of future colonization ?
We are not ready , nor do we deserve that chance.

I think one more chance should be sufficient....although we don't know if we have been given the chance before. I wonder if our ancestors ancestors left their rock to come to this one to start over. There should be an agreement beforehand though, if we don't take care of our house, we burn it down to eliminate all the cockroaches!

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I wonder if our ancestors ancestors left their rock to come to this one to start over

Careful there. I have been on that line of thinking for as long as I can remember. And that is a long time.You may just end up like me.....
A wizened , enlightened old man
We may well be the "aliens" here

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
1000 years is a long time. Only alien intervention or attack could cause us to unite (or mass devestation on a global scale).

"The last to starve will be the first to suffocate"

1000 years is a drop in the ocean of time. Average life span is 75 to 80 years. This video looks at a 75 year window, just 25 years short of 100 years. 10 times the amount of time they had to work with. If we want to have a better outcome, I think we should start the ball rolling.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I dont venture too far from the den and familiar hunting grounds.... Ill stay here and you all can go offworld. I like critters, but not the chestbursters and facehugger types. Life always finds a way.. and Im wondering what sort of apex predator beastie could survive and flourish in the cold meanness of space.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
I dont venture too far from the den and familiar hunting grounds.... Ill stay here and you all can go offworld. I like critters, but not the chestbursters and facehugger types. Life always finds a way.. and Im wondering what sort of apex predator beastie could survive and flourish in the cold meanness of space.

If I were still here, I would go underground with you. Even if the Earth didn't make it and I became stardust. In 1000 years who knows, maybe the beasties will have arrived by that time and will no longer be a mystery.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join