It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Israel Sets Diplomacy with Palestinians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Israel is set to begin peace talk with the Palestinians. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has approved the talks in response to a stoppage of attacks from the occupied territories. The new Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas has deployed his police force to try to prevent attacks and has entered into a series of agreements with the insurgent groups.

story.news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has approved a start to diplomatic talks with the Palestinians in response to a lull in militant attacks secured by their new leader Mahmoud Abbas, officials said on Wednesday. The decision came hours before senior U.S. diplomat William Burns was to arrive on a fresh White House mission to revive a "road map" peace plan envisaging a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip co-existing with a secure Israel.

Palestinian Negotiations Minister Saeb Erekat was to meet top diplomatic advisers to Sharon in Jerusalem shortly to launch the new dialog.

Israeli Vice Premier Shimon Peres said the new diplomatic contacts aimed initially to coordinate with Palestinians a planned Israeli pullout from occupied Gaza this year. Sharon has cast the plan as "disengagement" from four years of conflict.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It may be naiveté on my part, but I really have hopes for this. Quite simply this is our best and perhaps last chance to attain any sort of peace in the region. Barring this, I cannot see anything on the horizon other than a massive bloody war that could be the spark needed to ignite World War III.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Palestinian Militants to Suspend Attacks: Looks to Israeli Response

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I agree with FredT, its something you dare'nt say aloud for fear of something wrecking it. Its looking very very promising indeed.

The only remaining stumbling blocks are Israel's release of the 7,000 Palestinians they still hold in jail and Sharon getting the planned pull outs and disengagement through the Knesset. On the Palestinians side they need to ensure Hammas and Islamic Jihad dont splinter after a truce is announced llike the IRA did with "The Real IRA"

I think Ghaddafi should join in the negotiations as an intermediary as his thawing of relations with the West was astounding to say the least. He knew exactly the right buttons to push to get a decent relationship started again with the US and Britain.

[edit on 26/1/05 by subz]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
An approximately two hour meeting between Dov Weisglass, Shalom Turgeman and Assaf Shariv (attended for the Israel side) and Saeb Erekat, Hassan Abu Libdeh and Muhammad Dahlan (attended for the Palestinian side) took place this morning (Wednesday, 26.1.05).

The sides agreed to meet again next week.
(Until then, security contacts will continue).

Rebekka

[edit on 26-1-2005 by Riwka]

join