It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest invention in history?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
because of my genealogy i would have to say the longbow(i know this aint as good as antibiotics or the wheel or even alcohol)but if the welsh hadnt invented the longbow history would have been a whole lot different(take the battle of agincourt as an example)hey..u americans might even be speaking french if it wasnt invented!!!IMHO

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The best invention without a doubt is mathmatics.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix
because of my genealogy i would have to say the longbow(i know this aint as good as antibiotics or the wheel or even alcohol)but if the welsh hadnt invented the longbow history would have been a whole lot different(take the battle of agincourt as an example)hey..u americans might even be speaking french if it wasnt invented!!!IMHO

Wheww, thanks for the longbow then

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
ummmm...duh....

the spork.

one piece you where you can eat your salad *AND* applesauce

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
gutenberg made the printing press in the 1450s, the italian renaissance started earlier in the century. the printing press was, however, a driving force of both renaisssances.

it is worth noting, however, that he didnt invent it. it had existed in china for centuries upon centuries prior to gutenberg. maybe you mean mass production, or westernization of the product.

Regardless, I gotta agree. The Printing Press, whomever invented it or made best use of it, or whatever, was by far, the greatest invention ever. Because of it, literacy was made available to the populace as a whole (rather than the clergy), maps became standardized, edicts could not be as easily corrupted, information was more easily spread, and eventually it opened the door to novels.

Yes, I know fiction was around previous to the printing press, but actual novels really never took off until afterward, nor were they profitable.

I could go on for hours about the merits of the printing press on society, but instead I'll stop here and pay homage by reading a good book.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
i think it is penicillin

i mean think about it, saved many lives. and it was even found from a fungus, not the first place i would look for a medicine.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
MOVIES! Especially comedies. Come on where would we be without

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Twist-off bottle caps, no doubt.

After that, the Ford Taurus.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Still no one has said the George Foreman Grill, The Mean Lean Grillin Machine.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
What about Plastics? Toothpaste? Floss? Gum? Coke? the list goes on.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Twist-off bottle caps, no doubt.

...yep...I can see that...

After that, the Ford Taurus.

...i'm hoping you're either a)joking...or b)experiencing the after effects of excessive 'bottle cap twisting offing'

...but seriously, the best invention in my eyes would have to be something like the Printing Press...enabling wholesale recording/copying and distribution of information so readily.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by alien]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
My vote for the best invention of all time is............
forgiveness.
Second place, the sincere apology.
Third place, generosity.
Of course, unconditional love is a definite contender too.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
None of these inventions would have bene possible if there were not a wheel to transport the people, ideas, materials, and finished products. There just would be nothing without the wheel seriously. Forget about moving things youd be limited by what you could carry with your two hands or on your back if your good at tying things. I assume the wheelbarrow is an example of what the very first wheel was used for. Of course too bad for the guy who had to use stone wheels at first but at least he was able to haul the deer, bear, buffalo whatever to his family for eating, whereas his neighbor could only chop up a few peices and leave the rest to rot. Matter of fact the wheel man probably had enough buffalo to share with 5 families. Also helped him move around more stones and wood for his shelter. Just face it we wouldnt be anywhere wthout the wheel.

Fire of course was the greatest discovery by man, followed by electricty. But as far as physical tools, objects shaped by man himself, the wheel brought us to the world we have today.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Perhaps one of the best inventions was made by evolution with the utilization of atmospheric oxygen by organisms.

The history of life was just microbes until sufficient oxygen built up in the atmosphere [Took a couple of billion years i believe, much was initially absorbed by rusting of iron oxides prior to becoming gaseous]. Once organisms started using oxygen the complete panorama of complex ['higher'] life forms developed. Creating real diversity of life.

Oxygen Respiration. Very important invention.

Hard to live without it.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The greatest inventions are suppressed when they work too well for the competitive functions against major companies.

Probably cures for disease rank at the top of the list, even obvious cures such as Vitamin C and L-Lysine taken appropriately to dissolve plaque in the arteries.

Probably the greatest invention in this context would be the highest security and authority for inventors in the health field. At the same time all honest peer review and publicity would be welcome. At the same time, total protection would be necessary in counter moves to adverse powers that care nothing about curing disease, but rather temporarily improving symptoms of disease while sustaining useless dosages over time. Some of these are harmful and covered in a veil of pretense and false science, bribed doctors, and so forth.

May I suggest curing diseases inside a ring of heavily armed security guards that will respond the minute the anyone attempts to interfere, with the fullest authority and a battery of private detectives and attorneys to ruin anyone interfering with frivolous nuissance legalisms? You may have to charge something profitable for these things, mostly to sustain an army of protections around you from both the government and current private sectors. Perhaps total secrecy until all peer review is notable would be sufficient, saving a great deal of overhead. The key is that health inventors have to have extraordinary protections from the current witch doctors of medicine and finance. At the same time they must have totally ethical constraints, all applicability of the "do no harm," axiom.

Maybe you could go into other things later.

[edit on 26-2-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Greatest invention has to be the beer

apc

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Common language
Wheel
The first stones worked into blades
The transistor

I believe every other creation of man stemmed from these four things. And to point out my opinion since it came up, organized structured religion has got to be the most detrimental thing mankind has ever conceived.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brazilian_Combat_Pilot

No matter how much we all love it i dont think this can be atribuited to any major events of great signifigance.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
When men were men and had to face fearsome carnivorous sabretooth tigers, giant bears, and woolly mammoths, without so much as a pen knife for defense........ The only people who seem to have noticed the significance were those bright lads from Monty Python's Flying Circus, who paid this work of genius tribute in a skit........where would we be today without the invention of ............wait for it ........ the pointed stick.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Originally posted by Brazilian_Combat_Pilot

No matter how much we all love it i dont think this can be atribuited to any major events of great signifigance.

You should live in New Orleans for a few years

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join