It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

People with dogs just don't get it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Damn it all, I live in a town of like 150 people, in a high tourism location, very conservative people that are overall friendly - You'd think the town would be nice, peaceful, calm, quiet, a nice place to take a walk - NOPE.

God Damn dogs at every other corner, and no leash laws are not enforced at all - I have a 3 month old daughter and I'm not even able to walk around the block due to violent dogs, or dogs that are in a huge need of attention and will jump on anyone that comes by - I wish this was an exaggeration or blowing it up, but nope, next door neighbor, neighbor across the street both have unleashed dogs that bark and chase you - And that's just 2 for 2, much of this stupid town is full of such dogs - Though some are luckily leashed.

Why are people so clueless when it comes to their dogs?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just call the pound. If they have tags, their owners will be notified... rinse and repeat till they get the point.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

This is an issue that bugs me even as a dog owner. My little guy is well trained though and always on a leash when outdoors. When I lived in town I couldn't even enjoy a walk with him because other people just let their dogs run amok or bring them to a park and let them run free. I've had a few incidents where dogs ran up to my dog and I in an aggressive manner and naturally my first instinct is to kick at the dog while guarding mine. I usually got the usual angry owner running up saying "He's friendly and doesn't bite you don't have to do that" My response is "I don't know your dog and actually ALL dogs bite it's just a matter of when or the right circumstance causing it". Irresponsible dog owners really get under my skin. So many animals get put down because they bit someone when it was the owners fault that it even happened and now the dog pays the price. Ok rant over.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

... and no leash laws are not enforced at all...

If you can record some and show it to the animal control people, I guarantee they'd love to see it.
edit on 16-11-2016 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Hello from a dog lover-

I hope Your predicament improves but it reads as if Your ecological niche has "gone to the dogs" (pun intended) The more I'm around people the MORE I LOVE My dogs but they know their spot. Mine are certified therapy dogs and I don't even let them run around like a raped ape, that is just bad form.

There are a couple things You can do to improve the situation until the human upholds their end of the deal and secure their dog(s). You can fill a can full of beans or similar and throw the can at approaching dogs. If they get closer than You'd like You can squirt some compressed air; a dog whistle is also helpful..

You can also repel the canines with Your thought(s). Next time when approaching the dogs, continue on w/nary a thought of any dogs; act like they aren't even there. Many times the dog picks up on what the human is thinking and then they fulfill that thought. e.g. Don't bolt when I open the door... The dog does exactly that..

To answer Your question at the end: "Because people are A-HOLES, L7 Square LOSERS and most think ONLY of their Self; that is why I LOVE My dogs...

namaste

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Get some mace. A quick shot and the dogs will learn pretty quick to quit running up to strangers in the street.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was going to suggest a tazer, but mace works.

I had to quite literally post signs after I slipped in a pile of dog doo mowing the lawn- if I hadn't been wearing steel toe boots I'd be short a couple digits.

Funny thing is, there IS a fine for it- I've just never once seen it enforced.
edit on 16-11-2016 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
Get some mace. A quick shot and the dogs will learn pretty quick to quit running up to strangers in the street.

Dogs have extremely sensitive noses.

I submit spraying the owner with mace gets a quicker reaction.

The dog can't read...So it's hard to blame the dog.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Our neighbor puts their yapping annoying dog outside constantly ans it just barks for hours on end and we have to constantly listen to it. It drives us crazy.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

If you find out, explain it to me. My 3 dogs are in the house or fenced in yard (fence constructed esp to keep dogs IN). They are on a leash when out. We have 3 1/2 acres and when I let the one old dog get a run in loose, I am supervising her every second.

Only 2 neighbors of 8 control their dogs. One neighbor dog has been snapped at by my leashed dog, while running loose, multiple times. The neighbors watch and smile, thinking it is play. I reprimand the loose dog, and have offered leashes to the people (these are people with multiple college degrees and professions).

I asked one other neighbor why she lets her dogs stay loose (I have had animal control get her dogs when they would not leave our open garage). She says she feels safe when they are barking at night.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I havent owned a dog in years and i still pick up dog # in my yard every year, i live in a town where going to the bank and seeing dogs run around is the norm.

I dont hate dogs, i hate the owners.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope I feel you!
I had a neighbor say that their dog which had jumped out of nowhere growling, baring its teeth was really friendly and a service dog... if I was a slow walking elderly or you scared child, I could of been lunch...I was angry for days...especially since I expected a "sorry my dog went into protective attack mode" and got giggles from the 20 or so year olds... I demanded they apologize for there dogs behavior or I would call athorities... and put animal control on speed dial...
best of luck...maybe note every time you see an angry dog out and about plus keep animal control on your phone for the violent ones...if your area has an animal control...
you mentioned leash laws not being enforced...maybe if there are enough reports on the matter,things could change..depending on how many folks are bothered like you...hopefully you can find like minded sorts...!

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

My advice, having gone through similar situations:
* Post 'No Trespassing' signs on your property.
* Obtain a trap that will hold a large dog, and put some food in it.
* When one of the problem dogs get trapped in it, call animal control to remove it as a nuisance.
* Do not approach or talk to the dog owners directly... they get offended and disputes start. Let them find Fido at the
pound.
* Even if they see their dog in your trap, they can not trespass... therefore they are stuck to leash going forward or be
happy shipping their BFF off to the pound.

Animal control was nice enough to lend me their trap for about 3 weeks while I sent poorly trained pups off to prison. I'm a bold person... I don't mind putting it on the front lawn with a sign for what I was hoping to catch... its not like the dogs are going to read it. It was actually kind of fulfilling to find a back door to getting rid of the problems, and it was like Christmas each morning as you looked for which critter was in the trap. I hope you get them gone as well.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Lock someones misbehaving animal in a cage where they can see it, and you'll find out real quick how much they respect your no trespassing or private property signs.

I once knew a guy who was verbally threatened by his loser of a neighbor, who was widely suspected by the local community of being the source of all of their recent theft problems- guy kept poorly trained pit bulls.

There were serious talks of littering the area with macadamia nuts.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Sorry I posted this, then got busy!

Thanks for the feedback, suggestions, and empathy, though. I'm glad I'm not just seen as a miserable person by everyone for not just loving all dogs in the world regardless of their demeanor - Honestly, if an owner has their dog on a leash, I'll ask if it's friendly, and if given the go-ahead, give the dog some love - I don't dislike dogs, I just dislike people who don't take care of their dogs.

Not really a pound around here, but we do have some bored cops/sheriff and the like most of the time so I'm sure they'd be some help if push came to shove.

Really I'd just enjoy walking down a street without choosing a particular route based on chained dogs, less houses, etc.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
It's not all dog owners. It's bad dog owners.

Had quite a few neighbors like that. Basically they would abuse and keep the dogs around to make puppy breeding money and to intimidate people with the very nasty tempered one due to abuse(has bit and attacked before but no chargers brought) who should not be bred at all costs.

City blocks in some areas are unfortunately home to alley ways filled with dogs confined to fenced yards and even sadder some on leashes. That creates behavior problems such as aggression that may already be an issue due to how they are treated and not being fixed.

Observe, write down and even photograph what you're dealing with then contact your local animal shelter(as you mention there isn't one but wonder if one nearby?) for advice. Hopefully in the meantime the officer can help but keep in mind many cops are not trained to deal with animals or at least some not respectively. May want to contact or search about the HSUS, ASPCA-or other animal welfare for advice depending on where you are.

Caution is needed especially now for outside dogs that winter is coming(not sure where you are) bad enough many dogs died from heat exposure being confined to back yards without proper care.
edit on 16-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2016 by dreamingawake because: ETA

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Instead of mace I would recommend diluted ammonia in a squirt bottle. The nose is very sensitive and that will often repel a dog. Don't spray it on them, but in front of them.

Keep in mind an irresponsible dog owner may not get appropriate treatment for a dog that was maced. It isn't the fault of the dog. Almost any dog, properly trained, is friendly.

I get far more annoyed with dog owners than dogs.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I still to this day don't understand why people walk their dogs off the leash (especially along busy roads) . It really winds me up 😠

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

When I was eight years old, I lived in a house which had a back yard, which backed onto a wide, mud and hardcore alleyway. Most folks had wide back gates on their yard, or a garage directly onto the alley. Few people parked their cars in those garages, or through those gates, because the alleyway itself was rough, often littered with fly tipped scrap metal, abandoned bikes, car parts, loose masonry and other assorted detritus, none of which was all that accommodating to car tires.

It's undulating surface would either be a dusty, dry stretch during summer, or a mud bath during autumn, spring or winter. I used the alley often, on the way home from school. I also used it occasionally when going out on, or coming home from a ride on my little blue BMX. One particular day, I came home from school on foot, and passed a particular fence, a few gardens back from my own. A dog, a large one was barking and growling behind it. I walked on. I heard a ripping, tearing noise, wood splintering and cracking. I looked over my shoulder to see a muzzle, locked around a fence panel, chomping it to bits.

I began to walk faster. The sound of several fence panels breaking apart issued from behind me, and I knew that the dog was now free. I was not close enough to our back yard to gain access to it, and even if I had been, we were poor, and could not afford to fence our yard at the back. There was no where to run. I looked toward the noise, and sure enough, a dog was pacing toward me, growling, barking its deep bark. It was a squat, thick legged thing, some kind of Staffordshire cross with something...

It only stopped pacing slowly, when it bowled into a dead sprint, running right at me growling all the way. I dropped my backpack, bent my knees just a little, and just as the dog leapt at my head, I stepped sideways and kicked it straight in the testicles. It's speed as it passed where my head had been was such, that it skidded about eight feet when it landed, and while it was not under control, I snatched up my pack, and ran for my back door. Fumbling with my keys, I looked down my garden, to see the dog waddling, slowly and carefully back toward its own house.

I never had a problem with that dog again. Understand, I actually love animals and always have. From spiders to snakes, from cats to dogs, animals are generally my friends, but this animal wanted my face in its mouth. I never would have lashed out if it had not have been for my life. I should also point out that I have met many Staffs and Staff crosses which were total sweethearts, soppy as you like, and would never hurt a fly worth a damn. But there are times where you have to go with your gut, especially when your gut says "for all your science, you will have to fight, not think your way out of this one".

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

I could just as easily make statements about a lot of parents and the things they let their kids do. There's a lot of great dog owners, but some of them really do suck (just like parents). Want to know who hates #ty dog owners the most? Other dog owners, because they make us look like assholes and lead to threads like this being created. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you're upset and you have every right to be. As others have said, document it and call animal control to have this issue taken care of. As a dog owner, I have no sympathy for people who don't follow the rules.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join