It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

700,000,000 Cell phone have a back door Sending Info to China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Ut oh, secret back door send info to china????? The program that runs the code is on 700,000,000 phones.

What does this really mean, and what information.

Does our govt know what is going on?

A story in the New York Times today reveals that some smartphones contain a secret backdoor that sends data to servers located in China. Pre-installed software on certain Android powered handsets kept track of where users went to, the phone calls they made and received, and the content of text messages that were sent. The number of devices possibly involved in sending this information to China is extremely high.

The company that wrote the software, Shanghai Adups Technology Company, says that its code runs on more than 700 million smart devices including phones and cars. The software reportedly

Samual Ohey-Zion said his company didn't know about the back door, and is making a patch to fix it. The software pulls text and ID's specific users.

Why are they pulling info, and what are they doing with it?

It was obviously something that we were not aware of," said BLU chief executive Samuel Ohev-Zion. "We moved very quickly to correct it." Adups' website reveals the company supplies software to manufacturers including ZTE and Huawei, two of the largest smartphone brands in the world. Both are located in China. Adups developed its monitoring systems at the request of an unnamed Chinese manufacturer that wanted to be able to store call logs and text messages to assist with customer service queries. Because the software is preinstalled on affected phones, mobile antivirus providers do not flag it as suspicious.

The firmware could identify specific users and text messages matching remotely defined keywords," said Kryptowire. "The firmware also collected and transmitted information about the use of applications installed on the monitored device, bypassed the Android permission model, executed remote commands with escalated (system) privileges, and was able to remotely reprogram the devices."
A lot of questions remain around the Adups software and how it got onto U.S. phones. The scope of the monitoring is unclear and Adups hasn't stated how many devices are running its code. Too many questions remain: is the company is using the data for tailored advertising? Is there the potential this data could be used for spying on the behalf of the Chinese government

www.digitaljournal.com...
jalvishack.wordpress.com...
edit on 16-11-2016 by seasonal because: better source

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What NYT article? I don't think the link in your link goes to it and I don't trust bloggers without proper sources much.

Even the blog's source fails to link to the NYT article unless I'm missing it.
edit on 16-11-2016 by ksiezyc because: (no reason given)

Got it. They should have provided an original source link though.

www.nytimes.com...

Security experts frequently discover vulnerabilities in consumer electronics, but this case is exceptional. It was not a bug. Rather, Adups intentionally designed the software to help a Chinese phone manufacturer monitor user behavior, according to a document that Adups provided to explain the problem to BLU executives. That version of the software was not intended for American phones, the company said.

The Chinese company that wrote the software, Shanghai Adups Technology Company, says its code runs on more than 700 million phones, cars and other smart devices.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Nice find.

I hope my iPhone is not sending my text to China. They would all be laughing.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   

The actual number was much smaller, and it has already been patched. That kind of factual information would also have been posted had a real source been used instead if someone's back-alley blog.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I was and am completely aware that my Chinese brand MI android phone is back doored. Silly to assume otherwise.
edit on 16-11-2016 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Lots of kit has all sorts of crap on it that sends back and forth data to the mothership, realistically anyone in a position of any importance will have an hardened phone. This seems like it was a targeted operation to get advertising data from the Chinese customers but like a lot of things the phones probably just got sent out to whoever brought them with the standard image which included the software.

If it was a state run operation i'd of expected more subtlety from them to say the least as i'd imagine the data was pretty much sent plain text.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdennis10

Mine too, kinda boring. But I don't like it.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

All suggestions of stuff like this are probably true, and they are also a disgustingly, creepy violation of human privacy. There can be no justification for this

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Double post

edit on -216002016-11-16T12:31:25-06:000000002530201625112016Wed, 16 Nov 2016 12:31:25 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The only part of this I'm skeptical on is this has got to imply this has gone on for years.

ISP's and cell phone carriers would have had to notice the terabytes of data making its way to China.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

All suggestions of stuff like this are probably true, and they are also a disgustingly, creepy violation of human privacy. There can be no justification for this

But like any other addict, we will keep buying the stuff, even if we know that it is doing us harm.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Kind of like the NSA.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This is a cheaper phone here in the US, my question is how do we know when our "expensive" phone is sending info to who and why.

And can we shut it off.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

This is a cheaper phone here in the US, my question is how do we know when our "expensive" phone is sending info to who and why.

And can we shut it off.

I'm no expert, just a regular guy who's incredibly creeped out by the whole illegal intelligence gathering thing

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
No, all the alphabets orgs are only spying on you to help you, Silly.

Kind of like the NSA.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Read this in work earlier ...

www.theregister.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

When ever I read stories like this I realize we are screwed.

Couple this with face recognition on drivers licenses, traffic cams, black boxes in cars, gps, credit card tracking, bank cash deposit/removal reported........Screwed

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I think I want to ditch my phone.

*hello is this working, what?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I just took a naked selfie. Hope China likes it.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdennis10

Does apple have a 2 canner available in the pearl white finish?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join