It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The debacle that is the Air Force leadership

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is actually from March of this year, but it shows what a farce the current Air Force leadership is. In March 2016, General James Holmes, deputy chief of staff for strategic plans and requirements informed Congress that the Air Force would miss the Jan 1, 2020 deadline to have their aircraft equipped with ADS-B transponders. He said there's a possibility not all of them would be so equipped either. When pressed, he said it would be "shortly" after the deadline when they had them done (shortly being 2028).

What makes this a bigger debacle is that funding for C-130 avionics modernization (ADS-B upgrades) was allocated, but not spent, beginning in 2012, because DoD lawyers have a different interpretation of the law.

www.aopa.org...

www.flyingmag.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

This country needs to do a serious full audit of the entire DoD of how funds are managed and allocated.

The Marine Corps volunteered to be the 1st Branch to undergo an audit by an outside entity. We'll be going through it this FY. But we're a bunch of cheap penny pinching buggers.

But the fraud waste abuse and mismanagement is endemic through the entire Department and needs to be corrected.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
As someone who works for the UK equivalent of the DoD I find this to be unsurprising and in a perverse way quite reassuring to know that the staggering incompetence at high levels is not unique to Great Britain. Is defence development and procurement completely in the hands of the private sector in the US?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
oops!
edit on 16-11-2016 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I know that many of you folks don't want to hear it, but the cost of building and operating the black triangles have got to come out of standard, legitimate budgets whether in large amounts at the initial allocations or piecemeal. Imagine, if you will, whole sections devoted to wrangling that necessary money for this secret, extensive program. An audit, such as with the Marines', is positively the last thing they the Air Force wants.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

It goes through Congress, to the Pentagon and is awarded to a private company through them.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Sorry for more questions but is that a government policy? And Has it always been that way? a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

There are a few exceptions, but that's the normal way procurement works.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

This country needs to do a serious full audit of the entire DoD of how funds are managed and allocated.

The Marine Corps volunteered to be the 1st Branch to undergo an audit by an outside entity. We'll be going through it this FY. But we're a bunch of cheap penny pinching buggers.

But the fraud waste abuse and mismanagement is endemic through the entire Department and needs to be corrected.

USMC is a quasi branch, they are under the Navy and the Navy gives them scraps. When I was in a USMC FA-18 unit we ran circles around the Navy squadrons when deployed on a carrier. Our guys would work long long hours to keep our POS equipment up an running for the sole purpose of bragging rights that we outperformed the Navy units. Just a totally different mentality in the USMC.

It's a slippery slope though. Working people that hard and penny pinching has consequences. Mainly on morale. Air Force does waste money but their people are a lot happier than those in the USMC. Proud to be a former Marine but most of the time it sucked to be honest.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
This country needs to ...

Speaking with the voice of 35 years experience ...

Consolidate the four branches of service back down to two.

Reduce the number of four star generals to three. (and prepare for 2d and 3d order effects)

Kick out the effeminate. (it's a cost-savings thing - believe me - not an anti-anything)

Kick out non-hackers. (it's a standards thing)

If the military wanted you to have a family ... they would have issued you a family. No exceptions.

Two civilians: The SecDef and the POTUS. That is all ... 0 others (and especially no contractors).

Stop classifying everything. Anyone touching classified defense information goes in for a real polygraph. Failing a polygraph leads directly to Leavenworth. Do not pass Go ... Do not even think about a pension. 90% of people 'should' fail the polygraph.

I could go on. But, I think it's entirely clear ... the DoD needs to be washed-out and re-built.

... In My Not So Humble (Learned) Opinion

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Zaphod,

It surprises me that this was your line in the sand.

Welcome to the dark side, your membership packet should be there within 10-15 business days...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

My line in the sand was years ago. This is just one of the more blatant screw ups I've seen recently.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just when you start to think the leadership is utterly incompetent, along comes Canada to save the day, and steal the title.

You'll have to copy and paste the link. Mobile doesn't like to do the easy link thing.

www.nationalpost.com... considering-sole-source-purchase-of-super-hornet-fighter-jets-to-replace-cf-18s
edit on 11/19/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/19/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

They should probably start looking at some new tankers too shouldn't they? I know the small amount of A310s they have right now are fairly new tanker conversions, but I can't imagine that those 50 year old jets are in great shape.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

They've got a shopping list of necessary replacements. They're getting to the point where they HAVE to replace things.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Have to.

Which means they are staring into the abyss of not being able to do their jobs if/when the time comes. Which means the contractors will get away with murder, fiscally speaking.

There are times when I think I could do a better job with procurement then these idiots.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

There were two times they attempted to deploy ships to Hawaii for exercises. Both times they had major problems. One suffered a fairly significant fire, the other collided with the supply ship. Both wound up being towed back. The ship that collided with the supply ship suffered a major crack to the hull as a result.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

You were supposed to EMBRACE the suck....ONLY the mission my son....

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

DEAL but I get to keep my issue weapon,this time...

edit on 19-11-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Yeah that's what it seems like. If you look at their Air Force it's a smattering of modern jets combined with super outdated relics flying around. Operating new trainers and J model C-130s alongside Caribous, A310s, and E model C-130s. It looks like they got halfway though modernizing and after the C-17s showed up they just said to hell with it.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join