It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

They are going to try and control what you can read!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: Greggers

I'd say at the very least, our society has a vested interest in keeping BS propaganda influenced by foreign governments from flooding out citizenry.

And we should not be subject to the propaganda of our own government, there should NOT be intelligence agency operatives posing as journalists.

Major media outlets should NOT be colluding with either side of the political fence. And when such is shown to occur, severe and harsh penalties should apply.

I agree with all that.

And while we're at it, get dark money out of politics.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Major media outlets should NOT be colluding with either side of the political fence. And when such is shown to occur, severe and harsh penalties should apply.

I think that would pose some constitutional problems.

We have the freedom to associate ourselves with whomever who choose and the 1st amendment allows us the freedom of the press, speech, etc.

While we may not like what some people publish, as long as no laws are broken they should be free to coordinate with groups of people they associate with (political parties) and publish any content they desire.

It's our job to pay attention to what biases or agendas they may have and I don't believe the government needs to penalize media outlets for their associations/speech.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: Tucket

My post had nothing to do with corruption.

...Of course it didn't because you think all the stories of corruption are lies/hoaxes and such..

Therefore.. Left good...right Satan

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i kinda know something that is a parallel to this, i've watched a certain media corporation buy out her competitors over the last couple of years...something to do with ads. it feels like telling a secret i'm not supposed to know, let alone tell anyone!
it's all about being the one source for people's dollars.

it's all about wanting to be the 'one' praised for being the sole provider of goods, and services.

you know likes, monsanto?

when word of mouth is all that's available we can move back into our caves.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

...Of course it didn't because you think all the stories of corruption are lies/hoaxes and such..

I have not said that. Don't make things up.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

While we may not like what some people publish, as long as no laws are broken they should be free to coordinate with groups of people they associate with (political parties) and publish any content they desire.

This is true, but they should be transparent about their associations, especially if they are closely tied with a major political figure and are trying to present the facade that they are independent of influence from said figure.

It's our job to pay attention to what biases or agendas they may have and I don't believe the government needs to penalize media outlets for their associations/speech.

Precisely, as to who's job it is to pay attention to bias and agenda's. You're also right that associations shouldn't be penalized, with the exception when they are shown to have broken laws in so doing.

That being said, I suppose as long as it is legal to use propaganda against the American citizen's we will continue to see government/media collusion go unpunished.

edit on 16-11-2016 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed tag

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

In other words, social media and constant information are bad things.

Disruption is another word for "change." Is change a bad thing?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

I have not said that. Don't make things up.

Nice circle jerkin

Looking forward to your usual crys of nuttery! and conspiratorial BS! throughout the board..

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
They think we spend too much time on narrsistic self opinionated worthless crap sites.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
My take on this. We're too stupid to understand what's happening so *we're* going to tell you what is okay/acceptable.
Yup sounds like censorship to me.
Well i have stumbled a few times in my life so while you're at it could you make the sidewalks more bouncy?
Also could i have a couple of boxes of money that "doesn't exist" from the middle East? I'd like to pad the hard corners around my home just in case i trip fall bonk my head causing brain damage and i start believing this horse feces you're trying to do for my/our good

edit on 16-11-2016 by SPHARAOH because: Error

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Personality I'm satisfied that measures are being taken against Fake News. I'm also extremely satisfied with the OP defending "Fake News" as acceptable in the Republican thought, because the premise of the context.

It should be obvious fake news is bad.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Now we have a rough idea who they are going to target… A far left professor has compiled a list of “fake and misleading” news websites.
From his report in the LATimes- See here

Source< br />
The list includes WND, ZeroHedge, Brietbart, InfoWars, Drudge report, The Blaze, The Onion(derp), BIn(already banned here), ActivistPost, etc. Most of the main right leaning news Plus, CoastToCoastAm(wonder what Noory is going to say?). He notes that he'll add more. Since this site has been categorized by some as RW leaning, makes you wonder if it is to be included, considering the news and topics shared.

Copy of the list

The list and similar could be potentially picked up by Google(if not their own) for use as needed.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SPHARAOH
We're too stupid to understand what's happening

Unfortunately, for a vast number of Americans, that certainly seems to be the case.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

I've been outspoken about the Russian propaganda agenda and ongoing cyber war that's being ignored by Americans. Fake news, bad memes, ect ...

However

I just had a discussion tonight abut this, and here is my stance (which may surprise many).

I've seen MSM articles saying that Facebook needs to "crack down on fake news" and on reddit there are calls to "ban" certain news sources. That, to me, is very VERY wrong.

When you start restricting where people can get their information you move ever closer to the very nation state that is playing a part in this mess -- Russia.

What's happening is that there are so many news sources now, and so many of them are fake -- instead of people having critical thinking and taking time to discuss and sort through them, they're being told they need to beg for it to be paired down.

What's going to happen is the people are going to demand America has it's own state-sponsored TV news like Russia's "RT" (which is funded by the Russian government). The people will start to demand their own version of the old Pravda news here in the USA.

The people will walk themselves into the jail cells they claim they want to avoid.

No, what we need is to make people more aware of what is going on, and pull the curtains back on the hidden agendas that exist. Real, honest, geopolitical agendas that aren't conspiracies -- but fact.

There is a very real reason and motivation to for Russia to pollute and taint the EU and America's news, and fund pro-nationalist movements. However, that doesn't mean we need to be paranoid and demand we establish our own state-sponsored media!

We just need to be aware and care. We need to put America first, and not pay lip-service to other nations.

Does America have problems? Hell yes it does. Is America perfect? Far from it! That being said -- America is still great, despite the backwards psychological trickery propagandists want you think. Have those claiming they want to "make America great, again" ever been outside the USA? Have they actually spent appreciable time in a 2nd or 3rd world country?

America is pretty fricken' awesome, and despite 8 years of Obama no one's guns were taken away, and he isn't installing himself as lifetime Emperor (unlike another leader of a major Eurasian super power...).

We need to just wake up and maybe stop being so "news obsessed"? Perhaps?

Censoring or filtering for "bad news" goes against everything that does make America great. If we want to keep America great, we need to ask ourselves questions after reading news articles. We can't just absorb our news, we need to process and think about our news.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

See, Kettu? Two people from opposite political perspectives can agree on things. I largely agree with what you've said there.

We need to protect what makes us unique in the world.

edit on 17-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

See, Kettu? Two people from opposite political perspectives can agree on things. I largely agree with what you're said there.

We need to protect what makes us unique in the world.

Absolutely! Part of the idea of the internet is that it is a social equalizer. Someone without a ton of money but a lot of skill can research and write amazing articles and become famous.

I loathe the day the people clap and cheer as rights are taken away.

It reminds me of that scene from "the star wars movie that we don't talk about with Natalie Portman"

And one other huge factor...

Advertising.

I blame a LOT of the "bad news" on media websites wanting more page views/clicks. Nobody "pays" for their news anymore so sites like HuffPo and Breitbart rely on advertisements being displayed on their pages. In order to get more website visits, crappy stories with little to no research are pumped out at record rates. Insanely sensationalized and totally hyperbolic headlines are crafted as "click bait" to lure people in.

I think journalism has entered it's "Dark Night" right now. The mainstream media knows it is in serious trouble, and those reporting for it should be doing a lot of soul searching. There's zero accountability, and tens of thousands of "contributors" writing these half-baked, click bait articles.

Back in the day you had maybe 3 broadcast TV news stations (not because it was restricted, just technology and market demand) -- along with a few news papers. Those newspapers had reporters/writers who's names you recognized, and you paid to have that paper delivered to you. Advertising wasn't tainting the messenger like it is today.

*whew*

Thanks for reading...we really as a nation need to be having a national discussion about this, and it extends beyond politics. If there's so much bad political news, just imagine how much of the "other" news is bad because we aren't paying as close of attention to it?
edit on 17-11-2016 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I've seen MSM articles saying that Facebook needs to "crack down on fake news" and on reddit there are calls to "ban" certain news sources. That, to me, is very VERY wrong.

When you start restricting where people can get their information you move ever closer to the very nation state that is playing a part in this mess -- Russia.

If Facebook stops printing news from questionable sources, people can still get it elsewhere. As a private corporation, Facebook can implement whatever policies it chooses. That is not censorship. Only if the government bans particular websites or outlaws specific thoughts or expressions, so that the public is not able to access them at all, is it censorship.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

If Facebook stops printing news from questionable sources, people can still get it elsewhere.

True.

As a private corporation, Facebook can implement whatever policies it chooses.

False. Did you miss the IPO?

That is not censorship. Only if the government bans particular websites or outlaws specific thoughts or expressions, so that the public is not able to access them at all, is it censorship.

True.

Additionally, even if Facebook could implement whatever policies it chooses (it cant for various reason), there is still the topic of responsible business ownership....the old adage is still very much applicable, just because we can do something doesn't necessarily mean we should do it.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

If Facebook stops printing news from questionable sources, people can still get it elsewhere. As a private corporation, Facebook can implement whatever policies it chooses. That is not censorship.

Ummm....no.

FaceBook is a public company not a private corporation.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Good summation.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join