It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trolls 101 —- How To Identify Trolls And Forum Spies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The site I found this article on might unarguably be a Russian propaganda site but the article itself deserves consideration by "all" ATS members.
No corrections of the original article were made.

Trolls 101 —- How To Identify Trolls And Forum Spies

thesaker.is...
The following comment was selected by mod-kl from this post. Mod-kl found this dissertation on the various troll techniques to be quite well written and very education. We think other members of the saker community would also enjoy it.
by Anonymous

How To Identify Trolls And Forum Spies
(Cryptome) Cointelpro Techniques for dilution, misdirection and control of a internet forum. There are several techniques for the control and manipulation of a internet forum no matter what, or who is on it.

Technique #1 – ‘Forum Sliding

If a very sensitive posting of a critical nature has been posted on a forum – it can be quickly removed from public view by ‘forum sliding.’ In this technique a number of unrelated posts are quietly prepositioned on the forum and allowed to ‘age.’ Each of these misdirectional forum postings can then be called upon at will to trigger a ‘forum slide.’ The second requirement is that several fake accounts exist, which can be called upon, to ensure that this technique is not exposed to the public.

Technique #2 – ‘Consensus Cracking’

A second highly effective technique (which you can see in operation all the time at www.abovetopsecret.com...) is ‘consensus cracking.’ To develop a consensus crack, the following technique is used. Under the guise of a fake account a posting is made which looks legitimate and is towards the truth is made – but the critical point is that it has a very weak premise without substantive proof to back the posting.

Technique #3 – ‘Topic Dilution’

Topic dilution is not only effective in forum sliding it is also very useful in keeping the forum readers on unrelated and non-productive issues. This is a critical and useful technique to cause a ‘Resource Burn.’ By implementing continual and non-related postings that distract and disrupt (trolling ) the forum readers they are more effectively stopped from anything of any real productivity.

Technique #4 – ‘Information Collection’

Information collection is also a very effective method to determine the psychological level of the forum members, and to gather intelligence that can be used against them. In this technique in a light and positive environment a ‘show you mine so me yours’ posting is initiated. From the number of replies and the answers that are provided much statistical information can be gathered. An example is to post your ‘favourite weapon’ and then encourage other members of the forum to showcase what they have.

Technique #5 – ‘Anger Trolling’

Statistically, there is always a percentage of the forum posters who are more inclined to violence. In order to determine who these individuals are, it is a requirement to present a image to the forum to deliberately incite a strong psychological reaction.

Technique #6 – ‘Gaining Full Con-trol’

It is important to also be harvesting and continually maneuvering for a forum moderator position. Once this position is obtained, the forum can then be effectively and quietly controlled by deleting unfavorable postings – and one can eventually steer the forum into complete failure and lack of interest by the general public

Conclusion

Remember these techniques are only effective if the forum participants do not know about them. Once they are aware of these techniques the operation can completely fail, and the forum can become uncontrolled.

Here you go ATS members. I encourage you to read the entire article.
Again:
thesaker.is...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Nice thread..Thanks CharlesT for the info

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Step one. Mention the election, as soon as they open their mouths punch them in the dick! If they hit you back and tell you about how Hillary won the popular vote, and there is a petition online. They are a soulless troll. Feel free to publicly shame them for their anti-democratic ways, and remind them they are what's wrong with this country.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My pleasure.

a reply to: DarkvsLight29

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Right! Looks like a total misdirection to me. Make it political, will you?

a reply to: Aeshma

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Get the popcorn. Another "I can detect trolls" thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
I'm just sitting here looking forward to seeing all the deflecting comments roll in.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Am I a troll or just opinionated?

Hmmm. I'm off to the philosophy boards, I'll get back to you with an answer.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
So many options. Not sure which one to use. My favorite personal one though is Ambush. Draw in someone who you know wants to tread hard on you from previous engagements. Dig a proverbial hole, set with sharp bamboo, cover it with leaves and wait. Once they fall in, other members kick them as they attempt to get out.

You have to be privy though to some information nobody knows. For me, it was Nate Silver's five thirty eight poll site being complete BS. I looked at all the polling methods and picked up on severe flaws. This was on another site. I would not do that here. Nobody on here deserves the Ambush.
edit on 15-11-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2016 by LifeMode because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Posted years ago:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A great read nontheless.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Some of us are trying to get paid. Do you mind?

Your handler will be here any minute comrade.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
I'm just sitting here looking forward to seeing all the deflecting comments roll in.
'

Just as I'm waiting for some real evidence. Every month we get someone who proclaims they have advanced knowledge or superior intelligence capable of revealing a "troll mindset." They use this to direct ad hominem attacks against people who basically just disagree with the most current conspiracy theory. THAT'S the "deflection."

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
You tell me. Looking through your posting history for the past 30 days or more I see gaboodles about politics, news and social issues and civil unrest but only one in philosophy and metaphysics. You tell me. Are you?
a reply to: In4ormant

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I see a fair amount of amusement in this thread.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

My good man, this is what is known as a plant. It preys on the lesser minds of the conspiracy community, convincing them they have found logical indisputable evidence that their superior online adversaries are in fact "trolls."

It makes him feel good, let him play with it for a while and lend him a kleenex to clean himself up once the shame kicks in.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Now comes the thread slider.

ETA: Misdirection.
edit on 2016-11-15T19:15:30-06:0007pmTue, 15 Nov 2016 19:15:30 -0600TuesdayAmerica/Chicago3030 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
You tell me. Looking through your posting history for the past 30 days or more I see gaboodles about politics, news and social issues and civil unrest but only one in philosophy and metaphysics. You tell me. Are you?
a reply to: In4ormant

I dont know?!?!?!
It's all very confusing. Maybe I'm not but I'm trolling this thread to be a d#ck.
I don't feel like a d*ck though.

What's your method tell you?
I just want answers. Understanding can lead to healing and change.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I've had my fun for the night. Time to find a good old John Wayne movie.
Good night, sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LifeMode

Not an ambush. I just posted it for ATS members insight into what can and probably does happen , not only here but on boards in general. A refresher in this mater is never out of place since there are new members joining continually. Personally, I don't care who is or is not. I'll say what is on my mind and lump it if you don't like it. Whoever want's to take offense, go ahead I don't care but just remember that people are watching.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

You are seriously trying to tell the audience this is not happening? Surely you jest?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join