It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: San Francisco Bars Smoking in Its Parks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
While not the first city to do so, San Francisco has become the first major city to ban smoking in its parks. San Francisco, now joins Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, as well as the central Californian city of Fresno, as have a zero tolerance for smoking in its recreation areas. Some of the reasons cited included the health risks and the litter problem posed by cigarette butts.

story.news.yahoo.com
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Legislators in San Francisco city voted to ban smoking in public parks on Tuesday, becoming the first major American city to embrace such an expansive ban on tobacco use.

"This is the first one that includes all the parks and recreational centers in a county," said Michela Alioto-Pier, a city legislator who sponsored the proposed ban. It needs the approval of Mayor Gavin Newsom to become law.

Several smaller California cities have already prohibited smoking in city parks, including Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, as well as the central Californian city of Fresno. A few cities outside California have limited smoking bans in local parks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I for one am whole behind this ban. For some reason that perplexes me the majority of smokers view the planet as their own ashtray flicking the butts of thier nasty habit wherever and whenever they please. It simply infuriates me to see a still burning butt flying across the freeway. Its hard to go from California to another state where smoking is still permitted in restaurants. Id rather eat at home!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Brilliant...That's the way to go Frisco.
The sooner they start that kind of thing over here the better.(UK)

[edit on 26-1-2005 by GEORGE]

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
You guys are insane...you cant smoke in open air now???...wtf???...sounds like discrimination to me...as for cigarette buds...they already have laws in place against leaving crap on the floor...its called littering...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I agree with FredT about people throwing cigarette butts all over the place -- makes me nuts too. And people who empty car ashtrays in parking lots or at stop signs --

But BasementAddix has a point also -- why not enforce the littering laws that are already in place. That is also one of my buttons -- they (government) are always coming up with new laws for things that could be handled by enforcing old laws.

BTW I'm not a smoker but come on -- don't tell me they are going to blame some type of air pollution on outside smokers -- wonder how many millions they would spend to do a study on it -- after all they studied cow farts and global warming and why bees can fly when they shouldn't be able to.

jm

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Na, they'd rather just ban the products that produce the waste that the people litter with. Can you still enjoy a good old fashioned picnic in the parks in California, or is that banned also. I mean, how many people get sick from slow-cooked potato salad that's been sitting out in the heat too long. Shouldn't we be protecting these people also? And, well, just look at all the crap that's blown around, never picked up, and left to ruin the view.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This attack on smoking is insane...NYC...for example..its $7 a pack...because of friggen taxes...you cant smoke in bars...you cant get the cigs online...and the people who did are getting hundreds to thousands of dollars in bills for "unpaid back taxes on cigarettes"...this is crazy...

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
OK, thats excessive.

What studies demonstrate that people are even exposed to second hand smoke in an open air environment, let alone that its detrimental to their health?

If its that dangerous, then it should be outlawed.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I wish theyd do it here then the obnoxious, smelly people with a filthy habit can happily kill themselves in their own home without affecting other people.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The big picture here is not smoking, it is the removal of people rights, it has been a slow process but more and more rights are being taken away. take a long look around you because every day we lose more ground, the goverment is taking control more and more every day!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I remember a while back reading a story that the new governor was to ban smoking in the state prisons. A prison full of crims with all that pent-up energy and then you take the cigarettes away? That's gonna calm them down

The same story also went on to mention that he's also had a purpose built smoking shelter type thing erected so he could go smoke his cigars

I'm a smoker, I roll my own (wanna see the looks I get in the US...I've even been asked more than once if it's a "joint"), but dispose of the butts in liter bins and, where provided, ashtrays. I do agree that to do otherwise is littering and have been hit in the face and burnt, whilst driving, by a cigarette butt thrown from a car.
However, to ban smoking in the open air is just ridiculous, especially given the smog hanging over most US cities, it even obscures the Hollywood sign sometimes

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
The big picture here is not smoking, it is the removal of people rights,

Jeeze, how about he rights of the children and myself who are exposed to the smoke? Thats a big hazzard as well. Its similar to public schools requiring that kids be immunized? Its a public health issue. Also, smokers have demonstrated a inability to NOT litter. I defy you to show me a public place where the ground is butt free.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
zen faschists will control you,
100% natural,
you will jog for the master race,
and always wear a happy face.

i say smoke em if you got em

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is going alittle far IMO you already cant smoke in bars and now you cant outside. If the problem is people leaving butts around enforce the friggin littering laws.

I dont see how its a health issue its outdoors your not getting any second hand smoke unless they are blowing it right into your face. If they are really concerned about the air quality why dont they do something about the smog first.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
If they are really concerned about the air quality why dont they do something about the smog first.

Because every American president is owned by corporations and will not pass laws that harm the very people that pay them off.

They only pass laws that affect the average man.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What exctly do they put in the water in california that turns everyone into a nutter?
I cant think of a single law that has been passed in cli recently that wasn't written by whackjobs.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I wonder when smoking will become illegal

I remember when I was in school and teachers used to smoke in the classrooms.

My mother is a smoker has been since I can remember I wonder how she is going to feel about banning smoking from every public place in the future.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I got back from a long awaited vacation to Egypt. My plan was that I was going to have a great time seeing all these awesome sights I had been dreaming about since I was 6. Got there and it was a nightmare, everybody smokes ( I have never smoked in my life) - they smoke everywhere, there is no non-smoking areas anywhere. To cut a long story short after 5 days in Cairo I had full scale bronchitis and had to go to the hospital. When they did x-rays on my chest they found that I had "smokers lung". Honestly there is no respectful way of smoking, I know this will rile all the smokers, and they will speak about their rights and how non-smokers are always preaching. Honestly you are depriving me of my rights and have the gall to lecture me on how you should have the right to do so. There is no place that you can smoke where your smoke will not affect others.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Well then myaneris I suggest you exercise your right as a consumer and buy an oxygen mask rather than try and take away my god given right to poison myself.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Well then myaneris I suggest you exercise your right as a consumer and buy an oxygen mask rather than try and take away my god given right to poison myself.

Is this like the God given right of women to remain indoors after dark in order that they can prevent being raped. Your argument is weak at best. You have the right to poison YOURSELF, not others. Will you and other smokers contribute to a refund for me not having a good time in Egypt because I struggled to breathe? And yes there is a lot of pollution in Egypt, but on New Years eve I had to stay in my hotel room as I couldn't breathe when I left the room. In the large hotel lobby you couldn't see the front desk as the room was filled with smoke.

posted on Jan, 27 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
mwm1331, I understand your point of view and actually i find you replied hilarious that would be an answer that my mother will give to a non-smoking person.

Mynaeris I understand how you feel also, can not stand smoking or smoke my self, after having major surgery the first night at the hospital it was an young girl that was admitted and room with me for the night she went in the bathroom and smoke, when I walk into the restroom I took all the smoke that she left behind and for weeks I felt that I was short of breath.

I complain about it but the girl was gone by the morning, I stay alone in the room for the remaining of my stay, but I could smell the smoke for weeks and felt that it was in my chest.

new topics

top topics

join