It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whisky

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

I don't even know what a "peaty" whisky would taste like... but by the sounds of your descriptions, you guys are making me think it has a strong skunky aftertaste ?

If that's the case, blah.

Vanilla, caramel, slightly woodsy, just a wee dash of peppery spice, and low on the fruity undertones... those are the flavour combinations that my pallet seems to enjoy.

I definitely want to give Corby a try though, but I'm thinking it might be a bit too much on the spice side ?

Guess I'll find out.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Glen morangie lasanta where i am this bottle is reasonably priced for the market at $83 Brilliant im tippping a glass right now. Lovely rose coloured dram, bright fruity nose, smooth of the palllet, light dry lingering finish, nose has a marshmallow hint, i cant put my finger on the fruit, very refrwhing it does have a solid oak hit though.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Based on what you just said corby is your ticket. 36 bucks where im at but id give out ounce for ounce anything in my cabinet as a trade.

Do you have any marsh or bogs near you? Its a wet, woody, earthy taste. Tastes like dirt, moss, mountain wetness. The ilsay malts have a briney taste in there as well. Most people think of peaty scotches when they think scotch. Lagavulin 16 is as smooth as silk. But tastes of tobaccoo leather, iodine and peat.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

LOL, yup we're surrounded by marshland where I live. So I can totally understand the flavours (smells) you're describing.

Moose country, central eastern Manitoba... a hop skip and a jump from the Ontario border. It's all wetlands around here no matter which direction you spit in.

Otherwise known as skeeter heaven.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Cool winter walk in tthe marsh, thats peat. Not skunky marsh but that weird, wet, muddy, vegetation smell.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Corby comes out of ontario bet its cheaper where you are at im in British Columbia. I love my peat malts when im up in the mountains. Honestly, lagavulin16 is BC coastal mountains in a glass. Freaking love the stuff. Its misleading because that scotch comes fro a place no where like it....
edit on PMAmerica/Chicago210511pm by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

The smell of peat covered tundra after a heavy rainfall.

Love that smell.

Not so sure I'd care for the taste though.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Id hazard a say you wouldnt. They use dried peat to smoke the malt before distilling. So its a very unique flavour.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: macpdm

Balvenie 21 is my favorite.

Best bang for the buck. You can go more expensive, but you're just paying more money. Of course, one has to try for himself to know this to be true.

This thread's participants would be very fine parlor company along with a box of fine Cuban cigars.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I'd be happy to oblige.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
This thread's participants would be very fine parlor company along with a box of fine Cuban cigars.

I'll bring the Monte #2's.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I guess that leaves me with the vessels, tumblers, snifters, glass, crystal or stone gentlemen?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Just curious if anyone in here is making their own?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma
I guess that leaves me with the vessels, tumblers, snifters, glass, crystal or stone gentlemen?

I have some imported whisky glasses that we can use. I wish I could find a few more.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I had a 17 year old bottle of crown royal Rye whiskey. It was covered in dust and hidden away at the back of the top shelf.

How do heresies such as this even happen ?!

A bottle of Crown Royal collecting dust ?

For shame !

But I have to ask.... did that 17 year old bottle of gold go down as smooth as a baby's bottom ?

Crown Royal in our house doesn't even get a chance to get a breath of fresh air before it completely disappears down our thirsty gullets.

True story, I was working for a military contractor in edenvale, a small suburb in eastern Johannesburg and the store was two doors down from us on van reibeck. Anyway, I went in to buy a bottle of ballantines and happened to ask the owner if he had any Canadian Rye. He told me that in 1974, he had a local customer who wanted crown royal, so he brought in a case of 12. The customer bought most of them over time and eventually left the country in the late 70's, but he thought he still might have some so he searched the store. He found three bottles, aged 4 years and all bottled in 73, up on the top shelf in the back. So, I bought them one at a time in 1986/87.

I lived near Alberton (dinwiddie), so at my local liquor store in Alberton mall, I ordered a case of 12 Canadian club 40 Oz bottles. Just to let you know how bad taxes really are, I paid just over 120 rand for the case, including shipping. So, in dollars, that was a 4 bucks a bottle or $1 for every 10 ounces. The government has quite a criminal enterprise running in Canada, eh.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Mate, thats prettt raw. I pay 36 canadian dollars for my preferred rye here. 750ml. 26oz That being corby lot 40.... eff me sideways
edit on PMAmerica/Chicago431011pm by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Good afternoon whisky ladies and whisky gentlemen! (For time travelers, insert correct time of day)

Uneducated beer dude posting here. Sudden impulse purchase, cheap whisky from a friend. Then i headed to grocery store to buy tobacco and coca cola and i forgot the cola. What a hole head... I really dislike whisky taste. I can't say "hate" because hatred is an emotion i used to feed with other negative emotions and then the hate grew stronger and stronger and almost swallowed me whole. And then i killed it. Therefore, i can't "hate" but i can "really dislike"

But i like the effects so here we go.

Long John blended scotch whisky 40% special reserve one liter.

In my understanding, blended stuff is not that good. Single malt is appreciated when it comes to whisky people. And aged stuff also, maybe not centuries but like 16 years easily. This stuff has not matured at all, it says 2018 on the bottle... Somehow i have a feeling i am about to get seriously frowned upon by whisky fans.
What am i dealing with? The "Foster's" of the whisky world?

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

It's most popular in France, that's all you need to know.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join