It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Whisky

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Have you tried the quinta ruban bottling of glen morangie? Its got a really bright profile. Stewed fruit, dates, raisins, burnt sugar, carmel, honeys, i'm pretty sure its finished in rum buttes.

I like glen fiddich. I havent tried a thirty yet, i have an 18 and a 21 i have tried the 25 its pretty good. I find glen fiddich definitely gets better the older it gets. Glen livet 18 and 21 taste pretty much the same to me i havent bothered going older. I really love glen morangie, i had an aberfeldie 21 it didnt last long. Honey, light smoke, cereals, heather very light peat. I woulfnt buy another bottle how ever.

Currently im into the astringent and peat monsters. But i love love love a highlands. Anything finished in a sherry cask easily wins my heart. Aberlour , glen dronach, glen farklas, glen garioch, glen morangie, the dalmore....

I think im gonna have a glass now.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

I've tried forty creek, it's too sweet for my taste buds.

And I find gibson's a bit too dry for my gullet... corby 40 I've never tried though, so I'll definitely grab a bottle of that the next time I hit the liquor store.

I'm always up for trying out new whiskys, but so far nothing has struck the perfect balance with me like Crown has... not too sweet, not too dry, not too oakey.

Also Crown seems to be one of the few whiskys that don't burn the crap out of my stomach (ulcer) within half an hour of consuming.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Wonderful! I dont have many whisky bars where i am. Most carry the usual, glen livet, glen fiddich, now and then a dalwhinnie, or dalmore, not much for options though.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Martin75 Hell yeah this is good,theres a bottle in my cabinet-well,part of a bottle.All their stuff is good,blue flame will bite,lol.Popcorn Sutton made the best `shine ever,RIP.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I admit i like crown black label. I am a straight whiskey snob i have anywhere from 12 -16 different bottles on the go at any given time. I like rye, bourbon, scotch and irish whisky. Some i have had for many years and only come out on occasion.

I think you will quite like the corby lot 40. You sound like you have a similar but different taste than me. Corby is well balanced and the color is romantic. I cant do sweet for more than a single glass, which is fine but whisky is my preferred beverage. When i entertain, or go out i do like to have more than one although i am not a glutten and can happily enjoy a single glass. At these times i tend to look for spirits with great experience, history and something to chew on.

I hope you like it. Other than crown anything you care to recommend? Im open to trying other crown royal, im just disapointed with their mainstay. Like i said the black label is far more enjoyable but it doubles up on the oak and has some maple and spice to offer.

edit on PMAmerica/Chicago240311pm by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma
Have you tried the quinta ruban bottling of glen morangie? Its got a really bright profile. Stewed fruit, dates, raisins, burnt sugar, carmel, honeys, i'm pretty sure its finished in rum buttes.

I have, I got my brother a bottle last Christmas and we had a few glasses. Outstanding.

I like glen fiddich. I havent tried a thirty yet, i have an 18 and a 21 i have tried the 25 its pretty good. I find glen fiddich definitely gets better the older it gets. Glen livet 18 and 21 taste pretty much the same to me i havent bothered going older. I really love glen morangie, i had an aberfeldie 21 it didnt last long. Honey, light smoke, cereals, heather very light peat. I woulfnt buy another bottle how ever.

The interesting thing is William Grant owns both the Balvenie and the Glenfiddich, they are right across the street from each other. I usually keep Glenlivet 15 since I have not noticed a huge difference in the ages myself. Glenmorengie and Aberfeldie are also very tasty.

Currently im into the astringent and peat monsters. But i love love love a highlands. Anything finished in a sherry cask easily wins my heart. Aberlour , glen dronach, glen farklas, glen garioch, glen morangie, the dalmore....

I think im gonna have a glass now.

I have a peated whisky every once in awhile as I keep them handy for guests. They also have their high points but I cannot do too much of them or it fries my palate.

Another couple I love are Springbank and Bowmore as you get a bit of a salt tang from these malts.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I didn't enjoy the black label as much, it was a little too harsh for me... it burned going down. Same with the Limited Edition they came out with last year (or was it the year before?), I just didn't care for it. I like a smooth experience when it comes to whisky sipping.

But whatever you do, stay the hell away from the maple syrup crown royal. It's so sweet it'll make your teeth drop out. We also have the apple crown royal, but again, it was too sweet and reminded me of apple juice. Hubby seems to really enjoy it though.

I'm not much of a whisky snob, so I'm always willing to try new things no matter what they're price range.

For whatever reason though, I always end up falling back to my trusty ol' Crown Royal.

I can sip her straight up, or I can dress her up with a splash of gingerale if I'm in it for the long haul (all night bender)... either way she hasn't failed me yet.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Some excellent ideas & responses we are brothers & sisters of the dram

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Other than crown anything you care to recommend?

Have you ever tried Pike Creek ?

That's one I enjoy too... again it seems to have just the right blend for me not too dry and not too oakey. There's some slight caramel taste to it, but not enough to overpower to the point of too much sweetness.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Gingerale is a pleasant additive to gibsons. They balance nicely. I will give it a go, i dont know where you are but corby is reasonably priced where im at.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I started my journey with what I understand is a typical beginning with Glenlivet. Truly believing the 12 was the greatest scotch ever made

Then I made my way up the scale with several Balvenie bottles...I was impressed but moved on. I tried to get into Laphroaig and it was ok...but I found my home with Oban 14

Canadians are decent...working on Caribou Crossing Single.

Now I am also on a bourbon kick

but still...that Oban 14...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
It was sealed but there was an inch lost off the original volume.

wat?
hows that possible then??

i prefer rum or high grade sake myself

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Mate oban is like liquid sex...

You my good man need to find and indukge in some corby lot 40. Fantastic stuff! Well priced and hits you right in the feels. Brilliant nose, very spicy. Ikd sweet, good cereal, vanilla and caramel hit, nice chewy oak medium dry finish.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
For those of you who can get your noses past a scotch whisky, my hats off to you all.

Because I sure as hell can't.

Oof, it's an acquired taste I could never overcome.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

He's implying his cork or cap let it take the angels share.

I have a hard time with this although i will not protest. If a cork spoils, it rots the batch. Ive never heard of a whiskey aging in glass, but i'd be damned to reject a snift.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I bet youd like sherried scotch or highlands. Glen morangie nectar d'or is disasterously smooth, vanilla, biscuits and honeg, sweet floral nose, medium dry finish.

As oppossd to laphroig, iodine, salt, whisps of thick smoke, tar, peat, wet mountain dirt, kelp, mmmmmmmmmmm

I always share my laphroig with climbing buddies as it capturez the spirit of the wet coast perfectly.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

It's in my local store!

guess I need to head out

I will report back

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Ho ho ho let me know what you think. I frigging love that stuff!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Crown Royal has a cap, and caps are not always guaranteed to be air tight even though they're supposed to be.

This means that oxygen could evaporate some of the alcohol content in the bottle over a long period of time like what he described... so it is possible that it could be a bit smoother going down ?

But that's just a guess on my part because we've never had a bottle of whisky sitting around long enough to find out.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It shouldnt though. Im not saying it couldnt. Whisky gets smoother as it ages in wood not because it loses alcohol but the wood absorbs the water and the alcohol takes sugars, and other chemicals from the wood. Many well aged whisky's come out of their casks far stronger than many would venture to taste. You are right how ever some do lose alcohol, but this in turn does not provide a smoother whisky.

I have some whisky which has cask strength of 60%ABV it is not enjoyable at that level but ive had some crap whiskys at 40% That burn far more. My uegedael is 65% i usuallly knock it down with a splash of water to balance out id say 45% smooth as effing silk, but extremely peaty. When i say extreme youd smell it and slap me.

Whisky is a wonderful, magickal thing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join