It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Gitmo Delusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

In January 2009, President Obama signed executive orders directing the CIA to shut what remains of its network of "secret" prisons and ordering the closing of the Guantánamo detention camp within a year.[44] However, he postponed difficult decisions on the details for at least six months.On 7 March 2011, President Obama issued an executive order that permits ongoing indefinite detention of Guantánamo detainees.

The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 would have authorized indefinite detention of suspected terrorists, but enforcement of the relevant section was blocked by a federal court ruling in the case of Hedges v. Obama on 16 May 2012, a suit brought by a number of private citizens, including Chris Hedges, Daniel Ellsberg, Noam Chomsky, and Birgitta Jónsdóttir.

The government sidestepped the ruling, however, saying "The government construes this Court's Order as applying only as to the named plaintiffs in this suit." As of November 2016, the detention center was in operation. However, President Obama announced the proposal of plans for the detention center's closure with all detainees being transferred to holding centers in the U.S.

Well, Obamas tenure as President of the United States concludes in a matter of months...and he never closed Gitmo despite his multiple [campaign] promises to do so...

Why are liberals so quick to point out republicans for not adhering to their campaign promises?

Remember liberals(Bill Clinton in particular) hammering George HW Bush for increasing taxes in order to get a massive bill pushed through?
"No new taxes" Was played on a loop for the better part of the year during the 92 election…

So why is president Obama not held to the same standard?
I think it's obvious...but liberalism in the msm is not the point of this op...

This is the point:
The terrorists at Gitmo are terrifically bad people....
If the morally bankrupt Attorney General Eric Holder couldn't find an excuse to free them then they were beyond even his amoral equivocating...
Especially seeing as how Holder has sought out terrorists to defend pro bono in his private life prior to assuming the mantle of Attorney General...

So to my liberal ATS friends, do y'all question why Obama has not fulfilled his multiple promises to close Gitmo??
What do y'all think his reasoning is behind keeping it open in perpetuity??

-Christosterone

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Actually, out of the less than a hundred detainees left, many are due for release, & some are being deported...

But there is a handful who are determined to be a threat and there is nowhere else to put them.
Because that would take a trial...
And that would mean using evidence gained through torture which would be inadmissible....
And then they'd be free to roam the United States.

Those handful (12 I think) of prisoners are why Gitmo is still open.

It's nothing to do with broken promises or Liberalism.
That's just simplified buffoonery.

Edit: according to Colin Powel Bush also promised to close Guantanamo Bay.
It's nothing to do with Liberalism.
edit on 15-11-2016 by Hazardous1408 because: Additional info.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Lol...ok

Then President Obama is a full on hypocritical fool then(2008) and now(2016)..
Jesus dude, he is living in a fantasy land where he says things that not false, they are pure fantasy....and he gets away with it from a press fawning over his every utterance...

It's ludicrous..

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Campaign platform promises ride the tide of public sentiment brought to us by the main stream media.

a) Its not up to Obama and b) how can you have a war without POWs?

Even if theres only a handful it fills in part of the equation. But also begs the question, how come there aren't more? We spend a lot of money to defeat the army of terror, where are they all?

Body counts and prisoners notwithstanding, something smells about the whole narrative.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

The terrorists at Gitmo are terrifically bad people

Actually on more than one occuasion the CIA picked people up by mistake a totured them, only to find out they had the wrong person.

Also torturing people and keeping them detained without trial will turn even innocent person into a animal.

I doubt if the CIA picked you up by msiatke and tortured you for months that you would have much love for the USA?

If the morally bankrupt Attorney General Eric Holder couldn't find an excuse to free them then they were beyond even his amoral equivocating...

Then put them in front of a military Tribunal and give them some sort of trial and then sentance them to life or shoot them.

I think Obama is a sellout POS.

He should of given the inmates some sort of "due Process" even if it is just a military Tribunal.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So you guys think Obama was a weak fool because congress kept stopping him in his tracks ?

Hoo boy.... I can't wait for those exact same republicans to stop Trump in his tracks every time he attempts to do something, because they too can't stand this new guy either.

Yup, these next four years are going to be a real hoot.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Well, Obamas tenure as President of the United States concludes in a matter of months...and he never closed Gitmo despite his multiple [campaign] promises to do so...

Why are liberals so quick to point out republicans for not adhering to their campaign promises?

The typical president gets about 40% of their campaign promises enacted. Obama scored far better than that, getting about 33% enacted in full and another 33% partially. If Trump only gets 25% enacted, it's perfectly reasonable to call him out for it. He needs time to try and enact them or not though.

So to my liberal ATS friends, do y'all question why Obama has not fulfilled his multiple promises to close Gitmo??

I don't question it at all, I actually know the reasoning. Even if we close Gitmo these prisoners are going to remain in US custody. We don't have any prisons secure enough to hold them, and no state wants to be the site where we build one to do so because of the security risk. It's remaining open basically because we don't have any other options. I don't see Gitmo as a failure of Obama though, it's one of those promises he had partial success on because he was able to significantly reduce the number of people we keep there. He also opened it up to additional transparency and put an end to torture taking place at the facility. These days it's basically a maximum security prison and nothing more.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Are you sure Clinton said that about George H. W. Bush? I clearly remember Bush himself saying that.

On the Obama point, you are quite correct. He promised it over and over and it did not happen. Though I disagree with your point about "terrifically bad people." Without trials and due to the fact that the US military paid bounties, we cannot know that all those prisoners are guilty of anything besides living in a war-torn country.

"Liberals", and everyone, does have the right, however, to hold Trump to his promises. Every president should follow through on his promises, regardless of party.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Gitmo- that's that place Obama was gonna close asap right after becoming president right? Like 8 years ago?

top topics

join