It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Non-American Members: What's up with ya?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hello to all who are lucky enough not to be caught up in the trainwreck that has taken over the site for the last several months. I've travelled to many countries and taught students from many others and would love to hear from you a little about the state of affairs in your country (things the news wouldn't likely cover). How would you consider your political/social/cultural environment to be right about now? What are you most excited about? Any fears/hopes for the future of your country? Any new artistic/scientific/cultural innovations?

So what's good International ATS? I'm eager to find out what's happening in your niche.

Can't wait to hear from you!
edit on 15-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Hello to all who are lucky enough not to be caught up in the trainwreck that has taken over the site for the last several months. I've travelled to many countries and taught students from many others and would love to hear from you a little about the state of affairs in your country (things the news wouldn't likely cover). How would you consider your political/social/cultural environment to be right about now? What are you most excited about? Any fears/hopes for the future of your country? Any new artistic/scientific/cultural innovations?

So what's good International ATS? I'm eager to find out what's happening in your niche.

Thanks for asking!

Things are a bit of a mess here in England but nothing out of the ordinary there sadly,

I cannot comment too much as recently decided to ignore politics from now on as it is simply absurd, check out footage of our MP's bickering like children if you want to see how embarresing it is.

On a side note I recently found out that you can be evicted from social housing if arrested in a riot situation which I find somewhat unusual and also disturbing.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I cannot comment too much as recently decided to ignore politics from now on as it is simply absurd, check out footage of our MP's bickering like children if you want to see how embarresing it is.

On a side note I recently found out that you can be evicted from social housing if arrested in a riot situation which I find somewhat unusual and also disturbing.

Hi, thanks for the response!

I think you've made a wise decision as far as distancing yourself from the political climate. I don't see many moderates anymore, or any willingness to compromise, discuss an issue in a reasonable way, or come to a consensus. Perhaps the hysteria will die down (now I'm curious though to find a vid of your MPs--if only to reassure myself that political insanity is universal
)

"Riot situation"-- what does that mean exactly? I agree that it's a bit disconcerting, particularly with such vague language.

Cheers! (Been to England-- loved it! Especially the people I met.)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Hi, thanks for the response!

I think you've made a wise decision as far as distancing yourself from the political climate. I don't see many moderates anymore, or any willingness to compromise, discuss an issue in a reasonable way, or come to a consensus. Perhaps the hysteria will die down (now I'm curious though to find a vid of your MPs--if only to reassure myself that political insanity is universal
)

"Riot situation"-- what does that mean exactly? I agree that it's a bit disconcerting, particularly with such vague language.

Cheers! (Been to England-- loved it! Especially the people I met.)

I am a lot happier now I ignore politics, it used to make me really angry at times

As to the riot situation it seems that they are just making sure that we do not speak out against our overlords and if we do will be made legally homeless....

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Thanks for asking!

Things are a bit of a mess here in England but nothing out of the ordinary there sadly,

Still on your hiatus Non? It's been like 4 months.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Hi OP.

Nothing much to report from Scotland, except, all the news from America, also the crappy politics from Teresa May and same with Scottish politics aren't much better from Brexit.

Hopefully when it's all said and done we can all move on with a better future, if that happens, now with Donald trump as president the world will change.

Other than that everything is as normal.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I am a lot happier now I ignore politics, it used to make me really angry at times

As to the riot situation it seems that they are just making sure that we do not speak out against our overlords and if we do will be made legally homeless....

It seems as if our rights have been eroding for some time here as well. I don't see any plans for restoration of these rights.

Hope I'm wrong though!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Well, we recently observed Rememberance Day, and also mourned anew the death of Jo Cox, Labour MP. She was shot by a far right terrorist who described himself as "a political activist" upon arrest. The victim was shot three times, twice in the head, and once in the chest, not to mention stabbed repeatedly with a dagger, while her attacker spouted rhetoric with every blow.

www.theguardian.com...

She died in June. She was an advocate of remaining in the European Union, but also a wife, a mother of two young children, neither old enough to understand (if anyone really ever ages enough to understand such senseless murder, and a tireless campaigner for the defenceless in society, and for her constituency more broadly. By all accounts, a wonderful, friendly young Member of Parliament, and a decent human being, oddly enough given her profession.

She held opinions which differ to mine on the issue of our membership of the European Union, but she was not a monster. She was a human being, who now lays dead at the hand of a man taken up with tyrannical views, who probably thought he was making a stand for freedom. The bloody moron. The trial of her killer continues.

It is a travesty that ANY far right fundamentalist even EXISTS in this country, given our involvement in the Second World War. You would have thought that every patriot from Lands End to John O' Groats would be utterly opposed to taking on fascism, purely out of respect to their ancestors. But it seems that some people have failed to learn two very important lessons from history. First, the British will rise and conquer any that threaten its people, its parliament, or its peace. Second, fascism lost. Everyone opposed to it won, AND ALWAYS DAMNED WELL WILL!

edit on 15-11-2016 by TrueBrit because: grammatical error removed.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Hi OP.

Nothing much to report from Scotland, except, all the news from America, also the crappy politics from Teresa May and same with Scottish politics aren't much better from Brexit.

Hopefully when it's all said and done we can all move on with a better future, if that happens, now with Donald trump as president the world will change.

Hi friend! Thanks for the info
Seems as if tumultuous politics are the standard in quite a few places!

I've been to Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Edinburgh was fascinating, and I loved the marble in Aberdeen.

Have you heard of a band called Young Fathers? They're from Edinburgh and really great musicians.

Check em out here:

Thanks for the reply! Hope you're right that the world is headed towards a better place!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It was less of a hiatus and more of a drug and drink fueled homeless induced bender but yes I am back

Still avoiding the politics though...

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

She died in June. She was an advocate of remaining in the European Union, but also a wife, a mother of two young children, neither old enough to understand (if anyone really ever ages enough to understand such senseless murder, and a tireless campaigner for the defenceless in society, and for her constituency more broadly. By all accounts, a wonderful, friendly young Member of Parliament, and a decent human being, oddly enough given her profession.

I remember reading about this.. but was unaware that she left behind two small children. Thanks for that information-- of course each life is infinitely precious-- but when you add to the equation two kids who will grow up motherless-- well the tragedy increases manifold.

Second, fascism lost. Everyone opposed to it won, AND ALWAYS DAMNED WELL WILL!

Yes may the people always prevail!!!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Hi OP.

Hi friend! Thanks for the info
Seems as if tumultuous politics are the standard in quite a few places!

I've been to Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Edinburgh was fascinating, and I loved the marble in Aberdeen.

Have you heard of a band called Young Fathers? They're from Edinburgh and really great musicians.

Check em out here:

Thanks for the reply! Hope you're right that the world is headed towards a better place!

Thanks for the reply, my sister lives in Edinburgh and i used to live in UpHall near Livingston, never heard of the band you mentioned but will look at the vid

Ps, we can all hope for a better future or place to live, it should happen but not sure when.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

It was less of a hiatus and more of a drug and drink fueled homeless induced bender but yes I am back

Well I decided to quit drinking in Jan.. I really enjoyed the barley but have kids and just didn't want them to grow up with alcohol around..and am absolutely loving life

Best of luck to you.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Well I decided to quit drinking in Jan.. I really enjoyed the barley but have kids and just didn't want them to grow up with alcohol around..and am absolutely loving life

Best of luck to you.

I do like a drink myself, having a beer just now lol but don't have kids, yet, when i do i probably won't drink much or at all around them.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I do like a drink myself, having a beer just now lol but don't have kids, yet, when i do i probably won't drink much or at all around them.

lol, enjoy!

Yes, I think that's an excellent plan.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Best of luck to you.

Long story short i found myself all alone and with no reason not to so ended up on a bit of a mad adventure.

firmly back in the "real world" now unfortunatley

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Political environment, finally moving forwards it feels. Our government recently became much more inclusive of women as well as the cultures that are part of our nation. Defense minister is a sikh, we have aboriginal peoples represented now as well. I feel very safe.

My only fear has to do with the explosive rise in housing costs. I literally live in the most expensive part of my country. Food, housing, insurance, fuel are some of the highest costs anywhere and the wage is one of the lowest.

Im not sure what the answer is but there have been some changes to who can purchase property here, in an effort to curb foreign investors buying up property. This has driven up the cost of properties and we have a serious need for housing of any kind here.

As well recently there is a tax for homes that are vacant. People buy property in and around the city and just keep them as investments, no tenants, no residence. So now there is a tax if you do this. 1% of its market value. And huge fines if you are caught lying. If you use the residence on and off and prove it you dont have to be taxed as long as long as the time spent adds up to at least 6 months.

Im hopeful this helps the situation, the market just went through a frenzy as well which put me and my wife oht of the race to buy house right now. Average house price is 450,000 where i live and thats a modest home. Current down payment for first time buyers is 20%...

As well, we are a well known supplier of medical marijuana, our government is making strides to legalize and tax marijuana. This should help change things here as well, put some money back in the economy and create some new businesses here. I mean its decriminalized and its not my preferred past time but ive not known anyone personally who seemed to suffer from using it. In fact it seems to help quite a few people i know with some serious medical issues.

I feel like that sums up the general position in my country of residence right now.

Culturally lets see..... christmas light maze coming soon. Christmas market... ummmmm yeah hoping for some snow... ha ha thats about it my friend.

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Long story short i found myself all alone and with no reason not to so ended up on a bit of a mad adventure.

firmly back in the "real world" now unfortunatley

Hmm.. Your comment reminded me of the great Italian poet.

INFERNO

"Midway in our life's journey, I went astray
from the straight road and woke to find myself
alone in a dark wood. How shall I say

what wood that was! I never saw so drear,
so rank, so arduous a wilderness!
Its very memory gives a shape to fear.

Death could scarce be more bitter than that place!
But since it came to good, I will recount
all that I found revealed there by God's grace."
Inferno, Canto I, lines 1-9

Mad adventures are not without their benefit (so long as we survive them)! Just ask Alice

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Canada just signed a massive trade agreement with the EU on October 30th (CETA).

It's the largest trade agreement we've signed since NAFTA in the 90's, so this one is a big deal.

I'm not so sure I'm keen on the agreement because of the Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS) aspect of it... the thing smells too much like the TPP/TTIP proposed agreements which I am vehemently against.

I'm not in favour of corporations having any kind of say over sovereign nations on how business disputes are handled.

I guess time will tell whether or not this agreement is for the betterment of all of our countries involved or whether it turns out to be a nightmare like NAFTA.

Next up:

Hashing out trade agreements with the UK once they've competely stepped away from the EU.
edit on 15-11-2016 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

Political environment, finally moving forwards it feels. Our government recently became much more inclusive of women as well as the cultures that are part of our nation. Defense minister is a sikh, we have aboriginal peoples represented now as well. I feel very safe.

My only fear has to do with the explosive rise in housing costs. I literally live in the most expensive part of my country. Food, housing, insurance, fuel are some of the highest costs anywhere and the wage is one of the lowest.

Im not sure what the answer is but there have been some changes to who can purchase property here, in an effort to curb foreign investors buying up property. This has driven up the cost of properties and we have a serious need for housing of any kind here.

As well recently there is a tax for homes that are vacant. People buy property in and around the city and just keep them as investments, no tenants, no residence. So now there is a tax if you do this. 1% of its market value. And huge fines if you are caught lying. If you use the residence on and off and prove it you dont have to be taxed as long as long as the time spent adds up to at least 6 months.

Im hopeful this helps the situation, the market just went through a frenzy as well which put me and my wife oht of the race to buy house right now. Average house price is 450,000 where i live and thats a modest home. Current down payment for first time buyers is 20%...

As well, we are a well known supplier of medical marijuana, our government is making strides to legalize and tax marijuana. This should help change things here as well, put some money back in the economy and create some new businesses here. I mean its decriminalized and its not my preferred past time but ive not known anyone personally who seemed to suffer from using it. In fact it seems to help quite a few people i know with some serious medical issues.

I feel like that sums up the general position in my country of residence right now.

Culturally lets see..... christmas light maze coming soon. Christmas market... ummmmm yeah hoping for some snow... ha ha thats about it my friend.

Hey thanks for the detailed and interesting response! Glad to hear that you have diversified the representatives of your government. I think a variety of opinion serves to benefit discourse and the generation of ideas, not to mention the importance of validating cultural minorities by giving them a voice.

In my state, we too have a housing "crisis". Even a modest apartment costs around $1800 a month, which is beyond the reach of many salaries. The average home here costs $355, 800 (just looked it up) so it's not much better than where you live.

Glad to hear that you are making steps towards providing those in need with medical marijuanna! It is markedly better than many of the drugs peddled by the pharmeceutical companies.. although where I'm from, there should be more oversight about the chemicals used in the grow.

Hope you get some snow soon! It's been too warm here.. hardly feels like November.. snow would be nice.

The Christmas light maze sounds beautiful

top topics

<<   2 >>

join